Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jumper at Norwood Junction last night

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
the full harris said:
I can't be bothered to read through the rest of this thread past the first page, but I couldn't read anymore of the absolute rot I was presented with (with a coupel of exceptions).

If someone is so mentally disturbed that they want to kill themselves, what could POSSIBLY make anyone think they would be in any rational state of mind?!

All of you who say 'suicide is selfish' or 'jumping in front of a train' is selfish, please don't. It is really really offensive.

Do you commute by any off chance ?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Another fatality at Hassocks today.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
bhaexpress said:
Do you commute by any off chance ?

No, I don't but that is irrelevant.

To be quite honest, and I don't mean to be rude, but when someone has been at such a personal low, felt they have no reason to live, experienced such deep deep pain that they'd rather end it all, I'm not particularly bothered if you missed Corrie. I appreciate the point about the trauma endured by the railway employees who have to deal with the aftermath but, in no way, do I see that as any reason to label someone who has just taken their own life as 'selfish'.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
the full harris said:
No, I don't but that is irrelevant.

To be quite honest, and I don't mean to be rude, but when someone has been at such a personal low, felt they have no reason to live, experienced such deep deep pain that they'd rather end it all, I'm not particularly bothered if you missed Corrie. I appreciate the point about the trauma endured by the railway employees who have to deal with the aftermath but, in no way, do I see that as any reason to label someone who has just taken their own life as 'selfish'.

Actually, if you'd had read the whole thread you'd have seen the post by somebody who worked for the Samaritans, he described the action as selfish. As he's had the benefit of training I would have said that he has a valid opinion. As a matter of fact yerday and today I wasn't affected but plenty were and will be. Mind you I have been in the past.

Thing is for what it's worth I contemplated suicide myself not so long ago but I knew full well that jumping in front of a train wasn't an option because it would have been very selfish to incovenience others apart from anything else. Safest bet is a high dive off Beachy head of hit a few Boots and get a large selecion of Nightol, painless and no mess.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We don't all sing from the same hymn sheet in life, we don't all have to agree, both sides of the argument are valid for their own reasons. No one is right, no one is wrong, it's just opinions.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
bhaexpress said:
Actually, if you'd had read the whole thread you'd have seen the post by somebody who worked for the Samaritans, he described the action as selfish. As he's had the benefit of training I would have said that he has a valid opinion. As a matter of fact yerday and today I wasn't affected but plenty were and will be. Mind you I have been in the past.

Thing is for what it's worth I contemplated suicide myself not so long ago but I knew full well that jumping in front of a train wasn't an option because it would have been very selfish to incovenience others apart from anything else. Safest bet is a high dive off Beachy head of hit a few Boots and get a large selecion of Nightol, painless and no mess.

With the greatest respect to a Samaritans worker, they do an extremely valuable job, but they are not experts in psychiatry. Admittedly neither am I.

I am sorry to hear you had a tough time not so long ago but, again, with the greatest respect, every situation is different. My point was that the person who jumped in front of the train may very well have not been of sane mind and consequently it seems very harsh to call them 'selfish'.

Equally, you could argue that someone who commits something horrific such as the Dunblan tragedy before killing themselves is evil and you might question whether I would argue that they were more ill than evil. That's a difficult question and, to be honest, I'd struggle to give an answer.

However, that is very different a situation to someone jumping in front of the train.

I was merely saying that I found the, almost flippant, way that yesterday's suicide victim (and, yes, they are a victim in my eyes) was labelled as 'selfish' really quite offensive.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'll leave it at that but you're right, life is cheap at the end of the day.

accidentoct12.jpg

this is a collision between a car and a motor cyclist in Brighton last night

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Lokki 7 said:
I'm not sure I get your point with your posts on this topic. Are you really arguing that people who choose to earn their livings working 9-5 in an office environment should take unexpected death and tragedy in their stride without comment? If they choose to deal with death in a flippant, comedic or even heartless manner then who are you to judge. We all have different ways of dealing with our own mortality. This is an internet message board, not the poor chaps funeral service and it hurts no one. Your first hand experience of death and trauma may equip you with a more rounded perspective, but ultimately it was your choice to enter that world with all that it entails. As has been mentioned, the train driver did not expect the same experiences when he/she signed on the dotted line.

No, but some of the people on here are choosing to make out that the guy did this purely to make them late for football/tea, etc, when I am sure the last thing on his mind was to log on to NSC, see what someone had planned, then decide to wait for that person's train. I have seen many stress-related suicides and attempted suicides, and whilst the collateral damage is huge, a desire to make one final selfish statement is not normally high on their list of priorities.

It appears that on this board some people (dare I say, a group) don't like to have their opinions questioned or challenged, and they tend to pack up and turn on people that do. Making a joke about someone who can no longer cope with his life, no matter what reason, is shallow, ignorant, and betrays a lack of compassion.

A story was related about an Albion fan who did the same, yet none of them called him selfish - suppose someone on here did it, and we can all see that there are some on here who are dealing with massive stress at the moment. Whilst it "hurts no-one", you have no idea who reads this board, or who registers and doesn't post. Whilst we can all receive the benefit of the humour of the board, crass statements about suicide show some members up to be not just heartless, but ignorant. Whilst some posters seem happy to come across as professional arseholes, others seem just as happy to follow them down this route.

I don't denigrate commuters - you have a job, and it requires you to get from A to B. What I objected to was the manner in which they placed their tea, or the football, over someone's life.

As for the train driver - we all deal with the unexpected, and whilst it was traumatic for the driver, it will be equally traumatic for the people who are related to the man who committed suicide. Yes, my contract may well mean that my exposure to that sort of thing is enhanced, but I know many people who signed the same contract that I did who could not cope.

I expect to get hammered for this post, but I really couldn't give much of a toss to be honest. I'd rather simply be a Seagulls fan than become too closely associated with some of the attention-seeking hyenas on here.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
My son's just phoned to say he's going to be late because of another jumper (in the Clapham area?).

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
A mate of mine who drives for South West Trains had what he called a "one under" a few weeks ago. Really shook him up.

He's only been a qualified driver for a year, in that time, out of 8 of his training course, 4 have had a suicide to deal with.

The cost is horrendous to the train companies as they end up cancelling trains and losing a driver for weeks/months, some never drive again. Train delays and cacellations in the London are can have a huge knock on effect and cost tens of thousands of pounds.

I'm afraid I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who deliberately jumps in front of a train. Before anyone says I should be more sympathetic, my uncle committed suicide in front of a train, so I really do know what it's like from the family point of view. Still think it's a really selfish way of ending it all though.

HampshireSeagulls said:

A story was related about an Albion fan who did the same, yet none of them called him selfish

Not exactly the same but a very fair point. It is human nature to feel the pain of those we feel in some way close to that much more sharply. I'm sure people with relatives in Kashmir will generally feel more emotional after the quake than those who don't. But people die every day and we cannot grieve for them all.
NSC has an atmosphere of frivolity which is applied (due to the size of the community) to all subjects. That doesn't mean however that peolpe actually put their tv viewing above human life. I'm sure that they do not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here