Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

joey barton - gay footballers

Albion should take the lead in my opinion by encouraging one of their squad to "Come out". But which one?

Seriously the home of homosexual tolerance should not be afraid to take the lead into this field.
Agreed. But it's not that long ago that an Albion manager pronounced: "I'll have nae poofters in my team".

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
What about if the individuals in question felt that their sexuality was no-one else's business; and they wanted to focus on their career rather than becoming a poster boy for those smug, self serving hypocrytical twats who seek out prejudice wherever they can find it.

It was well known in Wales that Gareth Thomas was homosexual when he was playing, as it is in Ireland that a very well known current Irish national rugby player is also gay.

Thankfully some people are more mature about it............its not everyone's business yet.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
What about if the individuals in question felt that their sexuality was no-one else's business; and they wanted to focus on their career rather than becoming a poster boy for those smug, self serving hypocrytical twats who seek out prejudice wherever they can find it.

It was well known in Wales that Gareth Thomas was homosexual when he was playing, as it is in Ireland that a very well known current Irish national rugby player is also gay.

Thankfully some people are more mature about it............its not everyone's business yet.

indeed , homophobia and racism have a lot to do with maturity and basic twenty first century intelligence ,in my limited experience of course.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There are obviously some gay players at some clubs the law of averages would dictate that.

its doesnt dictate anything of the sort. stats from one grouping do not translate to another grouping. if you were to apply nationwide general population stats to football, you should have one black and one asian player given a squad of 30 - clearly this isnt the case. (3%, 4% of population respectivly, as of 2001).

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Agreed. But it's not that long ago that an Albion manager pronounced: "I'll have nae poofters in my team".

Indeed, although it does beg the question as to why he's continued to live here since his sacking (although he's now presumably getting his fill of real men & women in rufty-tufty Brizzle). :lolol:

ps Good work by Amal Fashanu there. Interesting stuff - & fair play to Mr Barton for his contribution. :clap2:

D

Deleted member 18477

Albion should take the lead in my opinion by encouraging one of their squad to "Come out". But which one?

Seriously the home of homosexual tolerance should not be afraid to take the lead into this field.

harley as he has lots of free time for the media. well hes not interested in playing is he. the lazy...

Oct 25, 2003
its doesnt dictate anything of the sort. stats from one grouping do not translate to another grouping. if you were to apply nationwide general population stats to football, you should have one black and one asian player given a squad of 30 - clearly this isnt the case. (3%, 4% of population respectivly, as of 2001).

it doesn't necessarily mean that EVERY team will have a gay player.......but surely it would suggest that there are SOME gay footballers

in fact, hasn't max clifford said many times that he is 'covering up' the sexuality of more than one high profile player?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Er, who CARES who and what the players like shagging!?
I really don't see the need to know.

Are they good at football, that is all I care about.

Sadly there are many who don't see it like that. Hell we still see issues based on the colour of a player's skin crop up.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
After a few ales our Joey would be punching gays just like he does ordinary punters.

So, he stop googling for esoteric philosophical quotes, pretending to like The Smiths, get his hair cut and concentrate on doing his job - kicking the leather around the grass

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I do not really 'get' the relevance of someone's sexuality especially in football.

My god you could not get a more self centred profession where you are forgiven for almost anything as long as you might make an improvement to the team and help the manager keep his job.

I cannot think of anyone caring one jot about another players sexual preference, football for sure would have some homosexuals, so friggin what !!

I did watch a documentary on Justin Fashanu's demise, it included some allegation of sexual assault against a boy, so unless this has been disproved I am not sure if he is necessarily the right catalyst for this unnecessary drive to 'out' homosexuals within the game.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I did watch a documentary on Justin Fashanu's demise, it included some allegation of sexual assault against a boy, so unless this has been disproved I am not sure if he is necessarily the right catalyst for this unnecessary drive to 'out' homosexuals within the game.

Are you for real?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How can we expect our players to come out, when the fans haven't all come out. We should be taking the lead here on NSC. At least half of the registered users should come out as gay with an admission in their signature.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So, he doesn't have to be convicted to be guilty? An allegation is all that's needed?

Ok

No not an allegation, he was charged.

That for me invalidates his role as some sort of beacon for homosexuality within our game, although I have no idea why one needs this anyway.

It seems Fashanu killed himself because of this charge, not because of his treatment as a homosexuality within professional sport even in those less than enlightened days.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
f*** me, are you intentionally being obtuse, or are you mental?

Well I am real and a little bit mental, but your losing this one mate.

An allegation is "I think you did it". A charge is "I think you did it, and I think I can prove to a court that you did."

If your view is to hold up some gay footballer as a beacon to more tolerance and understanding, it would be reasonable to find a better character than him.

Personally I think it is all unnecessary bullshit .....

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No not an allegation, he was charged.

That for me invalidates his role as some sort of beacon for homosexuality within our game, although I have no idea why one needs this anyway.

It seems Fashanu killed himself because of this charge, not because of his treatment as a homosexuality within professional sport even in those less than enlightened days.

No, he wasn't charged, he wasn't even detained for questioning.

But one of the reasons he did kill himself was people had presumed his guilt - basically like you're doing now.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My views on this are that:

a. John Fashanu let his brother down very badly.

b. His daughter is quite fit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here