Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"JCL" / "Plastic" sniping from Albion fans

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
Moving from probably the worst stadium in the football league to arguably the best outside the premiership, it was inevitable that the number of season ticket holders was going to jump massively this season. Equally inevitable is the jealousy of fans of certain other clubs who see our club growing and attaining more success and using that as an excuse to label our fans 'JCLs' and 'Plastics'. That's the kind of predictable comments that we should expect from people who don't possess enough wit to hit us with more original banter.

It gets right under my effing skin though when I hear the same accusations from our own fans who were season ticket holders last year and who, for some god forsaken reason, seem to feel the need to mark themselves out as superior to this year's new STHs.

I was not a season ticket holder at the Withdean but I have supported BHA since my first game in 1976 when I sat in the West Stand with my dad and watched us beat Swindon 4-0. As I grew up I got along to games when I could, always paying on the gate. By the time of the Goldstone's demise I was attending pretty much every home game but without ever becoming a STH.

Like so many other fans I stopped going when we were at Gillingham due to the practicalities of getting up there. I attended occasional games at Withdean, but never becoming a STH for a variety of reasons.

From talking to other people on my regular coach this season, I know that a lot of this year's new STHs are like me - long time supporters, not brand new fans, who have returned to regular attendance because of the infinitely better matchday experience that the Amex gives you.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but total and utter respect and admiration for those die hards who stayed STHs throughout the Gillingham and Withdean years, I applaud and salute every one of you.

But those that call the likes of me a JCL or Plastic can, frankly, shove it up their arse. I was there on the East terrace when Wardy was banging them in, when Perry Digweed was losing his knackers, I was there in the celery throwing days, and I was singing "We've got a Russian International" at Sergey Gotsmanov that day when he saluted the crowd BEFORE scoring, when a lot of you were having your nappies changed.

I suspect most of the new STHs this year are returning fans, but even if someone is a brand new fan this year whose interest in the club has been sparked by the new stadium (or any other reason) SO WHAT? If they turn up every week, make a noise and stay till the end then as far as I am concerned they are every bit a valued supporter as anyone else.

We should all stick together, save the sniping for fans of other clubs and we should welcome all new fans to the club. There will be even more of them next year, making the Amex EVEN LOUDER - can you even imagine? Lets welcome them all and stop this stupid 'JCL' snobbery. If it was just last years STHs at the Amex this year, the atmosphere would be SHIT.

Rant over, I promise my next post will not be a moany one :)

Great post. Welcome back.

Anyone who genuinely wants to support the Albion is OK in my book.

My teenage son started supporting BHA about six years ago and joined me at the Withdean as an STH. Everyone has to start somewhere.

If we don't embrace new fans, no matter how old or whether they went to the Goldstone, Gillingham or Withdean, our fanbase will shrink and the Amex will be a very quiet and empty place to watch football.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Moving from probably the worst stadium in the football league to arguably the best outside the premiership, it was inevitable that the number of season ticket holders was going to jump massively this season. Equally inevitable is the jealousy of fans of certain other clubs who see our club growing and attaining more success and using that as an excuse to label our fans 'JCLs' and 'Plastics'. That's the kind of predictable comments that we should expect from people who don't possess enough wit to hit us with more original banter.

It gets right under my effing skin though when I hear the same accusations from our own fans who were season ticket holders last year and who, for some god forsaken reason, seem to feel the need to mark themselves out as superior to this year's new STHs.

I was not a season ticket holder at the Withdean but I have supported BHA since my first game in 1976 when I sat in the West Stand with my dad and watched us beat Swindon 4-0. As I grew up I got along to games when I could, always paying on the gate. By the time of the Goldstone's demise I was attending pretty much every home game but without ever becoming a STH.

Like so many other fans I stopped going when we were at Gillingham due to the practicalities of getting up there. I attended occasional games at Withdean, but never becoming a STH for a variety of reasons.

From talking to other people on my regular coach this season, I know that a lot of this year's new STHs are like me - long time supporters, not brand new fans, who have returned to regular attendance because of the infinitely better matchday experience that the Amex gives you.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but total and utter respect and admiration for those die hards who stayed STHs throughout the Gillingham and Withdean years, I applaud and salute every one of you.

But those that call the likes of me a JCL or Plastic can, frankly, shove it up their arse. I was there on the East terrace when Wardy was banging them in, when Perry Digweed was losing his knackers, I was there in the celery throwing days, and I was singing "We've got a Russian International" at Sergey Gotsmanov that day when he saluted the crowd BEFORE scoring, when a lot of you were having your nappies changed.

I suspect most of the new STHs this year are returning fans, but even if someone is a brand new fan this year whose interest in the club has been sparked by the new stadium (or any other reason) SO WHAT? If they turn up every week, make a noise and stay till the end then as far as I am concerned they are every bit a valued supporter as anyone else.

We should all stick together, save the sniping for fans of other clubs and we should welcome all new fans to the club. There will be even more of them next year, making the Amex EVEN LOUDER - can you even imagine? Lets welcome them all and stop this stupid 'JCL' snobbery. If it was just last years STHs at the Amex this year, the atmosphere would be SHIT.

Rant over, I promise my next post will not be a moany one :)

Good post. But I think that most of the JCL stuff on here (can't speak for actually at the games, Is it really an issue?) is tounge in cheek, I guess there are a few who take it seriously but I just treat that with the contempt it deserves. If people want to sit in a shitty ground, watching a team with no money whilst getting wet just so they can be a martyr, there are plenty of clubs who I'm sure would love their cash and can provide them with such a service. Pompey for a start.

Meanwhile we have been through the dark times, and while we are grateful to those who kept the club chugging along, we are now looking towards the brighter future we have dreamed of for 15 years (one far brighter than I could have imagined during those dark days of the end of the Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean). That dream involves a full stadium and streets full of Blue and White shirts and that involves returning and new fans.

Deal with it or do one to Portsmouth.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but total and utter respect and admiration for those die hards who stayed STHs throughout the Gillingham and Withdean years, I applaud and salute every one of you

Damn right, you would have no club to be a fair weather fan of, if it were not for them. Its probably not right they snipe but they have earned that progitive. I have no clue why your so annoyed. The club has been to hell and back and it will take a while for some of the bitterness to go away. In the meantime they have every right to get annoyed with jumped up jcl/plastic/fairweather fans such as yourself. Dont care when your saw your first game. trust is earned not demarnded. What happens if heven fobid we get relagated in the next couple of seasons? Can see a good 8000 plastics f***ing back off to watch the premership on the telly again.

I dont claim to be a super fan cos I anit. But the one who are should be respected and not shot down by the likes of you.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You mean you could not be arsed. Wasn't difficult really.

So why do those that did it seem to demand such recognition, medal and lashings of ginger beer?

How difficult it was would depend on each individual situation and priorities of the time, Who are you to comment on his?

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
So why do those that did it seem to demand such recognition, medal and lashings of ginger beer?

How difficult it was would depend on each individual situation and priorities of the time, Who are you to comment on his?

I never have done. Just wasnt has difficult as some would have you belive.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
'The more the merrier' should be the attitude as far as I'm concerned. The more fans regularly going to games and buying STs, the better the atmosphere at games more money the club makes, the better players come in and the better the football on display

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I never have done. Just wasnt has difficult as some would have you belive.

What do you base this on, It was always hard for me to go to games because I worked away most weekends and lived away a lot, I went when I could. I did what I could. I accept that on the rating of fans I am not as big as some on here. But does that make me any less welcome at the Amex when I get there ( or perhaps I am making it out to be more difficult to get there than it actually is?).

All I am saying is that everyone's priorities and situations are different but everyone should be welcome to support the Albion and not feel that have to earn respect or trust or whatever you want to call it. They are watching a football match not joining the mafia.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The one thing that does annoy me is the ones that have no understanding of how Gus likes the team to play football - patiently.
absolutely there was a group behind me yesterday who when they weren't moaning about standing up they were moaning about passing. It's the one thing I don't like about cup games.

Blackcap

Nov 6, 2011
Shoreham by Sea
Damn right, you would have no club to be a fair weather fan of, if it were not for them. Its probably not right they snipe but they have earned that progitive. I have no clue why your so annoyed. The club has been to hell and back and it will take a while for some of the bitterness to go away. In the meantime they have every right to get annoyed with jumped up jcl/plastic/fairweather fans such as yourself. Dont care when your saw your first game. trust is earned not demarnded. What happens if heven fobid we get relagated in the next couple of seasons? Can see a good 8000 plastics f***ing back off to watch the premership on the telly again.

I dont claim to be a super fan cos I anit. But the one who are should be respected and not shot down by the likes of you.

If you are one of those people then I accept your criticism completely and I DO respect you completely, as I said in my first post. As it happens my first kid was born around that time which was another reason for me not going, but I didnt want to bore people with that or try to use it as an excuse. My original post probably makes me sound more annoyed than I am, its a small number of people who do it and it is not a major issue I'm just saying that in order for the club to grow we need to have new fans and welcome back returning fans. Sniping at them is unnecessary and stupid.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
absolutely there was a group behind me yesterday who when they weren't moaning about standing up they were moaning about passing. It's the one thing I don't like about cup games.

Is that only the new fans though? My dad complains on occasion about "messing about with it" and he has been a season ticket holder unbroken for 25 years or so. He's just not used to passing football......like i say Albion season ticket holder for 25 years.???

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Nobody has the right to be annoyed with FANS who couldn't, or didn't want to (for whatever reason) fight for the club. The 'dark days' were not caused by fans deserting the club. There is no scale to show who has 'earned the right' to be annoyed with new, returning or even fair weather fans. Where is the line drawn, by the way?

The club, to be a long-term success NEEDS new fans all the time. The more the merrier. Everyone will always be free to support the club as much (or as little) as they want, or can. It's personal choice and circumstantial for everyone.

Can you also point out the part of the OP that 'shoots down' these super fans?

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
This season is my first season ticket, but have always followed Brighton. Whether I'm a JCL or plastic doesn't bother me, I just want to be at every game I can. I mean, a lot of people are probably like me - they've always followed Brighton but haven't been able to go to every match, not been able to get a season ticket - and now we have the Amex, all those who couldn't before are now able to get their season tickets and come to every game. Pretty much sell outs every game tells you that.

If we lose, we lose. But the joy of supporting a "lower league" club is about the losing as well. We're here for the experience of the highs and the lows. And I'm pretty sure that all the people that have previously in this thread been labelled as JCLs etc will be back season after season purely because of how fantastic the atmosphere and the joy of supporting The Albion is.

We are a fantastic club who are going places, and if that means that more people want to come along then so be it. Let them - and let them support the club that they want to love!

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
If you are one of those people then I accept your criticism completely and I DO respect you completely, as I said in my first post. As it happens my first kid was born around that time which was another reason for me not going, but I didnt want to bore people with that or try to use it as an excuse. My original post probably makes me sound more annoyed than I am, its a small number of people who do it and it is not a major issue I'm just saying that in order for the club to grow we need to have new fans and welcome back returning fans. Sniping at them is unnecessary and stupid.

Fair point. I did go to Gillingham, but i cannot claim to have held a season ticket for our full tenure at withdean. Nor do I hold one now dispite going to pretty much every ganme home and away this season. I was mearly standing up those who did. Some will snipe. As I said its not right. But it did seem you post went a bit overboad on those who kept the club running though its most difficult period.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Our gates were falling massively before all the troubles started! It would be interesting to know how many of the 20k that went missing between our slide from the 1st division and around 91 ish have returned now that we are on the up again?

Not a complaint from me... The more the merrier I say but it would be interesting to know?

I am not a STH.. Never have been due to my personal circumstances... So I am not a real fan to some... Hey ho so what? I have been all over the country to see the boys.. I just can't go to that many games per season....What sort of bad fan does that make me then?

Good post from the op though.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Think you'll find it is a joke...everybody is a JCL at sometime or other...treat it as a laugh...I still get called JCL after 54 years supporting Albion. All supporters are welcome....

posted by JCL

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Not a good post, just a weird one.

So you used to go to the Goldstone, then got bored/couldn't afford it/couldn't be bothered to follow the club at Gillingham and Withdean, but now we've got a spanking new ground you're back. Well then, erm, welcome back.

No issues as far as I'm concerned. You're the one making an issue out of it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here