Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

joey barton - gay footballers

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
If your view is to hold up some gay footballer as a beacon to more tolerance and understanding, it would be reasonable to find a better character than him.

My view on the Justin campaign or whatever is irrelevant, I never posited an opinion on that, it's your views on the justice system that are amusing me

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No, he wasn't charged, he wasn't even detained for questioning.

But one of the reasons he did kill himself was people had presumed his guilt - basically like you're doing now.

You seem to have a great inside track to his mental health and sexual actions, he might of hanged himself because of his presumed guilt whilst innocence, but it falls the other way maybe his was guilty, you do not know and nor do I and I never stated I did.

But it remains a shadow and doesn't fulfil the original premise that he should be some sort of catalyst for some homosexual crusade to 'out' professional footballers.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My view on the Justin campaign or whatever is irrelevant, I never posited an opinion on that, it's your views on the justice system that are amusing me

Your view on the Justin campaign has only become irrelevant because you had absolutely no idea of how he came to hang himself, you just kinda joined in.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You seem to have a great inside track to his mental health and sexual actions, he might of hanged himself because of his presumed guilt whilst innocence, but it falls the other way maybe his was guilty, you do not know and nor do I and I never stated I did.

But it remains a shadow and doesn't fulfil the original premise that he should be some sort of catalyst for some homosexual crusade to 'out' professional footballers.

Which crusade is this? I don't think you've quite got the hang of what this is all about.

Just because, in your mind, there may or may not be a shadow over his last days, your default stance is one of presuming his guilt. If you weren't, your comments about him not being a shining beacon make little sense.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Which crusade is this? I don't think you've quite got the hang of what this is all about.

Just because, in your mind, there may or may not be a shadow over his last days, your default stance is one of presuming his guilt. If you weren't, your comments about him not being a shining beacon make little sense.

Dont be daft ....

The original post seems to predominately base this cause of homophobia within football around the death of Justin Fashanu.

Fashanu's death was prompted by allegations/charges of sexual assault against a 17 year old boy, guilty or otherwise.

Not due to intolerance within professional football.

His death, although tragic, for me adds no weight to the argument that any players sexuality should be investigated and made public or might improve any perceived homophobia within the game.

I'm not sure the necessarily encouraging an individual to come out is the best way, but more just Gus and Tony sitting down with the players and saying something like "Look if any of you wished to come out the club would stand completely behind you and give you our full support." I think giving the support is essential, but it's a personal decision for anyone football player or not.

Why should anyone give a monkeys and since when is it even anyone's business?

"Look if any of you wish to say you like women, and maybe throw in what type, the club will stand completely by your choice"
FFS!

Are gays so f***ing *precious* that they need to be known, stood by or looked after by anyone?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Fashanu's death was prompted by allegations/charges of sexual assault against a 17 year old boy, guilty or otherwise.

Allegations. Not charges.

His death, although tragic, for me adds no weight to the argument that any players sexuality should be investigated and made public or might improve any perceived homophobia within the game.

No-one is talking about on any 'investigation' of any player's sexuality, nor of outing anyone.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Why should anyone give a monkeys and since when is it even anyone's business?

"Look if any of you wish to say you like women, and maybe throw in what type, the club will stand completely by your choice"
FFS!

Are gays so f***ing *precious* that they need to be known, stood by or looked after by anyone?

Certainly not, I'm not implying that at all. And whether or not they choose to come out and let it be known that they are gay is up to them. However, given the amount the love life of footballers is splashed across the red tops, it does seem strange that we don't see anything about gay footballers does it not? Surely there's a reason we're not seeing that and, as Joey Barton says, it may well be the attitude of managers (as well as some fans) that is forcing gay footballers to hide.

Of course, maybe they're not and are simply better at keeping their private lives private than their heterosexual team mates.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Your kiddin' me, there are plenty of posts about 'outing' try reading some posts.

Then why not try and offer your opinion on homophobia within the game, that might be helpful.

That newspaper report isn't right. He wasn't charged. You can keep going back to that as often as you like - he wasn't charged.

I know there are posts about 'outing'. The individuals in question would - it has been discussed - 'out' themselves, not have someone else do it for them on the back of an investigation.

My opinion is that homophobia has no place in football. Or in society generally.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
harley as he has lots of free time for the media. well hes not interested in playing is he. the lazy...

And he farts a lot apparently. Oh no that's Nooney...

Seriously again, the reason why so many footballers playing in the Premiership would be scared to "come out" is that so many of the current squads now come from countries where homosexuality is still actually a criminal offence.

Most African countries, for instance, and I would be surprsed if there's much more tolerance in Latin and South America, considering that area's Catholic inheritance.

Similarly Eastern Europe is not exactly renowned for encouraging open homosexuality (amongst men, that is). What the babuschkas get up to on cold winter nights might be another matter...

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
My views on this are that:

a. John Fashanu let his brother down very badly.

b. His daughter is quite fit.

I have to say John F got a raw deal.I was at a match around 1990 at Plough Lane, Wimbledon v Palace, and the allegations of Justin's homosexuality had just been published in "The Sun".

John had to spend the whole match being serenaded by the Palace supporters' chants of:

"He's queer, he's bent, his arsehole's up for rent , FASH-A-NU, FASH-A-NU.."

Result, he was totally subdued and Wrighty scored a hat-trick. Whilst I was pleased with the result the jeers did make me feel uncomfortable, knowing it was Justin they wwere referring to.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And he farts a lot apparently. Oh no that's Nooney...

Seriously again, the reason why so many footballers playing in the Premiership would be scared to "come out" is that so many of the current squads now come from countries where homosexuality is still actually a criminal offence.

Most African countries, for instance, and I would be surprsed if there's much more tolerance in Latin and South America, considering that area's Catholic inheritance.

Similarly Eastern Europe is not exactly renowned for encouraging open homosexuality (amongst men, that is). What the babuschkas get up to on cold winter nights might be another matter...

Now there's the funny thing about some of these places isn't it? I used to know someone who worked in military intelligence- he was deployed on several occasions to Afghanistan. The Taliban were still in control of much of the country at the time, and imposing Sharia law, or at least very strict Islamic guidelines I guess. To your average Islamic fundamentalist (and maybe moderate, I'm not exactly an expert??) homosexuality is illegal and morally wrong.

However...what the military guys were also told as part of their briefings is that it was quite commonplace for the Taliban leaders, and presumably other men in the villages, to keep "house boys", that is to say young kids of around ten years of age or whatever, to service their personal needs. He suggested that it was, if you like, an open secret, in that everyone knew it went on but that it was simply viewed as something of a local custom, and that the troops shouldn't be surprised when they went into houses and found these kids kept in there.

So perhaps it's a case of "do as I say, not as I do" in some places?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Now there's the funny thing about some of these places isn't it? I used to know someone who worked in military intelligence- he was deployed on several occasions to Afghanistan. The Taliban were still in control of much of the country at the time, and imposing Sharia law, or at least very strict Islamic guidelines I guess. To your average Islamic fundamentalist (and maybe moderate, I'm not exactly an expert??) homosexuality is illegal and morally wrong.

However...what the military guys were also told as part of their briefings is that it was quite commonplace for the Taliban leaders, and presumably other men in the villages, to keep "house boys", that is to say young kids of around ten years of age or whatever, to service their personal needs. He suggested that it was, if you like, an open secret, in that everyone knew it went on but that it was simply viewed as something of a local custom, and that the troops shouldn't be surprised when they went into houses and found these kids kept in there.

So perhaps it's a case of "do as I say, not as I do" in some places?

Going back to "Lawrence of Arabia" and even further, there have long been ideas about Moslem behaviour. It didn't help my views when on a coach from Izmir to armaris in Turkey about 30 years ago, a Turkish bloke offered to leave his wife if he could sleep with me. It was not a suitable location to forcefully discourage him.

Luckily a Turkish women befriended me on hearing this, we kept in contact by letter for a while afterwards. But I never went back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One of the England squad in Italia '90, is gay.
Gazza told Danny Baker, whom I heard mention it, quite matter of fact.

The question is who?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That newspaper report isn't right. He wasn't charged. You can keep going back to that as often as you like - he wasn't charged.

I know there are posts about 'outing'. The individuals in question would - it has been discussed - 'out' themselves, not have someone else do it for them on the back of an investigation.

My opinion is that homophobia has no place in football. Or in society generally.

Fine give me the link to your 'accurate; report and I will decide whether you might be right....there still remains an allegation that couldn't go further due to his suicide.

So yes, you accept posters have expected 'outings' of players sexuality.

Difficult to comment on your last line, just a vague offer that says nothing of your real view.

But hey ho .......

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Albion should take the lead in my opinion by encouraging one of their squad to "Come out". But which one?

Seriously the home of homosexual tolerance should not be afraid to take the lead into this field.

Smudger should probably come out 1st

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Dont be daft ....

The original post seems to predominately base this cause of homophobia within football around the death of Justin Fashanu.

Not due to intolerance within professional football.

bollocks

the article, and the post, is about how nothing has changed since the first professional footballer came out over 20 years ago!

The article isnt even really about him, its about homophobia in football, which is the discussion i inteded to provoke, not whether or not Justin Fashanu was a 'role model'.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
bollocks

the article, and the post, is about how nothing has changed since the first professional footballer came out over 20 years ago!

The article isnt even really about him, its about homophobia in football, which is the discussion i inteded to provoke, not whether or not Justin Fashanu was a 'role model'.

In what sense has things not changed ....... we didn't know then and we dont know now which players might be gay and no one gives a shit ..

Your discussion and your link showed predominately Justin Fashanu as the main victim of some perceived homophobic intolerance, but if you cared to look deeper there is no evidence that any of your drivel actually took place.

You may have now learnt that there was no particular footballing homophobia issues with him.

There was a non football serious sexual assault allegation against him that seems to have prompted his suicide and yes he was gay and happened to be black.

Your not provoking anything valid, its a silly comment based on some boorish supporters singing 'does your boyfriend know your here'.

I am bored of you faux offended people, helping me get through the day without pointing out the injustices of the world ... Just shut up !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here