Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is Woke a significant factor in any upcoming General Election?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
At face value this is the case. But if you look at spending per head then there are decreases. It’s all very well the government saying the amount of spending has, for example doubled, but it’s not much use if the population has tripled. If you factor in the increase of the aged population is even more severe.

“ But in the decade leading up to the pandemic, real-terms spending increases per head averaged just 0.4% a year and included four years in which spending per head actually fell.”

And to reiterate my previous point, ministers are taking donations from private health donors.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
True - and I never suggested that all people who vote Labour, Lib. Dem. or Green are woke - but the reverse is true, woke will only vote for those parties - and woke will never, never, never ever vote Tory!
The woke vote is, and will be, inevitably anti-Tory.
It's a dreadful state when only the unaware would ever, ever ever vote Tory, don't you think?

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Keir and Labour have mostly stayed away from taking sides on the identity politics/woke wars, they would've seen how The SNP lost voters from it.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Keir and Labour have mostly stayed away from taking sides on the identity politics/woke wars, they would've seen how The SNP lost voters from it.

Stayed away? You mean kept their heads down because they are up to their necks in it.

My last sentence looks a bit Alan Partridge but you know what I mean.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

With what they have to play with and what they are up against, I think they have played a blinder.

I've always tended to view these things like this as football. The recovery of that party over the last few years has been remarkable. The "Blair Project" if you take that back to Kinnocks attempts to stand up the extreme elements of his party took years. Starmer has done it in a season.

And fair play to yellow ones who make it up as they go along, almost credible again you stadium opposing two faced wankers.

As for the Tories, f*** me. Points ahead at the top and in a few seasons looking at relegation to league one. They'll be arguing for years whether it right to sack their manager.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I think that Reform UK will now attract the vote of the rabid Tory right wingers, giving Lab / Lib Dems a shoo in. The result of next GE is a forgone conclusion. From a personal point of view I wouldn’t trust any of them as they’re all a bunch of self serving bastards without a single Statesman (no gender input here) amongst them. What a sorry state of affairs, yet it seems to be a worldwide issue. Politicians seem to be people incapable running a bath let alone a country.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Very wise by Labour.

They wouldn’t have known it was going to blow up, 9 months ago the SNP was flying, it took the rapist in a women’s prison to change everything.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
With what they have to play with and what they are up against, I think they have played a blinder.

I've always tended to view these things like this as football. The recovery of that party over the last few years has been remarkable. The "Blair Project" if you take that back to Kinnocks attempts to stand up the extreme elements of his party took years. Starmer has done it in a season.

And fair play to yellow ones who make it up as they go along, almost credible again you stadium opposing two faced wankers.

As for the Tories, f*** me. Points ahead at the top and in a few seasons looking at relegation to league one. They'll be arguing for years whether it right to sack their manager.

I don’t know why exactly, but looking back I’ve never voted LibDem. It wasn’t a tactical voting reason in that they’d never win a Brighton or Hove seat. I vote with my heart at the moment.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not sure what you mean?
Why would anyone 'woke' (ie 'aware') ever choose to vote Tory?
Woke people won't vote Tory. I said they wouldn't, very, very clearly! It's not only woke people who are aware of things though. Calling anybody not woke as unaware is bollocks. As I said 'unaware' is not the opposite of 'woke'.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Woke people won't vote Tory. I said they wouldn't, very, very clearly! It's not only woke people who are aware of things though. Calling anybody not woke as unaware is bollocks. As I said 'unaware' is not the opposite of 'woke'
What is your definition of 'woke' then?
What you're saying is akin to "All racists voted for Brexit, but not all Brexit voters are racists".

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Here's the Guardian reporting on what you think isn't real.

Blaire White a trans person also exposes them on YouTube.

But yeah, because you think it's not real it can't exist. Jeffrey Marsh to you is a top guy and not thing creepy or predatory about them.
What are you on about? That’s a standard report from 2021 about changes in age controls (which libertarians are against) as a result of increased contacts with minors in the pandemic.

Where does it say, let alone prove, that TikTok users are turning kids trans as part of the “next wave of brainwashing like religion” which is what you claimed the other week?

There are also two types of grooming - actual grooming by nonces as understood by the police and most normal people and misuse of the word by the far right and QAnon to mean any message they disagree with.

Killed any cats recently?

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What is your definition of 'woke' then?
What you're saying is akin to "All racists voted for Brexit, but not all Brexit voters are racists".
No, that's different. I very much doubt that all racists voted Brexit - in fact I would dismeiss that as bollocks - although I agree that probably Brexit was the choice of a majority of racists. The "not all Brexit voters are racists" bit is spot on though - and some people need to remember that!
Woke, I see as sharing a broad set of beliefs, basically socially liberal - not an identical set for everyone, same as in every other group of people there will be variations, but certainly a broad core.
Your inappropriate use of 'unaware; as a derogatory term for people who are not woke, is inappropriate because they may well be equally aware of these beliefs, but simply do not share all or some of them.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The term 'get woke' began being used online to mean 'understand the historic institutional disadvantages that certain minority groups face,' with particular reference to race in America. It is now used only by those who want to pretend that these disadvantages don't exist.

Boiled down to the most common usage, 'Get Woke' meant 'understand that, statistically, your life chances, like those of all of your ancestors are impacted by things that you were born with and have very little control over.' 'Anti woke' has come to mean 'lets deny this obvious truth because otherwise we might have to do something about it.'

It plays very well to an audience that hates to think that it enjoyed any advantages, but instead is solely responsible for any success it has enjoyed. The American national psyche that anyone can make it to the top makes it a fruitful place for this kind of argument. In the UK, proponents have tried to use the general distrust and irritation with political correctness to try to turn it into a wedge issue, but it doesn't chime so well with a national psyche slightly more connected to community rather than individuality, Its made a few inroads, but its not going to get British people het up in the same way.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
No, that's different. I very much doubt that all racists voted Brexit - in fact I would dismeiss that as bollocks - although I agree that probably Brexit was the choice of a majority of racists. The "not all Brexit voters are racists" bit is spot on though - and some people need to remember that!
Woke, I see as sharing a broad set of beliefs, basically socially liberal - not an identical set for everyone, same as in every other group of people there will be variations, but certainly a broad core.
Your inappropriate use of 'unaware; as a derogatory term for people who are not woke, is inappropriate because they may well be equally aware of these beliefs, but simply do not share all or some of them.
Why would any racist vote other than Leave? Seriously?
Any 'woke' (however you choose to define it) has a definitive meaning.
Only the likes of Farage and other unsavoury characters see it as something to be derided.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here