Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

joey barton - gay footballers

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Fine give me the link to your 'accurate; report and I will decide whether you might be right....there still remains an allegation that couldn't go further due to his suicide.

Just how self-important are you going to get over the tragic suicide of someone in turmoil? As if your opinion holds any more sway than anyone else's. And that's all it was - an allegation; something to which, as you've already implied, you feel he is guilty until proven innocent, which says an awful lot about you and your re-stated attitude towards this matter.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/167715.stm

Suicide verdict on footballer Fashanu

Footballer Justin Fashanu, who was found hanging from the rafters of an east London garage, killed himself, an inquest has ruled.

Among the pressures he had been facing was a court charge in America of sexually assaulting a teenage boy. In a suicide note, he denied the allegation, but predicted that he would be treated unfairly because he was homosexual.

Recording a verdict of suicide, the Poplar coroner, Dr Stephen Ming Chan, said former Norwich City, Nottingham Forest and England under 21 striker died from hanging, but had also tried to cut his wrists. Dr Chan said: "All in all, it was a very tragic end for a man who had made a success of his life."

Fashanu, of Swiss Cottage, north London, was last seen alive leaving a health club, Chariots, in Shoreditch on Friday 1 May.

He then entered a garage across the road, beneath railway arches. He was found there the following day, hanging from the rafters by an electric flex next to a stack of car tyres. The inquest heard of allegations that Fashanu was wanted by police in the US for sexually assaulting a teenage boy.

Detective Constable Andrew Ormison, who is based in Shoreditch, said no charges were outstanding.

But after the hearing, a spokesman for Howard County police, in Maryland, said Fashanu was wanted for assault and sexual assault, although at the time they did not know he was back in the UK. As Fashanu's family - including his television presenter brother John - sat listening in court, the coroner read out the handwritten suicide note found in his Filofax.

In it, Fashanu referred to the incident involving the teenager. He wrote: "Being gay and a personality is so hard, but everybody has it hard at the moment, so I can't complain about that. I want to say I didn't sexually assault the young boy. He willingly had sex with me and then the next day asked for money.

"When I said no, he said 'you wait and see.' If that is the case, I hear you say, why did I run? Well, justice isn't always fair. I felt I wouldn't get a fair trial because of my homosexuality."

Friends said that only hours before his death, he had been talking optimistically about a new career.

His flatmate, Kaveh Abani, said: "He was friendly and very confident. He was happy and was starting a new career in broadcasting. He was talking about a pilot programme he wanted to do. He was talking about that and that he hoped it would be a success."

Fashanu's former girlfriend Marie Acuna - who had a daughter by him - also denied that he had been depressed. She said: "He was very happy. He was just looking forward to staying in England."

The coroner said Fashanu had appeared to triumph over prejudice about his colour and his homosexuality. But in the end the pressures, coupled with the alleged incident, had overwhelmed him.

He said: "Clearly he did not wish to cause more pain or more distress to his family or loved ones. Sadly he decided that death was the only way out for him."

So yes, you accept posters have expected 'outings' of players sexuality.

Yes, from the players themselves. You were talking aobut 'investigations' in order to out players. No-one was talking about that. Except you.

Difficult to comment on your last line, just a vague offer that says nothing of your real view.

Not vague at all. In fact, it couldn't be clearer. To everyone except you.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
After a few ales our Joey would be punching gays just like he does ordinary punters.

So, he stop googling for esoteric philosophical quotes, pretending to like The Smiths, get his hair cut and concentrate on doing his job - kicking the leather around the grass

The reason Barton spoke out is because he has a gay Uncle apparently.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
In what sense has things not changed ....... we didn't know then and we dont know now which players might be gay and no one gives a shit ..

Your discussion and your link showed predominately Justin Fashanu as the main victim of some perceived homophobic intolerance, but if you cared to look deeper there is no evidence that any of your drivel actually took place.

You may have now learnt that there was no particular footballing homophobia issues with him.

There was a non football serious sexual assault allegation against him that seems to have prompted his suicide and yes he was gay and happened to be black.

Your not provoking anything valid, its a silly comment based on some boorish supporters singing 'does your boyfriend know your here'.

I am bored of you faux offended people, helping me get through the day without pointing out the injustices of the world ... Just shut up !

Why don't you look past the issue of Fashanu? The problem is that 20 years after the FIRST gay footballer came out, not a single other has. The debate is about WHY. Is it because there are actually no gay footballers? Do footballers fear backlash from managers/other players/fans/media? If it is the latter then there is a massive problem, why should people have to hide who they are? Racism was a massive problem in football, i don't see why homophobia isn't treated the same.

If people didn't point out what is wrong in the world, we would still live under the arbitrary will of some inbred bloke who just happened to have been born into the right family. If you can't challenge injustice then what is the point of anything, f*** rights and f*** civil liberties, lets go back to the dark ages.

Last edited:

Of course, maybe they're not and are simply better at keeping their private lives private than their heterosexual team mates.

Or that most people think it's taboo to mention that Roy Rovers is rear-ending with Djimbi Bo, and that Roy is a 'top' man.

But whatever reason I hope it stays out of the public eye because I don't really want to start seeing it become 'news'

Why don't you look past the issue of Fashanu? The problem is that 20 years after the FIRST gay footballer came out, not a single other has. The debate is about WHY. Is it because there are actually no gay footballers? Do footballers fear backlash from managers/other players/fans/media? If it is the latter then there is a massive problem, why should people have to hide who they are? Racism was a massive problem in football, i don't see why homophobia isn't treated the same.

If people didn't point out what is wrong in the world, we would still live under the arbitrary will of some inbred bloke who just happened to have been born into the right family. If you can't challenge injustice then what is the point of anything, f*** rights and f*** civil liberties, lets go back to the dark ages.

Like the world even needs them to announce they are gay?
The whole issue about "coming out" is shite anyway - do we have to have players admit they like women? WTF should anyone care or need to hear it?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Like the world even needs them to announce they are gay?
The whole issue about "coming out" is shite anyway - do we have to have players admit they like women? WTF should anyone care or need to hear it?

It's not about 'needing' to hear it.

It's about if it is mentioned, it's accepted (or ignored) by society at large. At present, within football, it is still an issue because it is - wrongly - felt unacceptable.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Now there's the funny thing about some of these places isn't it? I used to know someone who worked in military intelligence- he was deployed on several occasions to Afghanistan. The Taliban were still in control of much of the country at the time, and imposing Sharia law, or at least very strict Islamic guidelines I guess. To your average Islamic fundamentalist (and maybe moderate, I'm not exactly an expert??) homosexuality is illegal and morally wrong.

However...what the military guys were also told as part of their briefings is that it was quite commonplace for the Taliban leaders, and presumably other men in the villages, to keep "house boys", that is to say young kids of around ten years of age or whatever, to service their personal needs. He suggested that it was, if you like, an open secret, in that everyone knew it went on but that it was simply viewed as something of a local custom, and that the troops shouldn't be surprised when they went into houses and found these kids kept in there.

So perhaps it's a case of "do as I say, not as I do" in some places?

Bacha bareesh - the 'beardless ones'. The Taliban leaders even issued directives to their fighters as to where their 'boys' were allowed in specific combat areas, as their gunmen were sometimes too pre-occupied with their young charges to fight NATO. In Kandahar the running joke is "Birds fly over Kandahar with one wing" meaning the other is guarding some other part of their anatomy.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It's not about 'needing' to hear it.

It's about if it is mentioned, it's accepted (or ignored) by society at large. At present, within football, it is still an issue because it is - wrongly - felt unacceptable.

Who the hell finds it unacceptable ... ?

People do not give a crap, you may wish to know the sexual activities of players, quite frankly it aint yours mine or anyone's business.....

No doubt you think it will help the world, it wont, its irrelevant, to all except you and a few others.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

So because you havent got your quota of players admitting their own sexuality, in this case homosexuality, you feel compelled to feel that the world needs your help.

Jeeeez, what a high opinion you have of your sense of injustices.

Its no more than tittle tattle, so give us all a break and help save the world and confess your own sexual preferences ..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Fair play Joey Barton. Who will be the first football club to field more than one openly gay player.....

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
As I've said, people inother countries who now supply a considerable number of players in the Premier Legue have a different viewpoint on male homosexuality.

A few months ago an extremely agonising article appeared in the "Observer Magazine" about male rape in African war-zones, specifically in the Congo region. Men were captured and gang-raped yet UN observers were told not to report this event but to concentrate on what happened to women. Men who had suffered this came unwillingly to doctors, some barely able to even sit down, and not in control of their bowel functions. They were rejected by their wives as "less than men" even though they had no option if they wanted to live.

Anyone who talks about the "Glory of homosexual love" should read that article. I doubt though if it's been put ion the net.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Who the hell finds it unacceptable ... ?

People do not give a crap, you may wish to know the sexual activities of players, quite frankly it aint yours mine or anyone's business.....

No doubt you think it will help the world, it wont, its irrelevant, to all except you and a few others.

Just because you don't find it 'unacceptable' doesn't mean that others do... As barton said, these dinosaurs in football still consider gay footballers to be of 'lesser' worth, and as max Clifford said, agents are against players coming out because it might reduce their fee.. do you not see anything wrong with that?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
So because you havent got your quota of players admitting their own sexuality, in this case homosexuality, you feel compelled to feel that the world needs your help.

Jeeeez, what a high opinion you have of your sense of injustices.

Its no more than tittle tattle, so give us all a break and help save the world and confess your own sexual preferences ..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wow what a load of nonsense, I couldn't care less whether a player is gay or straight, but can you not understand that in football if a player was to come out, or to be outed by other means they might feel victimized, and could possibly be tormented by fellow players/managers and fans? I'm guessing you haven't heard the Gary speed rumour?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Or that most people think it's taboo to mention that Roy Rovers is rear-ending with Djimbi Bo, and that Roy is a 'top' man.

But whatever reason I hope it stays out of the public eye because I don't really want to start seeing it become 'news'

It is only news when the first players openly admit to being gay. The point most people are making NMH is that they want a state where it isn`t an issue anymore because enough players are open about it because they don`t feel they will be discriminated against.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Here is my two peneth worth.

Peoples lives are not an episode of Glee. Why is it important that a person must walk around wearing their sexuality on their sleeve? If a player wants to "come out" then of course he should be able to do so without being pilloried. If not then fine, that is his business.

I must say some people start sounding all sanctimonious when they get on to this subject.

It is only news when the first players openly admit to being gay. The point most people are making NMH is that they want a state where it isn`t an issue anymore because enough players are open about it because they don`t feel they will be discriminated against.

It appears there must be a lot of 'gay curious' people then, because it seems a subject that has so nothing-to-do-with-anything, that it appears having it be an issue is ....more of an issue.

Wow what a load of nonsense, I couldn't care less whether a player is gay or straight, but can you not understand that in football if a player was to come out, or to be outed by other means they might feel victimized, and could possibly be tormented by fellow players/managers and fans? I'm guessing you haven't heard the Gary speed rumour?

Are YOU not perpetuating "the Gary Speed rumour" by mentioning it in this context? He is not around, and cannot dismiss or respond in any way and people like you want to mutter and ooh and ahh about him in some rumour-milling gossip calypso??

Why not just leave his name, or anyone else's name out of it?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Are YOU not perpetuating "the Gary Speed rumour" by mentioning it in this context? He is not around, and cannot dismiss or respond in any way and people like you want to mutter and ooh and ahh about him in some rumour-milling gossip calypso??

Why not just leave his name, or anyone else's name out of it?

:facepalm:

I am pointing out exactly what is wrong with that... whether it is true or not is irrelevent, the fact that it even existed shows that there is still inherent homophobia within the sport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here