Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it TIME to SACK Ken Brown ?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Ernest you are usually top entertainment, but on this one you are so wide of the mark, Ken Brown is one of the most positive things to happen at the Albion off the field in recent times.

Explain please.

When has Ernest EVER been "top entertainment"?

The rafters?

Where are they?

SACK ERNEST. He knows so little about the club that he thinks we have RAFTERS.

Rafters??? They would be the things holding up the north stand roof?

brighton40.jpg

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Ernest you are usually top entertainment, but on this one you are so wide of the mark, Ken Brown is one of the most positive things to happen at the Albion off the field in recent times.

As someone else said Harty - please explain. Its his job to sell a mere 8,000 tickets to the population of Sussex, and so far he has not done it. The club has (and never has had) a marketing strategy to sell the club to the County and its time it did.

If he continues to fail to do so then he has to go. Sorry mate but football and business are both about results, not excuses. There have been lots of suggestions about how he can sell those tickets rom this board but noting from the club.

Ultimately it falls to him to sell. I wish him well but if he is not out there selling tickets right now to sell out the first month of the season then he should be and if he does not sell out the Withdean then Dick Knight has every right to consider Ken Browns position at the club.

See other threads for ideas that have come for selling. From dividing up the county into areas and targeting each area separately, to selling to the grey pound as well as kids, to mutual benefit selling / agency selling through schools, pubs, sunday morning football clubs. All these ideas from us and its not our job to sort this out.

Just an idea Harty, but why don't you get him on your phone in and ask him about these ideas and ask him what he is doing to sell 8,000 tickets to a very large county and population. No more excuses please.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Still his job though so pretty much accountable in my eyes.

Sort of. It's also what they employ a Ticket Office Manager for. It would probably have been Brown (or at least be part of the group) that came up with the notion of cheaper season tickets for kids.

However, if you want the club to sell tickets at a bigger loss than they already do, harangue him for it. Sack him, get the next poor mug in who also won't be able to drop the prices, slag him off, get him fired, the next bloke comes in etc. etc.

There are two things that mostly encourage bigger attendances. One, better football / better results. Two, lower prices. Nothing else gets the jaded Sussex populace off its middle-class arse and into the ground.

The blame culture some people sell their souls to and hang so much store upon really does no-one any good at all.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
I agree a good product (ie the football) helps but Product is only one element of the marketing mix. Last season was a good example. They finished 7th but because they had done so badly the year befre and the withdean factor the crowds did not come. So what was the clubs reply? Whatever the reply was, Not good enough has to be the answer.

I agree that this is not just Ken Brown's fault but ultimately if its his responsibility he has to deliver. there is no excuse for failing to sell 8000 tickets to the population of Sussex, whether we are good bad or average

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
the ticket manager's job is presumably to sell tickets, ie run the ticket office and general admin. He does not need a high profile, just admin skills and good customer service. My experience of the new ticket manager is that he is very good.

KB's job (or part of it anyway) is to promote the club and make people want to buy match tickets. For this he needs to understand the club and its fans and the only way to achieve this is to go out and meet them - not the corporate fans but the real bread and butter fans who for whatever reason are not going to the matches. He needs to convince them there is a product worth buying. For this he needs a presence and a high profile. He needs to be in the Argus and on the local radio every day talking up the club, he needs to get in the schools, the youth football teams, the pubs, etc, etc,....but where is he.......KEN BROWN, WHERE ARE YOU??

note to Steward 433.....ok you see him at every match, perhaps this is indicative of the problem, he's working very hard at the wrong things.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Timbha - I am with you. All fair points.

Come on harty, have a word wit the club and get them on your show.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I agree a good product (ie the football) helps but Product is only one element of the marketing mix. Last season was a good example. They finished 7th but because they had done so badly the year befre and the withdean factor the crowds did not come. So what was the clubs reply? Whatever the reply was, Not good enough has to be the answer.

I agree that this is not just Ken Brown's fault but ultimately if its his responsibility he has to deliver. there is no excuse for failing to sell 8000 tickets to the population of Sussex, whether we are good bad or average

There are plenty of 'excuses' for not selling 8,000 tickets - and some even stand up. But that's another argument.

We finished 7th, but - and I know this sounds daft - seventh was our final position. What I mean is, we hardly hit 7th until the end of the season (admittedly we had games in hand, but some people can't see that far ahead - we were in 15th place, so therefore we were shit etc...). Towards the end of the season, the crowds did recover from a low of 4,700 to an average of over 6,700.

For some people, it was already too late for that season. Some had made their minds up without wanting to see the product.

More can always be done, and for me, he is a bit too much of a behind the scenes man, not always wanting to answer the supporters in public, but this 'blame culture' of one person for other people's non-attendace is silly.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
My point was and still is: if we needed 2 people to do a job that 1 person is currently doing why were 2 people needed 6 months ago?

I might also ask why was I pretty much called a twat for daring to ask such a question but I will let that one slide.

Another question: why if we have 'lost' Chapman and Wilkins (2 posts whichever way you look at it) have they only been replaced by Robert Booker (1 post whichever way you look at it)?

Could it again be that 2 heads arent always better than 1, especially when it comes to payday?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Has Paul Rogers now retired from Worthing FC and did that take up much of his time? It does seem a bit 'gravy train-like' if Rogers is taking over the role of Dick's brother-in-law ontop of his previous role.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
from today's Argus website....

Albion managing director Ken Brown said not all last season's regulars had renewed but added: "There will always be a percentage who wait for a while. Our mood is one of cautious optimism."

is this as good as it gets when trying to talk up the club?

evidence that he exists!!!

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
from today's Argus website....

Albion managing director Ken Brown said not all last season's regulars had renewed but added: "There will always be a percentage who wait for a while. Our mood is one of cautious optimism."

is this as good as it gets when trying to talk up the club?

evidence that he exists!!!

This is where maybe someone should be picking up the phone and talking to these people and asking "why haven't you renewed sir?"

Find out why and take note of it, if you get 20 or so people renewing its worth the time spent.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
My point was and still is: if we needed 2 people to do a job that 1 person is currently doing why were 2 people needed 6 months ago?

I might also ask why was I pretty much called a twat for daring to ask such a question but I will let that one slide.

Another question: why if we have 'lost' Chapman and Wilkins (2 posts whichever way you look at it) have they only been replaced by Robert Booker (1 post whichever way you look at it)?

Could it again be that 2 heads arent always better than 1, especially when it comes to payday?

1+1 = 2?

chapman + wilkins = 2?
Booker + adams = 2?

so what you dribbling on about?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here