Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iwelumo Unlikely To Sign On For Us!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot understand the s..t he is getting. He came here did the job he was asked to i.e help us get promoted. He was on a short term contract which had expired which effectively made him a free agent to talk to other clubs. The club offered what they considered to be a fair contract and he has chosen to ' test the water' elsewhere before committing himself to anybody, what is the problem.

As has been said many times Players, Managers, Directors even Chairmen come and go but the club is the fans and those players etc at the club at the time.

For the record I think that he was exactly the type of player that we needed to complement Leon but would have liked to have seen a bit more control on his first touch.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
BensGrandad said:
For the record I think that he was exactly the type of player that we needed to complement Leon but would have liked to have seen a bit more control on his first touch.

thats exactly where I was dissapointed and in looking towards next season where I think we'll need serious help...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Turkey said:
Ha ha suckers. You all presume to much. Turkey rules. :clap2:

The clue is in "I had hoped Chris Iwelumo would be in, but he wasn't

He didn't turn up and he obviously hadn't said he wouldn't otherwise why would McGhee have hoped he would :rolleyes:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Yorkie said:
So why hasn't he turned up for training then?

Why is McGhee surprised he is talking to League 1 clubs?

Why hasn't he signed a contract already on offer?

Blimey Yorkie. You took long enough to repsond. :D

I have already said. It may be because he's at the named clubs and talking to them and seeing what they have. Better now than in a few weeks time.

McGhee is probably suprised Chris is intrested in lower league clubs. It doesn't mean he didn't know he was talking to them.

He has, I believe, agreed to sign the contract. It is courtesy to listen to other offers though. Like I said, Leon went up to QPR and had a chat and a look around.

Lets not make too many presumptions when we don't know the full facts.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Icy Gull said:
The clue is in "I had hoped Chris Iwelumo would be in, but he wasn't

He didn't turn up and he obviously hadn't said he wouldn't otherwise why would McGhee have hoped he would :rolleyes:

McGhee may have hoped he wouldn't talk to other clubs. That doesn't mean he wasn't told in advance.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Turkey said:
McGhee may have hoped he wouldn't talk to other clubs. That doesn't mean he wasn't told in advance.

In that case McGhee would have said " I hoped he wouldn't talk to other clubs but he has" and not " I'd hoped he'd be in but he wasn't" If he'd been told in advance he wouldn't have been expecting him.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Turkey said:
Maybe he was just talking to these clubs out of courtesy ala Knight to QPR and will be back asap. It may have been the only/best time to talk to them. Lets give him a chance. We don't know the full facts. We may not be here if he hadn't made that run into the area at Cardiff. Give him a chance.
Yeah lets give out contracts for players who made a run in the box:lolol:
Reading many comments on this thread is hilarious to say the least as ewelumo is a donkey and pure crap and past it yet the famous words great addition keep cropping up:shootself

Addition isn't good enough at this level,so please spare us quality posters the crap talk.:p

berkshire seagull said:
Yeah lets give out contracts for players who made a run in the box:lolol:
Reading many comments on this thread is hilarious to say the least as ewelumo is a donkey and pure crap and past it yet the famous words great addition keep cropping up:shootself

Addition isn't good enough at this level,so please spare us quality posters the crap talk.:p

What I find hilarious is the fact that you join this thread after nearly ninety replies and still manage to spell the subject's name incorrectly, even when it's in the thread's TITLE.

You sure are one QUALITY poster. :thumbsup:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Safeway said:
What I find hilarious is the fact that you join this thread after nearly ninety replies and still manage to spell the subject's name incorrectly, even when it's in the thread's TITLE.

You sure are one QUALITY poster. :thumbsup:
Its near enough:lolol: :lolol:

Much appreciated as usual:lolol: :drink:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
So farewell then Big Chris.

I'll always be grateful to you for the run that led to the penalty in Cardiff. But I don't think we should worry too much. He wouldn't have been first choice in this season anyway. McGhee would have brought him of the bench if we needed a goal and we would have vainly hoofed the ball up to him as we did so many times last season. Leon and him never struck a great rapport on the pitch as a partnership and actually, since we signed Big Chris, Leon has been piss poor.

Still, we do need a signing or two up front sharpish. We could do worse than Mooney for starters.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
I believe that part of the negotiations with Stoke re: the free transfer included a clause that we had to pay a fee if we signed him on a longer term contract and got promoted - so presumably part of that clause would not be applicable - saving us a bit of dosh for someone better!!!

Apologies if this has been mentioned before within this thread - but I can't be arsed to look through every reply!!

I for one though big Chris was a marvellous signing at first - but he dissappointed me towards the end - and I agree, he would have just been a bench-warmer at best!!

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Turkey said:
Well the club does know.
no where in that article in the argus does it say he imformed the club where he was. mm says

"i had hoped chris iwelumo would be in but he wasn't,i understand he's in talks with doncaster and wimbledon"

if he was speaking to them out of courtesy he should have imformed the club he would be missing the 1st few days of training for that reason and then mm would have known the score but he obviously dosen't.

when leon went to speak to qpr sc knew where he was

I wouldn't neccessarily assume that we've seen the last of the Big Chris. We've obviously offered him a contract that befits his status and, not being happy with that, he's playing a little hardball. All's fair in business.

I hope the club hold their nerve, we can't be pushed into overpaying for players in our financial situation, better to go back to Division 2 (or whatever it's called now) than threaten the future with debt.

I agree with people's criticisms of Big Chris but they are largely beside the point, the more pregnant question is whether we can find anyone better for the start, or indeed the rest, of the season. None of us know the answer to that, so there it little advice we can offer McGhee.

There was a lot of work put in by him identifying and luring Big Chris, I can understand why he's a bit pissed off with the situation.

McGhee will be certainly earning his money over the next few weeks.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He won't get Championship for better wages - silly billy

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
who was it that was on here a while back claming iwelumo was getting 3 grand a week?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here