Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the anti Adams faction........

D

Deleted member 2719

I am not anti Adams although i do think he is hardly here for the future.

My problem is the way a Loyal servant to the club with a massive potential has been stab then spat on and kick a few times it has made us look like a joke.

Wilkins could have taken us forward to Falmer and as much as Dick as done for the club he has made a huge cock up sacking Dean.

Charlton had the right idea staying loyal to Curbishley.

Curbishley became joint manager of the club with Steve Gritt. He took sole command from June 1995 and masterminded the revival of the club's fortunes with two promotions and consolidation into the Premier League.[9] He gained a reputation for signing good players for low prices, such as Clive Mendonca, John Robinson, Dean Kiely, Mark Kinsella, Chris Powell, Danny Mills, Andy Hunt and Darren Bent and also proved adept at bringing young players through the ranks, such as Lee Bowyer, Richard Rufus, Scott Parker and Paul Konchesky. He celebrated his 600th game in charge of the team with a 1-0 victory at one of his old clubs, Birmingham, in September 2005.[10]

Dick has destroyed Deans dream and with it he has destroyed some Albion supporters belief in him as a chairman - all in all a massive PR disaster.

It's not all about Adams.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

My problem is the way a Loyal servant to the club with a massive potential has been stab then spat on and kick a few times it has made us look like a joke.

Wilkins could have taken us forward to Falmer and as much as Dick as done for the club he has made a huge cock up sacking Dean.

Curbishley became joint manager of the club with Steve Gritt. He took sole command from June 1995 and masterminded the revival of the club's 'fortunes with two promotions and consolidation into the Premier League.[9] He gained a reputation for signing good players for low prices, such as Clive Mendonca, John Robinson, Dean Kiely, Mark Kinsella, Chris Powell, Danny Mills, Andy Hunt and Darren Bent and also proved adept at bringing young players through the ranks, such as Lee Bowyer, Richard Rufus, Scott Parker and Paul Konchesky. He celebrated his 600th game in charge of the team with a 1-0 victory at one of his old clubs, Birmingham, in September 2005.[10]

Dick has destroyed Deans dream and with it he has destroyed some Albion supporters belief in him as a chairman - all in all a massive PR disaster.

'Loyal' servant? ???

Comparing Curbishley at Charlton and Wilkins at Brighton is a bit pointless - irrespective of the fact that those two don't get on. In fact, comparing anyone at Charlton with anyone at Brighton is pointless. The scenarios are different.

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
His record with us isn't that great, he only won the league 2 title when we were a big fish in a small pond, and that largely down to the signing of Bobby Z.

It has taken him near on ten games to figure out we have no midfield and needed a back up striker.
He keeps faith in his own signings despite poor performances (Hawkins & Virgo)
He wasted money by re-signing mayo and hart
The style of football up until the Cheltenham game was far too direct.
The team didn't need major re-building as adams claims (we finished 7th with broadly the same squad)

Having said all that he should be given every chance to get things back on track until the end of the season. Finishing just outside the play offs would be a good season, with our gates and especially now we have lost impetus on stadium progress.

Whichever way I look at it, the decision to sack Dean was a poor one.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

Curbishley became joint manager of the club with Steve Gritt. He took sole command from June 1995 and masterminded the revival of the club's fortunes with two promotions and consolidation into the Premier League.[9] He gained a reputation for signing good players for low prices, such as Clive Mendonca, John Robinson, Dean Kiely, Mark Kinsella, Chris Powell, Danny Mills, Andy Hunt and Darren Bent and also proved adept at bringing young players through the ranks, such as Lee Bowyer, Richard Rufus, Scott Parker and Paul Konchesky. He celebrated his 600th game in charge of the team with a 1-0 victory at one of his old clubs, Birmingham, in September 2005.[10]

You obviously know exactly why Wilkins was sacked. We'd love to know.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Loyal to a person who's star, as they say, was falling, rather than his employer.

Interesting.
Yes it is isn't it. That's what makes it a principled decision isn't it really. Doing what he felt was right rather than maybe what would have been easy. To someone less principled at least!

You could have said that about Wilkins when we were 17th in January.
You could have, but the games in hand we had were what was said by many to be the reason for our position, and as such it was a false one. And that turned out to be correct.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I agree with Mouldy Boots to an extent - I would have loved Wilkins to take us to Falmer. But the Club have to be committed to the manager - and it appears there were things going on behind the scenes that suggest Wilkins was not being too bright in playing his hand.

And of course we can make comparisons between ourselves and Charlton.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
His record with us isn't that great, he only won the league 2 title when we were a big fish in a small pond, and that largely down to the signing of Bobby Z.

It has taken him near on ten games to figure out we have no midfield and needed a back up striker.
He keeps faith in his own signings despite poor performances (Hawkins & Virgo)
He wasted money by re-signing mayo and hart
The style of football up until the Cheltenham game was far too direct.
The team didn't need major re-building as adams claims (we finished 7th with broadly the same squad)

Having said all that he should be given every chance to get things back on track until the end of the season. Finishing just outside the play offs would be a good season, with our gates and especially now we have lost impetus on stadium progress.

Whichever way I look at it, the decision to sack Dean was a poor one.

Big fish in a small pond? What gave us the right to call ourselves 'big' and bigger than other teams in that league? Sorry, but that seems a very arrogant statement to me.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Yes it is isn't it. That's what makes it a principled decision isn't it really. Doing what he felt was right rather than maybe what would have been easy. To someone less principled at least!

exactly :clap:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
'Loyal' servant? ???

Comparing Curbishley at Charlton and Wilkins at Brighton is a bit pointless - irrespective of the fact that those two don't get on. In fact, comparing anyone at Charlton with anyone at Brighton is pointless. The scenarios are different.

werent manchester united and newcastle meant to be sniffing around him? id say not showing an interest in going to a club like that is pretty loyal, especially when you consider that in the last 10 years, we have had three managers walk out on us for bigger jobs

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I agree with Mouldy Boots to an extent - I would have loved Wilkins to take us to Falmer. But the Club have to be committed to the manager - and it appears there were things going on behind the scenes that suggest Wilkins was not being too bright in playing his hand.

And of course we can make comparisons between ourselves and Charlton.

Well, we can. But they're largely tenuous, in terms of managerial commitments.

Yes, they're a family and community-oriented club, and they were homeless for a while, sharing their ground with people they'd rather not have shared with.

But as far as 'management loyalty' goes, the comparison runs out. Curbishley behaved like a manager towards his players AND the club. Wilkins, apparently... ???

Personally, I would love to have seen Wilkins lead the team out at Falmer.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
werent manchester united and newcastle meant to be sniffing around him? id say not showing an interest in going to a club like that is pretty loyal, especially when you consider that in the last 10 years, we have had three managers walk out on us for bigger jobs

He was touted for youth team jobs at bigger clubs, and personally, I'm not surprised.

The thing I suspect Chapman was doing in his principled action/loyalty towards Wilkins over the club was that should Wilkins be offered another job - and I suspect he will be one day - Wilkins will have it in mind to offer Chapman a role at that club.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You could have said that about Wilkins when we were 17th in January.

You could, if you overlook, as you have done, the fact that his best players were shown the door by DK in December and he had to rebuild the team again, and we very nearly made the playoffs.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Big fish in a small pond? What gave us the right to call ourselves 'big' and bigger than other teams in that league? Sorry, but that seems a very arrogant statement to me.

Not wanting to take anything away from Micky - as that was a fantastic season - but I understood that we were the (or one of two) highest payers in that League at the time.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Not wanting to take anything away from Micky - as that was a fantastic season - but I understood that we were the (or one of two) highest payers in that League at the time.

Still doesn't give ourselves the right to say we are bigger than other clubs. The only way you prove that is on the pitch and we did.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I wish people would f***ing SPIT OUT what they keep alluding to Re Wilkins. It's pissing me RIGHT off.

I'm looking at you Al you FUCKER.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here