Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"JCL" / "Plastic" sniping from Albion fans

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Surely these JCLs should not be allowed to post such nonsense unless the all powerful old gits of NSC say so first?

D

Deleted member 22389

Does this matter. The more the merrier in my book, regardless of your status. Lets make sure we pack this stadium season after season because if we don't the club will never have enough money to bring in new players and take the club forward. We are moving forward, lets keep it going.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You mean you could not be arsed. Wasn't difficult really.

Damn right, you would have no club to be a fair weather fan of, if it were not for them. Its probably not right they snipe but they have earned that progitive. I have no clue why your so annoyed. The club has been to hell and back and it will take a while for some of the bitterness to go away. In the meantime they have every right to get annoyed with jumped up jcl/plastic/fairweather fans such as yourself. Dont care when your saw your first game. trust is earned not demarnded. What happens if heven fobid we get relagated in the next couple of seasons? Can see a good 8000 plastics f***ing back off to watch the premership on the telly again.

I dont claim to be a super fan cos I anit. But the one who are should be respected and not shot down by the likes of you.

What a bizarre couple of posts ! Gillingham was, and always will be, the arse end of Kent. Compared to the short journey to the Goldstone and paying your four quid on the gate it was both expensive and crap. I fully respect those that choose to do it but don't make out that they should be revered. No where in his post did [MENTION=22361]Blackcap[/MENTION] do them down so I really can't see why you're getting on his back.

D

Deleted member 22389

Times have moved on and some people need to move on. I have been following this club since my dad took me to my first match in about 1982. This does not make me a better supporter than anyone else. The new stadium has laid the foundation for a successful future. Many new people have arrived in Sussex since the Goldestone days. Lets extend our friendship to these people who have only just supporting the Albion, and get as many people as possible supporting this club. We don't want them running up the road and supporting one of those London clubs do we, where they are lucky to even get a season ticket. We are lucky in the fact, that we have such a large catchment area. New support is more £ for the club. I don't need to tell you that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Moving from probably the worst stadium in the football league to arguably the best outside the premiership, it was inevitable that the number of season ticket holders was going to jump massively this season. Equally inevitable is the jealousy of fans of certain other clubs who see our club growing and attaining more success and using that as an excuse to label our fans 'JCLs' and 'Plastics'. That's the kind of predictable comments that we should expect from people who don't possess enough wit to hit us with more original banter.

It gets right under my effing skin though when I hear the same accusations from our own fans who were season ticket holders last year and who, for some god forsaken reason, seem to feel the need to mark themselves out as superior to this year's new STHs.

I was not a season ticket holder at the Withdean but I have supported BHA since my first game in 1976 when I sat in the West Stand with my dad and watched us beat Swindon 4-0. As I grew up I got along to games when I could, always paying on the gate. By the time of the Goldstone's demise I was attending pretty much every home game but without ever becoming a STH.

Like so many other fans I stopped going when we were at Gillingham due to the practicalities of getting up there. I attended occasional games at Withdean, but never becoming a STH for a variety of reasons.

From talking to other people on my regular coach this season, I know that a lot of this year's new STHs are like me - long time supporters, not brand new fans, who have returned to regular attendance because of the infinitely better matchday experience that the Amex gives you.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but total and utter respect and admiration for those die hards who stayed STHs throughout the Gillingham and Withdean years, I applaud and salute every one of you.

But those that call the likes of me a JCL or Plastic can, frankly, shove it up their arse. I was there on the East terrace when Wardy was banging them in, when Perry Digweed was losing his knackers, I was there in the celery throwing days, and I was singing "We've got a Russian International" at Sergey Gotsmanov that day when he saluted the crowd BEFORE scoring, when a lot of you were having your nappies changed.

I suspect most of the new STHs this year are returning fans, but even if someone is a brand new fan this year whose interest in the club has been sparked by the new stadium (or any other reason) SO WHAT? If they turn up every week, make a noise and stay till the end then as far as I am concerned they are every bit a valued supporter as anyone else.

We should all stick together, save the sniping for fans of other clubs and we should welcome all new fans to the club. There will be even more of them next year, making the Amex EVEN LOUDER - can you even imagine? Lets welcome them all and stop this stupid 'JCL' snobbery. If it was just last years STHs at the Amex this year, the atmosphere would be SHIT.

Rant over, I promise my next post will not be a moany one :)

So, you didn't have a season ticket for 12 (twelve) seasons but suddenly we get a shiny new stadium your 'variety of reasons' for not getting a ST dries up. Tell me you didn't have skysports for any of those 12 years, but you did didn't you?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Moving from probably the worst stadium in the football league to arguably the best outside the premiership, it was inevitable that the number of season ticket holders was going to jump massively this season. Equally inevitable is the jealousy of fans of certain other clubs who see our club growing and attaining more success and using that as an excuse to label our fans 'JCLs' and 'Plastics'. That's the kind of predictable comments that we should expect from people who don't possess enough wit to hit us with more original banter.

It gets right under my effing skin though when I hear the same accusations from our own fans who were season ticket holders last year and who, for some god forsaken reason, seem to feel the need to mark themselves out as superior to this year's new STHs.

I was not a season ticket holder at the Withdean but I have supported BHA since my first game in 1976 when I sat in the West Stand with my dad and watched us beat Swindon 4-0. As I grew up I got along to games when I could, always paying on the gate. By the time of the Goldstone's demise I was attending pretty much every home game but without ever becoming a STH.

Like so many other fans I stopped going when we were at Gillingham due to the practicalities of getting up there. I attended occasional games at Withdean, but never becoming a STH for a variety of reasons.

From talking to other people on my regular coach this season, I know that a lot of this year's new STHs are like me - long time supporters, not brand new fans, who have returned to regular attendance because of the infinitely better matchday experience that the Amex gives you.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but total and utter respect and admiration for those die hards who stayed STHs throughout the Gillingham and Withdean years, I applaud and salute every one of you.

But those that call the likes of me a JCL or Plastic can, frankly, shove it up their arse. I was there on the East terrace when Wardy was banging them in, when Perry Digweed was losing his knackers, I was there in the celery throwing days, and I was singing "We've got a Russian International" at Sergey Gotsmanov that day when he saluted the crowd BEFORE scoring, when a lot of you were having your nappies changed.

I suspect most of the new STHs this year are returning fans, but even if someone is a brand new fan this year whose interest in the club has been sparked by the new stadium (or any other reason) SO WHAT? If they turn up every week, make a noise and stay till the end then as far as I am concerned they are every bit a valued supporter as anyone else.

We should all stick together, save the sniping for fans of other clubs and we should welcome all new fans to the club. There will be even more of them next year, making the Amex EVEN LOUDER - can you even imagine? Lets welcome them all and stop this stupid 'JCL' snobbery. If it was just last years STHs at the Amex this year, the atmosphere would be SHIT.

Anyone calling you a JCL is totally and utterly wrong.

You're a JCB.

EDIT (A glossary for NSC Newbies)
JCL = Johnny Come Lately. Someone who wasn't an Albion fan before this season but supported another (usually Premiership) team

JCB = Johnny Come Back. A lapsed Albion fan returning to the fold.

I'm a BGC myself (Big Game Charlie, only goes to the big games), although slightly less this year as I have gone to a couple of ordinary League games. I'm also not so precious about labels.

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Where's Portlock Seagull when you need him?

He had a great term for it - JCL Wannabe - for JCBs who get uppity, wrongly thinking most people are associating them with the JCL tag. When all that is happening is JCBs are doing it to themselves.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Spot on. Top post.

The sniping from fans of other clubs is pure jealousy. As stated by the OP, most are returning fans from past years. Sure, The Albion have picked up some new fans too. So f***ing what?

Jealousy again.
Eh? Who is being jealous of whom?

PS I'm most definitely a JCB. I'm a former Goldstone (terrace) STH who went to every game home and away, went to Gillingham, went initially to Withdean but then I could hardly be arsed to go in the latter years to be forcibly made to sit in the cold and open to watch a load of shit. I'm not jealous of anybody, old fan or new fan.

This is a load of old bollocks, I don't remember anywhere when I signed up asking me if i'd ever been to Withdean/Gillingham/The Goldstone or Torquay away on a tuesday night in 1972
It's only on here this situation exists, a tiny minority of the 'Wrexham away brigade' will try and stir things up, but those just returning to the Albion after a few years off or have just signed up on here are making things worse for themselves by feeling obliged to list their life history, I'd like to think over the years i've got a few tales to tell, but if,, in the non internet world, some super fan started questioning my credentials as a 'true fan' I'm more likely to call them a 'nosey c**t' and tell them to 'f*** off' rather than list the matches at Gillingham i'd been to as I have to justify my status to NO ONE

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No Albion fan whether new, old or returning should feel the need to justify themselves. The more the merrier, I say. It's only those who are inadequate in life who want to point the finger and create some sort of 'superfan hierarchy'

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
This is a load of old bollocks, I don't remember anywhere when I signed up asking me if i'd ever been to Withdean/Gillingham/The Goldstone or Torquay away on a tuesday night in 1972
It's only on here this situation exists, a tiny minority of the 'Wrexham away brigade' will try and stir things up, but those just returning to the Albion after a few years off or have just signed up on here are making things worse for themselves by feeling obliged to list their life history, I'd like to think over the years i've got a few tales to tell, but if,, in the non internet world, some super fan started questioning my credentials as a 'true fan' I'm more likely to call them a 'nosey c**t' and tell them to 'f*** off' rather than list the matches at Gillingham i'd been to as I have to justify my status to NO ONE

:clap2: Ain't that the truth? If you are putting money into the club I love, I don't care whether you are 1 month old or 100 years old, I also don't care whether you have started supporting the Albion this season or if you have had a season ticket since 1901. Brighton and Hove Albion needs our money to become better and better. Every seat filled, and the new seats coming, has got to be a good thing for the club. The sky is the limit for us, as long as we keep the Amex full.

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
:clap2: Ain't that the truth? If you are putting money into the club I love, I don't care whether you are 1 month old or 100 years old, I also don't care whether you have started supporting the Albion this season or if you have had a season ticket since 1901. Brighton and Hove Albion needs our money to become better and better. Every seat filled, and the new seats coming, has got to be a good thing for the club. The sky is the limit for us, as long as we keep the Amex full.

Spot on lads!

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Like many others I fail to understand why any supporter should feel the need to criticise another. I have been going to games for over 50 years - but then I'm old! Let's not forget that in the last few years the capacity at the Goldstone was dramatically reduced, Gillingham was on another planet and as for Withdean, for most years seats were very limited and at times, virtually impossible to get hold of. Now we have the Amex and thousands more are able to go to games- great - may it long continue!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not from Brighton, started watching them a couple of seasons ago at the Withdean as I want my son to support his local team, and we're season ticket holders for the first time this season.

Frankly it has been so bloody good, I couldn't give a monkeys whether someone calls me a JCL, plastic, whatever, it's been brilliant.

As an aside, I would have taken the boy to see Brighton whether we were in L2 still at the Withdean or now in the Championship at Falmer. Was important to me that my son as a Brighton born lad watches his local side.

p.s. I've not actually heard the term JCL anywhere but on here to be honest.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Agree and disagree.

When I was at school, I endured endless teasing / crap for supporting my local team, going to games etc, as everyone supported Man U / Chelsea / Liverpool. When we beat Newcastle, my Facebook page was full of people celebrating the win, and are all now "converted" because we've beaten a Prem team. Sure, it's good that the club are now milking money out of these people, but we all know that if / when the going gets tough they will all bugger off and support Chelsea again, leaving us with a massive stadium that we can't fill / afford. It's that what annoys me.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne

This, well said!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Agree with ALL of that.

This shit about JCLs just has to stop. What teh feck were we hoping for, 6.000 Withdean old boys rattling around in our brand new stadium. FFS, come one come all, and as has been said the extra numbers are either returning fans or new fans, and surely BOTH are excellent news for this club of ours.

What gets me, is that some people on here will laugh at clubs for having smaller attendances than us, and yet look down on the extra fans we have this season for being a JCL. Which do we want, big crowds that can cheer on teh team and help finance an even better team, or just the miserable bunch we'd become at Withers sat there comparing war stories of how wet and cold and dreary we've been and still turned out.

Easy choice for me, I'll take the big crowds of returning and new fans thanks. No contest.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sure, it's good that the club are now milking money out of these people, but we all know that if / when the going gets tough they will all bugger off and support Chelsea again, leaving us with a massive stadium that we can't fill / afford. It's that what annoys me.

Or maybe, if we are more inclusive, with less of the JCL then the bug has bitten and they stay. Maybe the days of just watching it on telly are being usurped by teh live matchday experience, even if these heady days do not last.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here