Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iwelumo Unlikely To Sign On For Us!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
LUMO is a LEGEND, he had bugger all time to create a partnership with Leon and the service was less than impressive. He's a target man but was not traeted as one.

Personally I think he'd be a decent addition to the squad.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I for one am slightly worried. Although his first touch let him down big stylee towards the end of the season his partnership with Knight was getting better. I strike partnership needs time to mature. Knight has had to work alongside 5 different strike partners!

On the other hand I'm not sure a big striker is necessary in Div 1 (err I mean the 'Championship'). We're not going to get away with route one football in this league. Rooney and Owen up front for England works so why not Knight and Robinson up front for us? What that would require is a midfielder that is capable of playing a through ball though...

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
I think the big worry is a player being tempted by teams a division below us. To a degree, I could understand Doncaster - but Wimbledon? I know they have been given new life as MK Dons and have a new fanbase, but I think that if he went there, his career would soon end in the Conference.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Lumo is good enough in my opinion, he looks good with the ball at his feet and scored a few too. We need someone like him for leon to play off of and with a bit of time they can forge a good partnership.

Stoke didnt want to let him go and the fans voted him their player of the season!

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i think it may be a blessing in disguise!

ok he did alright for us but didnt excatly set the world alight and i don't think he is up to championship football.this will give us a chance to bring someone new in

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When was he voted player of the season at Stoke?

I was talking to some Stoke fans whilst on holiday in Cyprus who found it quite funny that we should sign somebody who has proved to not be good enough for what was Div 1. As usual with Brighton I stuck up for him 100% I can slag Brighton and the goings on because I support them and attend the matches but an outsider has no right to in my eyes.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I would like to see him stay, he could be a very useful squad player. However more worrying is the fact that our strike force for the opening game currently consists of a seventeen year old who much as he may well turn out to be a great player, is clearly not ready yet. We've got to sign someone new, and hopefully keep Iwelumo as well

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
samparish said:
I would like to see him stay, he could be a very useful squad player. However more worrying is the fact that our strike force for the opening game currently consists of a seventeen year old who much as he may well turn out to be a great player, is clearly not ready yet. We've got to sign someone new, and hopefully keep Iwelumo as well

Iwelumo not good enough even akindonky was keeping him out of the stoke side.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It aint easy finding target men. It took time to identify Iwelumo. His partnership with Knight wasn't working. But this was mainly down to Knight not anticipating knock-downs. When Hart went up front briefly - Iwelumo looked much better.

I don't know what the answer is. I'd be happy keeping Iwelumo, but he ain't that good. So it's up to you Mr McGhee.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
samparish said:
However more worrying is the fact that our strike force for the opening game currently consists of a seventeen year old who much as he may well turn out to be a great player, is clearly not ready yet. We've got to sign someone new, and hopefully keep Iwelumo as well

Don't you remember? The opening game in this division is the easy one. It's the other 45 we might have difficulty with...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
On the evidence that I saw, namely 4 games towards the end of the season, I can't honestly say he did much to impress me or suggest that he has enough to be a regular first team player in the Championship. I would however suggest that he could be a good squad player, being used as and when necessary dependant on the opposition, but not a first choice week in week out.

It would appear that we are now in the position where a forward is an urgent requirement, I would not feel over confident starting the season with any two from Leon, Jakey and McPhee. I take the point about keeping the ball down in this division and not playing it over the top all the time, what we need is a bit of variety, I guess that leads back to the midfield again.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Can Wimbledon/MK Dons really offer more money than us?... Aren't they still in administration or have they come out of it without me noticing?

Morgans Mullet

Mar 9, 2004
Saw two new faces training at Falmer today - not sure who they are. One was 6ft+ (defender?) and the other was about 5ft- (winger?).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe I never saw the best of him (missed his first couple of games) but it seems to me that he wins virtually everything in the air but hasn't got a clue where he is putting the ball. How the hell is Leon supposed to know? We need a target man who has some control over where his headers go. On the ground he was just plain awful with a first touch that sent the ball yards away from him.

If appears he can't be arsed to turn up for 1st day back because he is negotiating with other clubs. Do we really want players like that?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here