Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joel Lynch

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
But you not being privy to all that went on between Butters and Lynch you are making judgements with only a very small fraction of all the facts. Also, you did then proceed to smear Tank (well damning with feint praise).

No agenda? Hmm.. I think you have but let's agree to disagree. What about the first post I made in this thread? Do you acknowledge that you were trying to compare this season with last. Something that you said was eccentric?

I think you havent read my original posts.

Firstly a view on why I think that it is reasonable for Lynch to consider a move to Forest, that was on the back of quite a swaything personal attack from 'Easy 10'.

Then in response to Conboys calculations saying that if we added up the points different from us and Southend and then subtracted that amount from ur final points tally that we would of been mid table.

There must be 1000 permitation to that kind of mentality.

I then said we should maybe just take the place where we finished and accept that as our position !!

EfE then said that because we were mid table for most of the season last year, it somehow follows that we are a mid table team, irrespective of us gaining the points needed to end up 7th !!

She then concluded that if we are mid table now, then with so few games played we are likely to end up higher than last year !!

You keeping up ?

I commented if you accept that previous performance are likely to determine future results there is nothing to suggest that that will happen.

MA must also agree because he has got more players in.

Now thats the jist and I continue to say that their logic was bizaare.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
You just carry on completely re-writing what I've posted, Big Gully.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
You Just Ignore The Cliques And Bullies BigGully. Its Typical Of This Place That Every Time Somebody Articulate With The Insight Of You Or Garth, Try To Explain Things In A Concise Manner, These Idiots All Jump On You.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
You Just Ignore The Cliques And Bullies BigGully. Its Typical Of This Place That Every Time Somebody Articulate With The Insight Of You Or Garth, Try To Explain Things In A Concise Manner, These Idiots All Jump On You.

You're joking?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
OK then re-write your calculation for us all and we will see if I misunderstood it !!

:thud:

Calculation, what calculation? I said, our quality was closer to mid-table than play-off, that's an opinion, partially backed-up by the fact our points tally was closer to a mid-table finish.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
You Can Cut It Staright Out Too. Women Can Be Bullies Too You Know.

At Least You Share My Opinion Of Nathan Elder.

Nobody's 'bullying' we're stating an opinion that he doesn't seem to understand.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
<snipped for brevity>

Now thats the jist and I continue to say that their logic was bizaare.

Easy 10's posts to you have no bearing whatsoever with my post and there really is no need for you to be so rude or patronising to me. Whether I agree or not with Conboy or EfE is also irrelevant. I do think however that you have misconstrued what EfE was saying, but again, let's put that to one side.

You did not as far as I can see comment that previous performance dictates future results and if you understood logic at all you would know that more often than not past performance does not extrapolate to future results. In fact you have highlighted it yourself by pointing out that we were mid-table for most of last year. Why then did we finish 7th if previous performance is likely to determine future results?

Football is littered with inconsistent results. Teams lose heavily one week and win the next. If you beat team A who then beat team B then by your logic you will also beat team B. Doesn't often work out like that though. I say your logic is bizarre. Not only with what I've just pointed out but also you have compared a whole season last year with 7 games this year. Far, far too early. Especially with a new manager.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
What doesn't sit well with me is that we've NEVER had problems with Joels attitude before, and yet 3 games into this season, 3 games into Adams handling of the squad we suddenly have this guy supposedly throwing toys out of the pram.

Something aint right there.

that's not true. after 1 season of playing in the 1st team he was quoted in the press as saying that he was hoping to move on to bigger & better things than brighton.

fair enough he has ambition but to say that after playing 1 full season for the club who's trained you up isn't exactly respectful to the club or the fans. micky adams is just the 1st one to stand up to him.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Easy 10's posts to you have no bearing whatsoever with my post and there really is no need for you to be so rude or patronising to me. Whether I agree or not with Conboy or EfE is also irrelevant. I do think however that you have misconstrued what EfE was saying, but again, let's put that to one side.

You did not as far as I can see comment that previous performance dictates future results and if you understood logic at all you would know that more often than not past performance does not extrapolate to future results. In fact you have highlighted it yourself by pointing out that we were mid-table for most of last year. Why then did we finish 7th if previous performance is likely to determine future results?

Football is littered with inconsistent results. Teams lose heavily one week and win the next. If you beat team A who then beat team B then by your logic you will also beat team B. Doesn't often work out like that though. I say your logic is bizarre. Not only with what I've just pointed out but also you have compared a whole season last year with 7 games this year. Far, far too early. Especially with a new manager.

Form can change, I agree.

But MA obviously concluded that without change then the likelyhood of progress was unlikely.

That assumption was made on previous games and those performances.

Of course teams beat teams irrespective of their previous performances, but that is why they are called upsets.

How can any manager determine success current or future without acknowledgeing that.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Form can change, I agree.

But MA obviously concluded that without change then the likelyhood of progress was unlikely.

That assumption was made on previous games and those performances.

Of course teams beat teams irrespective of their previous performances, but that is why they are called upsets.

How can any manager determine success current or future without acknowledgeing that.

Quite the consummate politician aren't you. You're wasted in local politics. You still won't acknowledge the gaping holes in your logic even when I point out that you contradict yourself both with the past performance = future success but also with eccentric calculations about comparing this year's seven games with the whole of last season.

If you are so sure that past performance is likely to lead to future results then perhaps you'd like to put £100 on an accumulator for the League one results on Saturday? And let's strip this argument of hyperbole. I'd reserve words like "upset" with Brighton v Man City or Hull v Arsenal where the gulf between resources and players is obvious. Brighton v most Lge 1 sides are fairly evenly matched.

I really can't think of any way explaining it any simpler than how I've already done and I don't know whether you're deliberately being obtuse or not. Either way, I'm tired of this and you.

Mar 4, 2008
Burgess Hill!
Unused sub for Forest today but given their defensive performance I would imagine he will start next week. Wes Morgan is possibly the worst professional centre back I have EVER seen!

Article in the programme:

"If I was offered a permanent move to Forest I would obviously accept it but I know it's not going to be handed to me on a plate. It's up to me to get my head down and work really hard and show Colin Calderwood that I'm a decent player and deserve to be with the club for longer than a month"

"I haven't been playing for Brighton and for the manager at Forest to give me a chance is amazing - now it's up to me to prove I deserve a contract"

"It hasn't been the easiest of seasons for me down at Brighton and it's good to get away and get a new perspective on things. I'm training with better players and I'm spending time at a big club with a great history which can only benefit me in the future. I just want to enjoy the whole experience"

"It has been frustrating not to figure at brighton this season, especially considering how hard I thought I worked in pre-season and how much effort I have put in over the past six weeks or so despite hardly figuring. Playing regularly one season and then being out of favour hasn't really done much for my confidence but that makes me so much more grateful for the chance Forest have given me"

Don't think we will be seeing him back to be honest, lets hope we get a decent fee!

Shouldnt you be studying? ???

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
that's not true. after 1 season of playing in the 1st team he was quoted in the press as saying that he was hoping to move on to bigger & better things than brighton.

fair enough he has ambition but to say that after playing 1 full season for the club who's trained you up isn't exactly respectful to the club or the fans. micky adams is just the 1st one to stand up to him.

I don't think anyone would consider a comment like that is anything other than understandable. If a player didn't want to better himself then I'd question his ambition.

If you believe that indicates a pattern of behaviour that has inevitably led us to this, then that's a pretty weak case for the prosecution m'lord.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
I don't think anyone would consider a comment like that is anything other than understandable. If a player didn't want to better himself then I'd question his ambition.

If you believe that indicates a pattern of behaviour that has inevitably led us to this, then that's a pretty weak case for the prosecution m'lord.

i am not questioning or criticising his ambition - it's a healthy thing to have in a young player.

what i am saying is that to air that ambition in public, so soon after being given a chance by us, indicates a lack of respect for the club, the fans & his team mates. i'm sure tommy elphick dreams of a move to a big club but u dont see him bragging about his ability in the press.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Quite the consummate politician aren't you. You're wasted in local politics. You still won't acknowledge the gaping holes in your logic even when I point out that you contradict yourself both with the past performance = future success but also with eccentric calculations about comparing this year's seven games with the whole of last season.

If you are so sure that past performance is likely to lead to future results then perhaps you'd like to put £100 on an accumulator for the League one results on Saturday? And let's strip this argument of hyperbole. I'd reserve words like "upset" with Brighton v Man City or Hull v Arsenal where the gulf between resources and players is obvious. Brighton v most Lge 1 sides are fairly evenly matched.

I really can't think of any way explaining it any simpler than how I've already done and I don't know whether you're deliberately being obtuse or not. Either way, I'm tired of this and you.

Maybe you would like to enlighten us to when and how a manager might make a decision on whether he needs to change things.

The only factor he has at his disposal must be past and current performance, both in games and training.

Many managers will have different thresholds of both of these, but you are saying that these bear no relevence to football, its crazy.

As for your accumulator the bet is directly effected by those teams past performance, in the form of odds.

You may be tired of me, do you honestly think I am enamoured with your illogic world ??

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
i am not questioning or criticising his ambition - it's a healthy thing to have in a young player.

what i am saying is that to air that ambition in public, so soon after being given a chance by us, indicates a lack of respect for the club, the fans & his team mates. i'm sure tommy elphick dreams of a move to a big club but u dont see him bragging about his ability in the press.

I just never took those comments that way, in fact I don't ever remember them, that's how insignificant it was at the time. I don't remember a fuss on here about it, or indeed that being the general perception of him since those comments. So, I think you're making a lot of it IMHO.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Maybe you would like to enlighten us to when and how a manager might make a decision on whether he needs to change things.

The only factor he has at his disposal must be past and current performance, both in games and training.

Many managers will have different thresholds of both of these, but you are saying that these bear no relevence to football, its crazy.

As for your accumulator the bet is directly effected by those teams past performance, in the form of odds.

You may be tired of me, do you honestly think I am enamoured with your illogic world ??

Plese don't misquote me. I never said that past performance bears NO relevance to future performances. Of course they do but you said and I quote "past performance is LIKELY to predict future results."

It's the word likely I have trouble with. The bet is NOT directly affected by past performance. If so then the league would be incredibly predictable and we'd all win accumulators. As I alluded to, it's only when resources are so unevenly matched that you can confidently predict scores.

Also, you are quite wrong when you say it's performances are all that managers have to rely on. They also get reports on player weaknesses, manager's preferred ways of playing, size of the pitch, weather, all sorts of things. They may also try new ways of playing, moving players into different positions. All sorts. These are all to do with tactics and not necessarily linked to the actual past performance of the team. There are far too many other variables.

Let me give you an example. Say Aston Villa play Wolves. If all you've got is past performances then they would be fairly evenly matched because they both have similar records but in different leagues. After all, according to you that's all they have at their disposal. I'm not dismissing the importance of past performance but you place far far too much reliance on them.

You still haven't responded to my comments about your illogicality regarding the way you seem able to take 7 games this season and compare it to the whole of last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here