Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Gatting

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Les Biehn said:
God you're a f***ing irritating twat. I'm sorry, generally I like to humour you to a certain extent and you don't bother me, but this time your just being an arsehole.

You almost seem to relish slagging him off and being negative in general. If someone asked me to play for the albion I would but I would be gash. The problem is with the manager who picks me, booing me is not going to help. Your attitude is shocking.

Fcuk off....any excuse to have a go at me...!

No I dont relish it..but the facts dont lie...he is really really poor every game....why is that so hard to accept?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
byf said:
I know I wasnt the one that did...!

Gatting will defo go the same way as mcphee...as soon as we get a decent striker in..you wont see gatting for dust a very ordinary/poor youngster!

Mate. You know it. I know it. Some other people know it. Some still other people, in a creditable attempt at fairness towards a young lad, will repeat parrot-fashion 'give him more time' and know it in eighteen months time.

Truth is, Slow Joe is always going to be Slow Joe.

Seriously, if Joe Gatting IS a talented cricketer, to county level, he should make the jump sooner rather than later to prolong his sporting career. And I say that without a hint of malice or any other negativity. He will NOT hack it with the Albion. Fact.

Any more than Doug Loft will :wave:

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Tom Hark said:
Mate. You know it. I know it. Some other people know it. Some still other people, in a creditable attempt at fairness towards a young lad, will repeat parrot-fashion 'give him more time' and know it in eighteen months time.

Seriously, if Joe Gatting IS a talented cricketer, to county level, he should make the jump sooner rather than later to prolong his sporting career. And I say that without a hint of malice or any other negativity. He will NOT hack it with the Albion. Fact.

Now I open myself like a target because of the way I post I know that...But you my boy have nailed it on the head and posted exactky how I feel!

:clap:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
byf said:
Fcuk off....any excuse to have a go at me...!

No I dont relish it..but the facts dont lie...he is really really poor every game....why is that so hard to accept?

Your such a victim aren't you:nono: You say something decent or I agree with and I will praise you for it.

You talk constant ill thought out shit. Expect to get caned for it.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Tom Hark said:

Shutup you miserable Scotsman

BTW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scotland 17 - 37 Italy
Tries:
Dewey, Paterson Tries:
Bergamasco, Scanavacca, Robertson, Troncon
Pens:
Paterson Pens:
Scanavacca 3

Cons:
Paterson 2 Cons:
Scanavacca 4

ITALIA ITALIA ITALIA

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Les Biehn said:
Your such a victim aren't you:nono: You say something decent or I agree with and I will praise you for it.

You talk constant ill thought out shit. Expect to get caned for it.

Everything I say is decent...you just disagree with it..thats all!

your abuse and boring rants at me are tiresome...Agree with me or not...gatting will never be a decent striker....that will never change!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dave the Gaffer said:
Shutup you miserable Scotsman

BTW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scotland 17 - 37 Italy
Tries:
Dewey, Paterson Tries:
Bergamasco, Scanavacca, Robertson, Troncon
Pens:
Paterson Pens:
Scanavacca 3

Cons:
Paterson 2 Cons:
Scanavacca 4

ITALIA ITALIA ITALIA

Good point, needlessly made :down:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Tom Hark said:
And I say that without a hint of malice or any other negativity. He will NOT hack it with the Albion. Fact.
So there is nothing negative about your post or this thread!

I reckon this is the most negative thread since some buffoons predicted that Revell would be useless and announced that the Ryman Premier was little better than pub football. This before actually seeing him play.

Steve Gatting had little pace but he was a quality player in a far better Brighton team in the 1980s.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
byf said:
Everything I say is decent...you just disagree with it..thats all!

your abuse and boring rants at me are tiresome...Agree with me or not...gatting will never be a decent striker....that will never change!

Not as tiresome as the negative, sanctimonious, reactionary crap you come out with.

It's not what you say, if you said it in a constructive way we could debate it, its the stupid, ignorant way in which you say it.

I am actually usure about Gatting. I think he has some decent qualities that will tell over time such as his link up play, heading, strength and movement. But I do think the problem with his pace, finishing and confidence will hold him back.

However I will reserve judgement until he has had more time. I will not be booing him and slagging him off on here. His attitude is first class and thats what he should be judged on. Wilkins should be judged on his appearance in the side despite his performances.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
mona said:
So there is nothing negative about your post or this thread!

:shrug:

Some people are able to interpret what's in front of their face. WHEN it's in front of their face.

Some other people need eighteen months and the consensus of a thousand other people before they're brave enough to jump on the bandwagon.

Nobody writes off a player, ahem, earlydoors, for the sake of it, but somebody's got to be the first to break ranks and stop giving them the benefit of the doubt.

If in doubt, just look back through the Trolley threads. Or the Doug Loft threads.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Tom Hark said:
:shrug:

Some people are able to interpret what's in front of their face. WHEN it's in front of their face.

Some other people need eighteen months and the consensus of a thousand other people before they're brave enough to jump on the bandwagon.

Nobody writes off a player, ahem, earlydoors, for the sake of it, but somebody's got to be the first to break ranks and stop giving them the benefit of the doubt.

If in doubt, just look back through the Trolley threads. Or the Doug Loft threads.

Wise words...

People always jump onto critisise the one that does notice that a player is not up to scratch first!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
byf said:
Wise words...

People always jump onto critisise the one that does notice that a player is not up to scratch first!

Yeah right, quite the free thinking radical aren't we. People with your foresight and intelligence are usually persecuted. So are morons who talk shit.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Has none of these perpetual doom-mongerers ever heard of the concept of coaching? That young people are still learning?

Because if you'd compared anyone's ability to do any task when they're aged 18 to their ability to do the same thing 5-10 years later, I'd be amazed if there'd been no progress shown in the interim.

It's true that he might not make the grade but none of us know yet. But I, for one, have a great deal of faith in Wilkins as a coach of young players - if Gatting doesn't make it, I doubt it will have been for lack of trying by the club. But meanwhile it's truly cretinous and counterproductive just to write him off already.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I must admit that this is an issue that perplexes me.

I've only seen the lad play twice and both times he scored, which may be colouring my opinion but it sems to me that he's a usefull enough player.

He's got five goals so far this season in about 15-18 starts? That's not a bad return for a young striker in his first full season in senior football, playing in a mid table league one team. He has a very good record in youth and reserve football so is well worth giving the benefit of the doubt, I think. If in 18months there's been no discernable improvement in his game then we can all probably agree that he's not cut out for this level.

Some people seem to think that every young player jumps out of the youth team a fully fledged performer. They also seem to think that every youth product should be a 'star' player. Football's a squad game now and if our youth team is able to provide a mix of first team regulars and squad players, then I'll be happy. Gatting seems to me to be a decent enough option as a squad striker at the moment, with the potential to get better. If he doesn't and we do, then we can start moaning about how he's dead wood and not good enough.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
Has none of these perpetual doom-mongerers ever heard of the concept of coaching? That young people are still learning?

Because if you'd compared anyone's ability to do any task when they're aged 18 to their ability to do the same thing 5-10 years later, I'd be amazed if there'd been no progress shown in the interim.

It's true that he might not make the grade but none of us know yet. But I, for one, have a great deal of faith in Wilkins as a coach of young players - if Gatting doesn't make it, I doubt it will have been for lack of trying by the club. But meanwhile it's truly cretinous and counterproductive just to write him off already.

How's anybody going to coach Joe Gatting to be non-slow? It would be as useless as trying to coach, say, Leon Knight to be a midfielder or a winger. In fact it would be the mark of a bad coach to even try.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Tom Hark said:
How's anybody going to coach Joe Gatting to be non-slow? It would be as useless as trying to coach, say, Leon Knight to be a midfielder or a winger. In fact it would be the mark of a bad coach to even try.
Pace isn't everything. Molango had pace.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Silent Bob said:
Pace isn't everything. Molango had pace.

And speaking of bad coaches:

'Molango signed a 3 year contract with the Albion after impressing then manager Mark McGhee during a 2 week trial for the club in the summer of 2004 after being released by Wacker Burghausen in Germany.'

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Tom Hark said:
How's anybody going to coach Joe Gatting to be non-slow?

You may be unaware but it's possible to coach some extra pace into a player, however pace isn't everything. How fast do you have to be to get on the end of a corner or free kick? if the delivery's right you barely need to move. With a player like Gatting who will allways look ponderous its all about feeding him the right ball, give him the opportunity and the ball will normaly hit the back of the net. The problem is we keep hitting the ball to him with his back to goal & expect him to hold it up & bring others into play, the trouble is it takes time to learn how to hold off an experienced defender who will use every trick in the book to win the ball legally or not.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
the wanderbus said:
You may be unaware but it's possible to coach some extra pace into a player, however pace isn't everything. How fast do you have to be to get on the end of a corner or free kick? if the delivery's right you barely need to move. With a player like Gatting who will allways look ponderous its all about feeding him the right ball, give him the opportunity and the ball will normaly hit the back of the net. The problem is we keep hitting the ball to him with his back to goal & expect him to hold it up & bring others into play, the trouble is it takes time to learn how to hold off an experienced defender who will use every trick in the book to win the ball legally or not.

Blimey! 'Pace Isnt Everything' is fast becoming this years 'Holds The Ball Up Well'.

Truth is, Slow Joe will always end up further down the batting order than the likes of Bas Savage or Alex Revell who may not be the most skilful players in the world, but they run around like LOONS out there. Which will always make them fans favourites over and above anybody who doesnt run around. 'Holding the ball up' is not a valid skill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here