Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"JCL" / "Plastic" sniping from Albion fans

Agree with ALL of that.

This shit about JCLs just has to stop. What teh feck were we hoping for, 6.000 Withdean old boys rattling around in our brand new stadium. FFS, come one come all, and as has been said the extra numbers are either returning fans or new fans, and surely BOTH are excellent news for this club of ours.

What gets me, is that some people on here will laugh at clubs for having smaller attendances than us, and yet look down on the extra fans we have this season for being a JCL. Which do we want, big crowds that can cheer on teh team and help finance an even better team, or just the miserable bunch we'd become at Withers sat there comparing war stories of how wet and cold and dreary we've been and still turned out.

Easy choice for me, I'll take the big crowds of returning and new fans thanks. No contest.

what concerns me is there are some on here that genuinely believe if we get to a play off final we should only be allocated 5,000 tickets for the soul use of the Withdean ST holders

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agree and disagree.

When I was at school, I endured endless teasing / crap for supporting my local team, going to games etc, as everyone supported Man U / Chelsea / Liverpool. When we beat Newcastle, my Facebook page was full of people celebrating the win, and are all now "converted" because we've beaten a Prem team. Sure, it's good that the club are now milking money out of these people, but we all know that if / when the going gets tough they will all bugger off and support Chelsea again, leaving us with a massive stadium that we can't fill / afford. It's that what annoys me.

They missed the fact that we beat a Prem team back in September then?

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Moving from probably the worst stadium in the football league to arguably the best outside the premiership, it was inevitable that the number of season ticket holders was going to jump massively this season. Equally inevitable is the jealousy of fans of certain other clubs who see our club growing and attaining more success and using that as an excuse to label our fans 'JCLs' and 'Plastics'. That's the kind of predictable comments that we should expect from people who don't possess enough wit to hit us with more original banter.

It gets right under my effing skin though when I hear the same accusations from our own fans who were season ticket holders last year and who, for some god forsaken reason, seem to feel the need to mark themselves out as superior to this year's new STHs.

I was not a season ticket holder at the Withdean but I have supported BHA since my first game in 1976 when I sat in the West Stand with my dad and watched us beat Swindon 4-0. As I grew up I got along to games when I could, always paying on the gate. By the time of the Goldstone's demise I was attending pretty much every home game but without ever becoming a STH.

Like so many other fans I stopped going when we were at Gillingham due to the practicalities of getting up there. I attended occasional games at Withdean, but never becoming a STH for a variety of reasons.

From talking to other people on my regular coach this season, I know that a lot of this year's new STHs are like me - long time supporters, not brand new fans, who have returned to regular attendance because of the infinitely better matchday experience that the Amex gives you.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but total and utter respect and admiration for those die hards who stayed STHs throughout the Gillingham and Withdean years, I applaud and salute every one of you.

But those that call the likes of me a JCL or Plastic can, frankly, shove it up their arse. I was there on the East terrace when Wardy was banging them in, when Perry Digweed was losing his knackers, I was there in the celery throwing days, and I was singing "We've got a Russian International" at Sergey Gotsmanov that day when he saluted the crowd BEFORE scoring, when a lot of you were having your nappies changed.

I suspect most of the new STHs this year are returning fans, but even if someone is a brand new fan this year whose interest in the club has been sparked by the new stadium (or any other reason) SO WHAT? If they turn up every week, make a noise and stay till the end then as far as I am concerned they are every bit a valued supporter as anyone else.

We should all stick together, save the sniping for fans of other clubs and we should welcome all new fans to the club. There will be even more of them next year, making the Amex EVEN LOUDER - can you even imagine? Lets welcome them all and stop this stupid 'JCL' snobbery. If it was just last years STHs at the Amex this year, the atmosphere would be SHIT.

Rant over, I promise my next post will not be a moany one :)

Well said. We are all Albion fans at the end of the day our fan base is growing and its great to welcome new fans, lapsed fans who for some reason haven't been able to make it recently for whatever reason. Onwards and upwards for a growing club.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It gets under my skin when JCL's come along giving it the biggun and have no idea how to act at a game of football. If you're Brighton, then you're alright by me, but learn how to behave.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Good post that, but what gets me is the way people moan about our style of play. It served us well last year, by us winning the League One Title. So why moan about it now, we're not going to change under Gus and that is a bloody good thing. So stop moaning about it and get used to it, is my message!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
what concerns me is there are some on here that genuinely believe if we get to a play off final we should only be allocated 5,000 tickets for the soul use of the Withdean ST holders

And there are a load of others who will shout and scream and shit themselves about how they wont be able to get a ticket because they don't have enough loyalty points to secure one for the 35,000 allocation.

I would hope that the whole Palace ticket debacle has finally put an end to that, as anyone who had 1000 loyalty points could have got one. But no doubt a load of people will still go into a blind panic that they wont be able to get one of the 7000 Liverpool tickets, despite us having not taken seven thousand people away from home in decades.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I'm absolutely fine with people supporting the Albion whether they've been to a game before or not.
The one thing that does annoy me is the ones that have no understanding of how Gus likes the team to play football - patiently.

I have been a STH through all the withdean years - went to Gillingham etc I have my medals and lashings of ginger beer - and very occasionally i do shout "f***ing Row Z dunky" when we tippy tappy it about on the edge of the 6 yard box.

Other than that i love gus and the amex and anyone is welcome imo with no recriminations. I am also not sure how anyone would really know if you were a JCL or how the JCL's are supposed to know that i have had a season ticket at withdean for 12 years?

Dont think it really matters there are loads of people that gave a damsite more than me to save this football club - we know and they know who they are, so onward and upward supporting BHA with one voice. :amex:

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
No problem with new fans going been going to withdean all my life but what annoys me is that me and my dad couldn't get palace tickets as not enough loyalty points. Surely it should be from purchase history instead of how many away matches someones been to

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No problem with new fans going been going to withdean all my life but what annoys me is that me and my dad couldn't get palace tickets as not enough loyalty points. Surely it should be from purchase history instead of how many away matches someones been to

It is. Home cup matches are worth 20 points and other matches worth 10 so purchase history is exactly how it's worked out. Season ticket holders get more points because they pay more money into the club.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
What a bizarre couple of posts ! Gillingham was, and always will be, the arse end of Kent. Compared to the short journey to the Goldstone and paying your four quid on the gate it was both expensive and crap. I fully respect those that choose to do it but don't make out that they should be revered. No where in his post did [MENTION=22361]Blackcap[/MENTION] do them down so I really can't see why you're getting on his back.

The origanal post made me quite annoyed at first read. But I think I missed the point a bit. As the comments came back I started realise that I may have been a bit hasty in the posts i made. I really need to engage brain more first before fingers. I attack people far to readily and are soon show the error of my ways. I was tired and hungover last night. Should have been no where near this place really. I am defo going to try and post better in future. there is starting to be a bit of a build up of post I feel none to proud of the next day.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You mean you could not be arsed. Wasn't difficult really.

The origanal post made me quite annoyed at first read. But I think I missed the point a bit. As the comments came back I started realise that I may have been a bit hasty in the posts i made. I really need to engage brain more first before fingers. I attack people far to readily and are soon show the error of my ways. I was tired and hungover last night. Should have been no where near this place really. I am defo going to try and post better in future. there is starting to be a bit of a build up of post I feel none to proud of the next day.

No problem :thumbsup: I have to admit I had to re-read both his posts and yours a number of times before deciding to post but that might have had something to do with the ungodly hour and having been awake since 2.45 !

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Eh? Who is being jealous of whom?

PS I'm most definitely a JCB. I'm a former Goldstone (terrace) STH who went to every game home and away, went to Gillingham, went initially to Withdean but then I could hardly be arsed to go in the latter years to be forcibly made to sit in the cold and open to watch a load of shit. I'm not jealous of anybody, old fan or new fan.

I was pointing the finger at *some* fans of other clubs not Albion supporters. :thumbsup:

Particularly that lot who we face tomorrow.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It gets under my skin when JCL's come along giving it the biggun and have no idea how to act at a game of football. If you're Brighton, then you're alright by me, but learn how to behave.

Is the right answer if you could hear some of the moaning behind me in WSU by some fans who clearly were not around last season they are totally clueless and embarrassing

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Damn right, you would have no club to be a fair weather fan of, if it were not for them. Its probably not right they snipe but they have earned that progitive. I have no clue why your so annoyed. The club has been to hell and back and it will take a while for some of the bitterness to go away. In the meantime they have every right to get annoyed with jumped up jcl/plastic/fairweather fans such as yourself. Dont care when your saw your first game. trust is earned not demarnded. What happens if heven fobid we get relagated in the next couple of seasons? Can see a good 8000 plastics f***ing back off to watch the premership on the telly again.

I dont claim to be a super fan cos I anit. But the one who are should be respected and not shot down by the likes of you.

calm down you f***ing prick...

sorry, just seen your your later post(s), skipped through most of the posts, i get a bit like that too....
enjoy

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
JCL, fairweather fans, plastics, after the Wrexham home game there was a thread about the behaviour and the amount of RANDOMS in the Amex. Could not believe what I was reading. These randoms finally got to see Brighton play at home because of the superfans that did not bother, and they will probably be the fans who fill the new seats.
The biggest unanswered question (until now) over the past few years was how many fans have Brighton lost, the answer is clear to see whether they are from the Goldstone days, new supporters or prem supporters in the process of being converted, they should all be welcome. I think that a lot of people expected a half empty Amex before ST's went on sale, and there are more out there to come in. We managed 33k at the Goldstone and Cardiff. And moaning about moaners is futile, every club has them, Brighton have always had there fair share, ask anyone that stood on the east terrrace.
I thought that we faught long and hard to defeat NIMBY's, some on here think the Amex is their back yard.

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
Is the right answer if you could hear some of the moaning behind me in WSU by some fans who clearly were not around last season they are totally clueless and embarrassing

I took my son into the North stand for the Newcastle game and I was somewhat surprised/disappointed with some of the lads around me. For a large portion of the game they were either turned round talking to each other or, heads down texting.

At one point we had a corner right in front of us and for that whole part of play one of them was head down texting.

They then proceeded to leave 5 minutes before the end.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Let's be honest. Without the JCLs/JCBs, we would have 5,000 season-ticket holders from the Withdean era rattling around in the Amex.

We would be a South Coast version of Darlington. Welcome one and all, I say!

Moving from probably the worst stadium in the football league to arguably the best outside the premiership, it was inevitable that the number of season ticket holders was going to jump massively this season. Equally inevitable is the jealousy of fans of certain other clubs who see our club growing and attaining more success and using that as an excuse to label our fans 'JCLs' and 'Plastics'. That's the kind of predictable comments that we should expect from people who don't possess enough wit to hit us with more original banter.

It gets right under my effing skin though when I hear the same accusations from our own fans who were season ticket holders last year and who, for some god forsaken reason, seem to feel the need to mark themselves out as superior to this year's new STHs.

I was not a season ticket holder at the Withdean but I have supported BHA since my first game in 1976 when I sat in the West Stand with my dad and watched us beat Swindon 4-0. As I grew up I got along to games when I could, always paying on the gate. By the time of the Goldstone's demise I was attending pretty much every home game but without ever becoming a STH.

Like so many other fans I stopped going when we were at Gillingham due to the practicalities of getting up there. I attended occasional games at Withdean, but never becoming a STH for a variety of reasons.

From talking to other people on my regular coach this season, I know that a lot of this year's new STHs are like me - long time supporters, not brand new fans, who have returned to regular attendance because of the infinitely better matchday experience that the Amex gives you.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but total and utter respect and admiration for those die hards who stayed STHs throughout the Gillingham and Withdean years, I applaud and salute every one of you.

But those that call the likes of me a JCL or Plastic can, frankly, shove it up their arse. I was there on the East terrace when Wardy was banging them in, when Perry Digweed was losing his knackers, I was there in the celery throwing days, and I was singing "We've got a Russian International" at Sergey Gotsmanov that day when he saluted the crowd BEFORE scoring, when a lot of you were having your nappies changed.

I suspect most of the new STHs this year are returning fans, but even if someone is a brand new fan this year whose interest in the club has been sparked by the new stadium (or any other reason) SO WHAT? If they turn up every week, make a noise and stay till the end then as far as I am concerned they are every bit a valued supporter as anyone else.

We should all stick together, save the sniping for fans of other clubs and we should welcome all new fans to the club. There will be even more of them next year, making the Amex EVEN LOUDER - can you even imagine? Lets welcome them all and stop this stupid 'JCL' snobbery. If it was just last years STHs at the Amex this year, the atmosphere would be SHIT.

Rant over, I promise my next post will not be a moany one :)
where were you in the dark days:facepalm:

:moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here