Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Isn't it time for action in Lewes ?.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Police watched as several hundred people in London held placards saying behead westerners held a march, so I am confident my placard with " lets have our stadium " will be ok.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I have just written to Ming.

Dear Sir,

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on your fine victory, to take over as leader of the Liberal Democrats. I appreciate and expect that you are extremely busy at this point in time, but I felt compelled to write to you, on the subject of Lewes District Council.

I am sure that you are aware that Brighton & Hove Albion has been involved in a battle to get planning permission to build a community stadium in Falmer, East Sussex. The war of attrition appeared to be over, when the Rt. Hon. John Prescott awarded planning permission, for the stadium, in October 2005. Our moment of victory was compromised by the Lewes District Councils decision to launch a judicial review in an attempt to overturn the decision. I truly believe that they are soiling the good name of the Liberal Democrat Party, with what appears to be a personal vendetta, rather than an educated decision, on the legality of the planning permission.

The judicial review is already having a disastrous effect on the club, as they have been called as defendants, costing The Albion an estimated £90,000, which is a considerable sum for a club that is creaking and groaning under financial constraints from years of mismanagement. The club is very important to the city Brighton & Hove, and indeed a vast amount of supporters, whom live outside of the city, including the Lewes District. I know that you are a staunch fan of sport as a whole, having competed in the Olympics and Commonwealth games, and I was hoping to bring this issue to your attention.

I realise that you have more pressing matters to attend to, but as previously stated, I felt compelled to let you know my feelings on this matter.

Thank you for your time and best wishes for your term in office.

Kind regards,

Paul Baron

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
eastlondonseagull said:
Quite. We just have to be careful not to seem intimidating, as 12 people in a group acting in an intimidating way can constitute a riot - that's a legal/police definition.

I'm up for a peaceful riot (bit of an oxymoron i know)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
I think the time for letters and e mails is over, we have done that for 7 years, its time for faces on streets with placards imho.

I am 100% in favour of a mass demonstration-having been on every one we've had since we started down this long and grinding road.

I think it would be helpful to let Ming Campbell know what the f*** is going on at LDC. He needs reminding that the LibDumbs are about to be booted out on their backsides until he shows leadership by beheading DeVecchi...sorry got a bit off track there. Seriously, a mass demo with pressure from the top of the LibDumbs might make the rabid cow and her ass licking groupies finally see some sense.

Get the march details up and sorted-let's get the biggest number of Albion fans we've ever had for a march/demo.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
eastlondonseagull said:
Leafleting for the referendum was very successful. Why not 'roadblock' roads in and out of Lewes and do the same thing?

A concerted leafleting campaign with factual information about how LDC is destroying our club. I'd love to get involved in this and I think, providing we're not doing anything illegal, it would do some good.

What about putting leaflets on every parked car in Lewes - including those parked at the LDC offices. It wouldn't take long with say 100 people, couldn't be constude as a gathering as we would all be wandering around seperately and best of all we could use the wanted poster on one side and the facts on the other. I'll chuck £20 in now to get the printing fund started !!!!

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes
An "Enemy of Democracy" effigy is being planned as we speak!

Just the thing to go at the front of a f'kin great big demonstration.
Bring it on!!

LDC - Wankers the lot of 'em!

:flameboun :flameboun :flameboun

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm thinking of sending this to Ming-too strong?

Dear Mr Campbell:

Welcome to the leadership of the Liberal Democrats. Your first priority should be in sorting out the rabble running Lewes District Council (and your MP Norman Baker) under the Liberal Democrat banner because they have proven themselves to be neither Liberal nor Democratic.

Your party has had a fairly easy time in Sussex thanks to the enormous unpopularity of the Tories and with Labour never in with a chance to win some of the seats in and around Lewes and further afield in Sussex. All of this electoral cosiness is about to come crashing down to earth with a massive thump.

Ann DeVecchi and her co-conspirators have exercised extreme arrogance in their bigoted fight against Brighton and Hove Albion’s approved plans to build a new Community Stadium inside the boundaries of Brighton and Hove. Yes-they are staging an elitist led underhanded fight to prevent the stadium being built-in another City and using the most despicable delaying tactics. DeVecchi and a few anti-stadium snobs decided (behind closed doors) to seek a Judicial Revue against John Prescott’s approval for the stadium to be built. They named Brighton and Hove Albion as one of the defendants and then had the audacity to publicly state that the football club need not defend itself and if they did, their legal costs would have to be met by the club. Does DeVecchi decide these matters herself now?

The supporters of Brighton and Hove Albion have had enough of the Liberal Democrats elected representatives attempts to destroy our club.

Please consider the fact that 60000+ people want the stadium (in Brighton and Hove alaone). A democratic referendum was held and was overwhelmingly in favour of the stadium. Recently, after DeVecchi and Co. announced their vindictive decision a petition was hastily organised for the residents of Lewes District Council-within a few days over 5000 of them signed, demanding DeVecchi stops her hateful campaign against the stadium (more than your LibDem MP Baker could muster against a waste incinerator-and that was over a period of WEEKS).

The non-democratic actions of a few are well on their way to destroying any hope your party has of being an electable force in many parts of Sussex for years to come. I for one will be at the forefront of any anti-LibDem campaigns unless your elected representatives actually start acting on behalf of the majority of people rather than pandering to a few monied elitists.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We've got to target the people responsible and not ordinary civilians in Lewes. We don't want 'collateral damage' as that will bring us down to LDC's level.

A mass demonstration outside Cruella's house at midnight sounds a good starting point. We can give the neighbours earplugs and, I dunno, free M&S vouchers or something to make up for the inconvieneice.

I am a strong believer in putting politicians under as much pressure as possible; the continuing campaign (or, rather, a more targeted anti-LibDem campaign) needs to be a combination of writing and direct action.

On the issue of writing, when I wrote to Charles Kennedy last year about the behaviour of Sussex LibDems and the detrimental effect they were having on party support in what is a fairly marginal area, his reply was that his party allows greater freedom to the localities than the other parties, and that the party leadership would not attempt to influence local LibDems (and that includes Baker) on local issues. This, of course, is nonsense; or, rather, it's probably true unless the leadership starts to feel the pinch. Thus a concerted attempt by everyone to make it clear that they will never vote LibDem as long as local LibDems are trying to destroy the club (and bring in the historical example of Bellotti as someone who worked for a man genuinely trying to destroy the club). This matters not just in Sussex - I am sure that a LibDem candidate/MP in, say, London, will be hacked off to hear that her or his colleagues in Sussex are damaging her/his likelihood of election.

But this isn't enough. Rallies, marches, counter-campaigns, supporting of opposition candidates, and so on are essential. The key is creativity. Always best in these situations are financial campaigns (the Skye Bridge Toll Campaign being the best recent example). Unfortunately, I suspect a council tax strike in Lewes won't get enough support. A shame. It's what would work best.

I do think a leafleting campaign informing the people subjected to LDC how much money the council is wasting would be a good idea. Find candidates willing to stand up and be counted in the campaign for Falmer and support them. You don't have to be a local voter - you could offer to help in doorstepping, leafleting, putting up posters.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Wish we could turn the clock back a few hundred years.

People like anne de-veggie would've been put on the ducking stool at Falmer pond. Now there's a thought!!!!!!!!!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Bwian said:
I'm thinking of sending this to Ming-too strong?

Dear Mr Campbell:

Welcome to the leadership of the Liberal Democrats. Your first priority should be in sorting out the rabble running Lewes District Council (and your MP Norman Baker) under the Liberal Democrat banner because they have proven themselves to be neither Liberal nor Democratic.

Your party has had a fairly easy time in Sussex thanks to the enormous unpopularity of the Tories and with Labour never in with a chance to win some of the seats in and around Lewes and further afield in Sussex. All of this electoral cosiness is about to come crashing down to earth with a massive thump.

Ann DeVecchi and her co-conspirators have exercised extreme arrogance in their bigoted fight against Brighton and Hove Albion’s approved plans to build a new Community Stadium inside the boundaries of Brighton and Hove. Yes-they are staging an elitist led underhanded fight to prevent the stadium being built-in another City and using the most despicable delaying tactics. DeVecchi and a few anti-stadium snobs decided (behind closed doors) to seek a Judicial Revue against John Prescott’s approval for the stadium to be built. They named Brighton and Hove Albion as one of the defendants and then had the audacity to publicly state that the football club need not defend itself and if they did, their legal costs would have to be met by the club. Does DeVecchi decide these matters herself now?

The supporters of Brighton and Hove Albion have had enough of the Liberal Democrats elected representatives attempts to destroy our club.

Please consider the fact that 60000+ people want the stadium (in Brighton and Hove alaone). A democratic referendum was held and was overwhelmingly in favour of the stadium. Recently, after DeVecchi and Co. announced their vindictive decision a petition was hastily organised for the residents of Lewes District Council-within a few days over 5000 of them signed, demanding DeVecchi stops her hateful campaign against the stadium (more than your LibDem MP Baker could muster against a waste incinerator-and that was over a period of WEEKS).

The non-democratic actions of a few are well on their way to destroying any hope your party has of being an electable force in many parts of Sussex for years to come. I for one will be at the forefront of any anti-LibDem campaigns unless your elected representatives actually start acting on behalf of the majority of people rather than pandering to a few monied elitists.

Strong, but it shows the strong feelings of many people, and potential ramifications to the Lib dems support. That is what it is all about, no?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
damage there propertys , threaten their familys , smash their cars up . . . .this would make them think. They need to have the fear of god put into them

*disclaimer , I won't be doing these things and am not advocating that anyone does *

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Howsabout, we see if Lewes FC could help us, rather than coincide any demo with a home game why not an away game which clashes with a Lewes home match.

A demo could take place Saturday lunch time followed by everybody attending the Lewes match, after all the Rooks have always supported us with Falmer. Maybe even a sort of fans united.

I know it may hit our away attendance but if its at the end of the season we might be down anyway and as somebody said earlier a team in league one or two is better than no team at all

Just an idea as maybe 4-5k at a Lewes match could attract coverage and show unity between fans.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
following on from above Lewes are home on 1st April v Welling and 22nd April v Eastleigh when we are away to Millwall and Ipswich respectively

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
BarrelofFun said:
Strong, but it shows the strong feelings of many people, and potential ramifications to the Lib dems support. That is what it is all about, no?

It is time for strong feelings to be shown-if we pussyfoot around any more we'll have no club.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
gazwag said:
Howsabout, we see if Lewes FC could help us, rather than coincide any demo with a home game why not an away game which clashes with a Lewes home match.

A demo could take place Saturday lunch time followed by everybody attending the Lewes match, after all the Rooks have always supported us with Falmer. Maybe even a sort of fans united.

I know it may hit our away attendance but if its at the end of the season we might be down anyway and as somebody said earlier a team in league one or two is better than no team at all

Just an idea as maybe 4-5k at a Lewes match could attract coverage and show unity between fans.

Excellent idea!!!

Can we park our cars in Famer village and get the train into Lewes as well?

No law against it and it would show the NIMBY'S what can happen without a proper Park & Ride system in place.

Once Falmer village has been gridlocked a few times they might not think Falmer Stadium is such a bad idea after all.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Excellent idea of protesting with Lewes FC. I would go for April 1st. We could have banners saying " Brighton FC go bust. If the fools at Lewes DC have their way" etc to tie in it in with the date.

At our protest we should try and get the Brighton youth team with us as an example of what football can bring to sussex youngsters. Similarly ask Sussex clubs esp Lewes, Eastbourne and Seaford if they would bring their youngsters along for the same reasons i.e a Sussex Fans Utd. We need to show that this is not just a club for Brighton & Hove, but a Sussex club and a Sussex one to be proud of!!!

We should also make plain to Lewes residents of the financial costs to them of LDC taking this to a JR.

Lets bring it on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here