Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Wilkins under-estimating how poor we actually were?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
do these qualities win matches?

Exactly...if you read back on my original point....

I think mcghee was ousted too early and now because Wilkins is manager and he has a youth squad we should accept pi** poor performances from players because they are young and our manager is not expireinced...i think not!

I hate to say it....but if we start really poor this season...he has to go...this club cannot and I stress CANNOT afford to go down to the bottom tier.....again.

That would be terrible for gates,player attraction...and the club overall..

If there is an inkling that its going to happen fro the first 3 months...its got to change

But good luck deano and I hope we do well and all this silly bother is premeture ejaculation..and monkey speak.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
What a bunch of wankers, moaning and dooming our (not their) team for the rest of the season, and it has yet to start.

Eff off and support Chelsea will yers?

I shall for one be getting behind wilkins from the start.

BUT if results do not improve from last season, then surely questions have GOT to be asked.

I personally will give him til crimbo to be out of the bottom six. :thumbsup:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
When Wilkins was given the job he was on a hiding to nothing....personally don't think he's any good and last season was proabaly the worst at withers footballing wiase i have seen....I'd say give him 3 months to give the team a chance to gel and if we are bottom 4 oust him and give Charlie Oatway a chance because he wouldn't take any shirkers

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
well i think he is great!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
byf. Would it not be better to give him a full evaluation when he has had a chance to really make his mark? Should Man Utd have sacked Ferguson in his first season? Man Utd were on the brink of going down, having spent a huge amount of money (relatively), but they kept the faith. I am feeling positive about Wilkins and I think he will surprise a few of his doubters. We are not going far until we get Falmer, so why not focus your support behind Wilkins and the team rather than questioning his ability and calling for MA* to come back.

*Might I add that MA has not done much of note since he left us and hasn't got an ex-fulham/brentford team to rely on for players. Yes I know he got Leicester promoted, but he had funds available. Would he have them here!?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
byf. Would it not be better to give him a full evaluation when he has had a chance to really make his mark? Should Man Utd have sacked Ferguson in his first season? Man Utd were on the brink of going down, having spent a huge amount of money (relatively), but they kept the faith. I am feeling positive about Wilkins and I think he will surprise a few of his doubters. We are not going far until we get Falmer, so why not focus your support behind Wilkins and the team rather than questioning his ability and calling for MA* to come back.

Good post BoF. It's quite ironic that the manager who brought Dean Wilkins to the Albion also had a bad start to his reign as manager but it did'nt stop him taking us to promotion in his first full season as manager.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Good post BoF. It's quite ironic that the manager who brought Dean Wilkins to the Albion also had a bad start to his reign as manager but it did'nt stop him taking us to promotion in his first full season as manager.

brian horton bought wilkins into the club, and it was adams second full season in which we went up

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
You count relegation as a success? What low standards you have

i count a record of 46 league games with only 15 defeats, given the standard of the side he inherited and the fact the club was at its highest level in 10 years for most of that reign as pretty successful

what isnt so successful though is a 10 game losing streak

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
brian horton bought wilkins into the club, and it was adams second full season in which we went up

Barry Lloyd brought Wilkins to the club and Barry Lloyd took us up in his first full season as manager.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Barry Lloyd brought Wilkins to the club and Barry Lloyd took us up in his first full season as manager.

sorry - thought you meant to his coaching role:jester:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
So the title was in the bag then if Coppell stayed?.Besides i would much rather go up as play off winners then champions.More money for the club and a great day out

our early form and the way we played suggested we could of quite easily gone onto lift the title. throw in the fact that of the teams that finished above us in the table - we destroyed qpr, scored 3 goals at plymouth and would of won that had it not been for an extremely dodgy ref, and held swindon to a draw. obviously we will never know

while going up through the play-offs is a great day out and does give the club money, id much rather do it as the best in the league playing entertaining football, as opposed to scraping through in what is effectively a lottery

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
sorry - thought you meant to his coaching role:jester:

Dont appologise Scotty I got it wrong as well, He made his debut for the Albion under Chris Catlin in 1983 but he may have been origionaly signed by Jimmy Melia? Lets just go back to talking about him as a manager. :lolol:

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
f*** sake - Give Wilkins a chance - he's albion through and through and shows passion - he inherited McGhee's f*** ups - we should expect a mid-table finish - anything else is a bonus - if we're in this div going into Falmer i'd be fairly happy to then go and get promotion back to the Championship - Where we do belong...!
Can I have a pint of what you're on.......and where did you get your rose-tinted specs from ???:tosser:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here