Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Gatting

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Problem is he cant head a ball very well...he looks weak at times and cant really get involved in a game at all.

Good luck coaches of brighton...youve got some work to do!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Les Biehn said:
Yeah right, quite the free thinking radical aren't we. People with your foresight and intelligence are usually persecuted. So are morons who talk shit.

Les, how do you expect him to progress do becoming a decent poster when you criticise him all the time?
You're doing his confidence no good!

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
keaton said:
Les, how do you expect him to progress do becoming a decent poster when you criticise him all the time?

:clap:

All I need is a little support...I mean I cant spell or type in any way shape or form..my grammer is poor and apparently my threads are tripe...But im only young and 4 good threads in 20 days isnt bad for a youngster..get behind my threads and support me instead of shouting me down....the moderators have faith in me and i trust their opinion over lesbions!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
keaton said:

:lol:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Tom Hark said:
Blimey! 'Pace Isnt Everything' is fast becoming this years 'Holds The Ball Up Well'.

Truth is, Slow Joe will always end up further down the batting order than the likes of Bas Savage or Alex Revell who may not be the most skilful players in the world, but they run around like LOONS out there. Which will always make them fans favourites over and above anybody who doesnt run around. 'Holding the ball up' is not a valid skill.

So there it is, Joe Gatting doesnt exite you enough!

Do you remember what Cantona said about water carriers? Every side needs them & like it or not at the moment Gatting is one of ours. Play to him the right way( off of Savage or Revell imho) & he will more than likely get his share of goals.
90% of this season is about the youngsters learning & adapting to the 1st team, some will doubtless bed in quicker than others but they will all adapt at different speeds, some maybe not at all, Remember when knocking players like Gatting he's one of our own & deserves our support.

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If Joe Gatting is so shit why is he being picked??

He seems to have a knack of being in the right place at the right time to put the ball in the back of the net, quite a good skill Lineker made a career out of it (and no i'm not comparing the two)

Granted he is not the best striker in the world but if he was he wouldn't be here would he, he scored goals for fun at youth and ressie level and Dean Wilkins must believe that he will do the same at this level and so far he has got a few.

Show him a bit of support it really won't kill ya and you never know it might lead to a few good things

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
byf said:
:clap:

All I need is a little support...I mean I cant spell or type in any way shape or form..my grammer is poor and apparently my threads are tripe...But im only young and 4 good threads in 20 days isnt bad for a youngster..get behind my threads and support me instead of shouting me down....the moderators have faith in me and i trust their opinion over lesbions!

Right firstly, my name is Leslie Biehn. Leslie is a man's name and Biehn is French, I am not a Lesbian you doink.

Keaton is taking the piss out of you. Why am I going to get behind you when you post such shit? You post opinionated, obnoxious rubbish, get used to taking flack for it and stop complaining when you do. It's ok to boo a 19 year old with all your mates in the stand but for some reason when someone has a pop at you you act like I just shat in your handbag.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Tom Hark said:
Blimey! 'Pace Isnt Everything' is fast becoming this years 'Holds The Ball Up Well'.

Truth is, Slow Joe will always end up further down the batting order than the likes of Bas Savage or Alex Revell who may not be the most skilful players in the world, but they run around like LOONS out there. Which will always make them fans favourites over and above anybody who doesnt run around. 'Holding the ball up' is not a valid skill.
Pace isn't everything though. :)
And your second point doesn't hold much water either, you vehemently defend Leon Knight but he could hardly be said to run around like a LOON (or be a fans favourite).

Gatting isn't the tallest or most physically imposing, and as you so regularly inform us, he isn't quick. But he is an excellent finisher, if he is to make the grade he needs to get into positions more (it would help if we could create chances). But that comes with experience.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
the wanderbus said:
So there it is, Joe Gatting doesnt exite you enough!

Lively players that run at players will cause problems for the opposition. Which means Savage and Revell. And to a lesser extent at the moment Jakey and Elder. Joe Gatting can stand there holding the ball up with his back to goal to his hearts content and defenders will be quite happy to let him.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Silent Bob said:

Gatting isn't the tallest or most physically imposing, and as you so regularly inform us, he isn't quick. But he is an excellent finisher, if he is to make the grade he needs to get into positions more (it would help if we could create chances). But that comes with experience.

Thats the thing though Silent Bob, he isn't that good a finisher. I think he needs time because his best attributes are his strength and link up play. These assests are utalised by team players rather than flair players so it takes time for them to bed in to a system rather than have a system work round them. He has similar qualities to Shearer that while not being the biggest he is strong and decent in the air. His finishing however needs a lot of work.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Silent Bob said:
You vehemently defend Leon Knight but he could hardly be said to run around like a LOON (or be a fans favourite).

Leon was a fans favourite to those fans who wanted to see him being played in the only position he did (VERY) well i.e in the box and nowhere else but in the box. He wasn't a midfielder and he wasn't a winger and McGhee was a complete muppet for insisting he play in either of those roles. LK quite rightly despises McGhee to this day for doing that. Albion fans should despise McGhee for the same reason, cos it cost us a place in the Championship.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Les Biehn said:
Thats the thing though Silent Bob, he isn't that good a finisher. I think he needs time because his best attributes are his strength and link up play. These assests are utalised by team players rather than flair players so it takes time for them to bed in to a system rather than have a system work round them. He has similar qualities to Shearer that while not being the biggest he is strong and decent in the air. His finishing however needs a lot of work.
Well I haven't seen much bad finishing from him in the first team - when he's had chances he's tended to put them away. Just that he hasn't had enough. I agree with the rest though.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Silent Bob said:
Well I haven't seen much bad finishing from him in the first team - when he's had chances he's tended to put them away. Just that he hasn't had enough. I agree with the rest though.

If you look at the majority of his goals in the first team they have been from 6 yards out. What that suggests to me is a player who can get into decent positions rather than someone who can finish well. You give him a chance from further out than 12 yards and he struggles.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I see that byf has buggered off now that the debate has gone beyond boneheaded polemic.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Les Biehn said:
If you look at the majority of his goals in the first team they have been from 6 yards out.

And Ian Rush made a career out of it...

Im not trying to say Gatting is at his level but you have to start somewhere...

*Ianrushpliedhistradeatchesterbeforemovingtoliverpool*

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
And Ian Rush made a career out of it...

Im not trying to say Gatting is at his level but you have to start somewhere...

Thats the thing, his finishing may not be great but if his positional sense is then he should be fine.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Les Biehn said:
If you look at the majority of his goals in the first team they have been from 6 yards out. What that suggests to me is a player who can get into decent positions rather than someone who can finish well. You give him a chance from further out than 12 yards and he struggles.
Well we've not really seen him in that position many times, I seem to remember one screamer he scored from 30 yards for the reserves or yoof though. ??? And it seems the other players think he is the best finisher we have!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Silent Bob said:
Well we've not really seen him in that position many times, I seem to remember one screamer he scored from 30 yards for the reserves or yoof though. ??? And it seems the other players think he is the best finisher we have!
It's weird because everytime I saw him for the youth he always scuffed it or hit a really tame shot if he was more than 12 yards out. Certainly thumped em home when he got inside that distance though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here