Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iwelumo Unlikely To Sign On For Us!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Iwelumo was a very important part of us getting promoted, so to say he is shit is disrespectful to him and what he's achieved.

He is what he is - a good (old) Div 2 striker who will struggle in the (old) Div 1.

So, it's good news from the viewpoint of he isn't good enough for the season ahead, but it's bad news because we don't have enough strikers now, a la 2 years ago.

If Iwelumo isn't committed then he must certainly be replaced with a striker with height, presence and experience.

McGhee MUST bring in some players soon.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Icy Gull said:
Maybe I never saw the best of him (missed his first couple of games) but it seems to me that he wins virtually everything in the air but hasn't got a clue where he is putting the ball. How the hell is Leon supposed to know? We need a target man who has some control over where his headers go. On the ground he was just plain awful with a first touch that sent the ball yards away from him.

You are ABSOLUTELY right my chilly friend.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i think we need to keep him - even if he's just coming off the bench, he would be a good adition to the side

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Scotty, how can we keep him when he has been offered a contract but can't be bothered to turn up for training?

We want players who are going to contribute to the team. He obviously doesn't want to so we let him go.

MM must be pretty sure that he isn't coming back to have released it to the press.

I was delighted to see that goal at Chesterfield and there were one or two nice touches in games but Stoke had him as a reserve so he probably wouldn't be worth much in div 1 (or championship)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Icy Gull and Yorkie hit the nail on the head, if he can't be arsed to turn up for training, regardless of whether he or his agent are trying to negociate a contract elsewhere then do we really want him at the club.

I want players who turn up early for training, are so eager to get on with it that they get the balls and cones out or start warming up and practicing drills before anyone else arrives. My limited sports experience over the past few years has been through playing hockey, I never give much respect to those who can't be bothered to turn up for training and just expect to play in the team, regardless of how good they are. I love training as much as the games themselves, I would expect professional footballers to have a similar attitude, if Lumo can't be bothered to train then let him ply his trade elsewhere.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
yep totally agree if he cant be arsed to turn up 2 the start of pre season training withdraw the contract offer we want players commited to keeping the albion in the championship

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Had he continued to score at the rate he was then he would of bagged at least 15 goals last season. Not forgetting his surge into the box at Cardiff that one us the penalty. This is not good news. He would of been the sort of squad player at least that we require.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
In any workplace, someone that walks to the beat of their own drum, and not to that of the team are cancerous.

Sorry, but Big Chris should be shown the door.

D

Deleted User X18H

I'm gutted at the thought big Chris might be off

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
perhaps the reason he is in talks with other clubs is a) just to see whats out there and b) perhaps mm has said that he would be a squad player rather than a guaranteed first teamer.

Not to bothered if he leaves to be honest as i thought he looked well out of sorts in a lot of games last year

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm in the "Not Bothered" school of thought. I wasn't particularly impreseed with what I saw last season. If you are going to play the long ball game, at least get a big bloke who has an idea where the other striker is, and tries to head it on in his general direction! On top of that I don't feel the rest of his game is up to standard, and I DESPISE playing the long ball game anyway.

Cheers Chris, but
:wave:

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
can't say I've been particularly impressed at the games I've seen him play. So long as MM has a master plan for getting another striker in.:)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Lush said:
You are ABSOLUTELY right my chilly friend.

Can't agree there. Iwelumo would have to head it 30 yards to get it to Knight. When Hart came on against Swindon the difference was immediate. The ball was in the air to Iwelumo, Hart started a run, and Iwelumo headed into his path. To say that Iwelumo can't direct his headers is, to my mind, tosh.

When the ball is in the air to Iwelumo, Knight is generally hands on hips, back on his heels, no-where near.

Knight is a predator, but it is going to be difficult to get someone to play alongside him that we can afford.

Having said that - if it is true he can't be bothered to turn up for training, then it's "on your bike son".

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I totally agree about the willingness to turn up for training: this season is going to be hard enough as it is without guys in the squad who aren't 100% up for it: I would have liked him to stay but not if he doesn't want to. Farewell

Jul 14, 2003
BN2
MM, you seem to have the collective consent of NSC to withdraw the offer.

Bye bye Iwelephant.

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
Professional footballers always say the "right" things" i.e. really happy here, great bunch of fans etc.. etc.. but at the end of the day, thay are just like any of us .. they want the best deal for their long term future.

You cannot blame Lumo for talking to other clubs, how many of us NSCers have had a day away from work to attend an interview? In his shoes, I'm sure most of us would do the same.

I personally think he is good enough to do a job up front, but he needs support from Leon. He needs Leon to play closer to him to actually feed off the numerous headers he wins.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
He showed some early promising signs, and despite his apparent lack of form later in the season I thought that a lot of it was down to Knight not doing the right runs for him. I wasn't overly impressed with his feet skills, but thought that he and Knight could do a good job once they get to know each other's style of play a bit better.

But if he can't be bothered to turn up without a very good excuse then surely he's got to go.

Shame, but McGhee will find someone good to replace him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here