Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Wilkins under-estimating how poor we actually were?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I agree with Yorkie....

He did a great job at coaching boys...but managing the team is a whole different ball game..as last season proved....

I really think we are looking at a man who put too much confidence in the younger players and has his favorites...no man in their right mind would have continued with gatting as wilkins did..

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I agree with Yorkie....

He did a great job at coaching boys...but managing the team is a whole different ball game..as last season proved....

I really think we are looking at a man who put too much confidence in the younger players and has his favorites...no man in their right mind would have continued with gatting as wilkins did..

He had confidence in ths kids because he had very little choice but to do so.

That's why he is now trying to fill the team with a few more older and wiser heads.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Forster is close to getting his bus pass Al , the squad is lower mid table div 3 squad with a good manager they could make mid table with Wilkins they will struggle to stay up. I predict after 10 games we will have 9 points

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

I am going to disagree with you about Gatting.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I agree with Yorkie....

Gatting played when we had no other options! Revell was injured, Elder had only just signed, Robinson was out of form. When we got Savage in that pushed Gatting out. Wilkins knew he wasn't ready, we just had no other option.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The knives are being sharpened before a ball is kicked in exactly the same way as they were before the start of last season. The sharpeners may be different but the end result will be the same if we are not careful. A less than spectacular start to the season, at home especially and the abuse will start to rain down from the terraces. Big question is will DK be able to ride it out this time or will he make the mistake of listening to the crowd again???

Maybe we'll just do really well and everyone will be happy, doubt it though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
All good fair points. I agree Deano is a good coach but whether that translates to being a good manager is to be seen.
I definitely don't think we are relegation fodder but then again I can't see us getting promoted. 10-12th place is my reckoning.

which is exactly right.....

the problem Wendy has is that people judge managers very very quickly these days and to be honest, we stayed up by a whisker last season which was mostly his team!!!!

I think he will come good, of that there is no doubt, however I do think he needs TIME and that is what fans and more importantly hatchett men need to give him!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

the problem Wendy has is that people judge managers very very quickly these days and to be honest, we stayed up by a whisker last season which was mostly his team!!!!

I think he will come good, of that there is no doubt, however I do think he needs TIME and that is what fans and more importantly hatchett men need to give him!

How can it exactly be most of his team last season?
Wilkins had the chance to have a clearout out in the summer and didn't so this season is mostly his team not last

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth

The fans who shouted for mcghee's head after a handfull of games and the blooms deserve to see us at the bottom reaches of this division...its a reap what you sow situation.

We get rid of one our most successful managers..and replace him with a youth coach & wonder why we nearly go down to the bottom tier again.

I really really hope he does a good job..he is albion through and through and thats always nice to feel your singing from the same hymm sheet.

But with a full pre-season and chances to bring in the faces he wants...I stick to what I said...if were in the bottom 6 or there abouts come october...it's defo not working..

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The fans who shouted for mcghee's head after a handfull of games and the blooms deserve to see us at the bottom reaches of this division...its a reap what you sow situation.

The fans who constantly slag Wilkins off before a ball has been kicked this season should f*** off and support another club ie a team that wins every week

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
How can it exactly be most of his team last season?
Wilkins had the chance to have a clearout out in the summer and didn't so this season is mostly his team not last

Well we had Flinders, Bertin, Whing, erm............. Yes you are right most of them were McGhee's, but Mcghee left after 4 odd games....40 odd of them therefore were under wilkins

But dont get me wrong, i am not slagging wilkins off as I think he will come good ( although I was one of those questioning his abilities after many woeful games at the end of last season)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
byf I was a staunch supporter of McGhee but in hindsight it was clear as day that his shelf life was up. There was too much water under the bridge to rectify the situation. We had become stale and needed a fresh aproach. As it turns out, a new manager has managed to sign us some decent players, something that McGhee often failed to do. Obviously there are some exceptions, but he was wasteful with our budget.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Currie free - sold £ 250000
Revell - £ 8000
Virgo - sold for £ 1 500 000 becuase he was mates with Strachan

not sure about that bof

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

We didn't really stay up by a whisker, our safety was secured in March when we beat Northampton. Unfortunately after that there was little to play for, with a young and jaded team and some of the players obviously elsewhere in mind (Bertin), which led to the awful end of season run that saw us slide down the table, and I think largely fuelled the negativity of many over the summer.

The only time we ever looked like being in a relegation fight was the awful Brentford game, but three days after that we went and turned over Orient and looked ok again.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Well we had Flinders, Bertin, Whing, erm............. Yes you are right most of them were McGhee's, but Mcghee left after 4 odd games....40 odd of them therefore were under wilkins

But dont get me wrong, i am not slagging wilkins off as I think he will come good ( although I was one of those questioning his abilities after many woeful games at the end of last season)

Now Wilkins has had a full summer and a new season to work with.Lets see how he does.The slate is clean and the manager should be backed.He kept us up and thats all that matters.Now it's time to step up and move on from here.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
thats not right, we secured saftey 2 games from the end

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth

The fans who constantly slag Wilkins off before a ball has been kicked this season should f*** off and support another club ie a team that wins every week

As a fan of this club I am welcome to my thoughts on Dean Wilkins and his performance as manager last season...because I think it will turn out sour doesnt mean after 15 years of watching us...spending thousends in the mean time........mean I should fcuk off and support someone else.

If you think last season was a good season and were happy with the performances of the lads under wilkins tenure..then maybe you think eastbourne borough play a little bit like AC Milan.??

:tosser:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
thats not right, we secured saftey 2 games from the end
Mathematically yes. But anyone who really thought once we had got to 52 points at Northampton we were in any real danger would have been the hardiest most downbeat of pessimists.

;)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Currie free - sold £ 250000
Revell - £ 8000
Virgo - sold for £ 1 500 000 becuase he was mates with Strachan

not sure about that bof

But the crux of the matter is getting players in to replace them. He had to rebuild the team and he failed to do that in my opinion.

There is no denying that we would not have got £1.5m for Virgo without McGhee in charge, but I was not talking about that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here