Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jim D - NSC

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Whoa there... Hartys phone in is deliberately controversial, he is Albion through and through, and it is BECAUSE he cares that the phone in is such a grin.

When I lived in Essex, the local footy phone in was incredibly turgid because the presenter was less informed than the callers, not so Harty. Be proud that Albion have such embedded opinion on the BBC, it aint the case elsewhere.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
Whoa there... Hartys phone in is deliberately controversial, he is Albion through and through, and it is BECAUSE he cares that the phone in is such a grin.

When I lived in Essex, the local footy phone in was incredibly turgid because the presenter was less informed than the callers, not so Harty. Be proud that Albion have such embedded opinion on the BBC, it aint the case elsewhere.

Well said, I try to take his comments with a pinch of salt, I think its quite a light-hearted show a lot of the time. Anyway the phone-in usually makes me laugh.

However, obviously I can understand people being annoyed over individual targeting

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I'd much prefer to hear "controversial" than I would "turgid". But I don't expect to hear a supporter's integrity questioned, quite out of the blue, by the presenter when the person targetted to receive this slur hasn't taken any part in the phone-in! That's not controversial, in my opinion, it's way out of order and I expect rather better from a programme produced by the BBC. Who I shall share my comments with!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'd much prefer to hear "controversial" than I would "turgid". But I don't expect to hear a supporter's integrity questioned, quite out of the blue, by the presenter when the person targetted to receive this slur hasn't taken any part in the phone-in! That's not controversial, in my opinion, it's way out of order and I expect rather better from a programme produced by the BBC. Who I shall share my comments with!

what exactly did Jim say then ?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia

I normally direct people to http://bbc.co.uk/complaints

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well I LOVE it when people say things that inspire such indignation on here like NSC is some sort of untouchable medium. How dare anyone slag of NSC posters......

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And as I was on here posting and getting indignant for 60 mins on Saturday on the match thread I'm well aware he was probably having a go at me as well :angry::angry:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Blimey a man with a beard who is not Wilkins biggest fan posts on here.

Thats disgusting.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bearded supporters

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Did like Jim's quote about pulling out ice from the fire (or something to that effect). The again it could have been someone else that said that as I was ripped to the tits while listening to the phone-in...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Probably completely wrong, but there was a lot of people thought Barry lloyd should have gone, long before he was fired. Harty frequently has Barry lloyd on his show.....and travels with him to away matches with him in these events.

as I have done a few times.

Is this referring back to the Gulls Eye days?

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I listened to the phone in and was a tad surprised at the presenter sniping at someone who wasn't there to defend himself, when clearly he expected some of the listeners to know whom it was he was speaking about. It was below the belt and I believe the person referred to should be given the opportunity to go onto the programme to defend himself. I like a controversial programme but not one where the presenter uses the privilege of his position to snipe at someone who has no right of reply.

I listened to the phone in and was a tad surprised at the presenter sniping at someone who wasn't there to defend himself, when clearly he expected some of the listeners to know whom it was he was speaking about. It was below the belt and I believe the person referred to should be given the opportunity to go onto the programme to defend himself. I like a controversial programme but not one where the presenter uses the privilege of his position to snipe at someone who has no right of reply.

I don't think listeners to the phone-in are in the slightest bit interested in my opinion. It would be self-indulgent to pretend otherwise. In fact, it's self-indulgent to respond. But hey! This is NSC, where self-indulgence is sometimes permitted.

Anyway ...

For what it's worth, Harty claimed on Saturday that I was advocating getting rid of Dean Wilkins. I presume this was on the basis of this post of mine on NSC:-

So you think it might be a time for change of manager?

Yes. But only when we've got a replacement lined up.

But what I object to was not the fact that he alluded to that post. It was that Harty went on to suggest that "people chop and change" and that this was my opinion "last week", but "if Dean Wilkins invited him in for a drink this week, he'd be in there, wouldn't he, having a drink".

I have two responses to make. The first is that my opinion of the manager's abilities don't swing backwards and forwards on the basis of results. I've always had doubts about whether Dean Wilkins is up to the job. I would be surprised if I was alone in this. But my opinion didn't form itself because we lost at Tranmere and it doesn't change because we beat Southend. To get rid of him now, without a replacement in sight, would be immensely foolish.

But setting aside the fact that I don't know Dean Wilkins and have never met him or spoken with him, let alone had a drink with him, there's a suggestion in all this that I'm some sort of hypocrite.

That's what I object to.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
But setting aside the fact that I don't know Dean Wilkins and have never met him or spoken with him, let alone had a drink with him, there's a suggestion in all this that I'm some sort of hypocrite.

That's what I object to.

I've met him but not had a drink with him so I am truly unimportant :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here