Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it TIME to SACK Ken Brown ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that a lot of fuss is made over the price of a ticket and it is used as a very poor excuse. In general if the product is good people will pay the asking price unfortunately our product at the moment is substandard so the whingers come out of the closets. This month may prove to be the exception because we have so many home games on top of each other, that price may be a factor but normally it is 2 games per month maximum 3 at home which equates to less per week than one night in the pub.

This is not a problem that has just arisen it was staring us in the face with lack of investment when in The Championship, and has just got progressively worse and until the performances improve it will continue to fall.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes why not? Where is this massive influx of commercial business coming from? There isnt any is there? What has changed since this posts were created? Still no money, still struggle to get match sponsors etc.

You still don't have a clue what Paul Rogers and Kevin Keehan do then, do you? If you did, you'd realise how daft your statement is.

If there was a 'massive influx of business', they would probably employ a third person to work on it.

We have been assured that the funding was always in place for Falmer but couldnt be revealed. This is clearly utter bollocks which is why fingers are being pulled out now. Its common knowledge that we approached the National Lottery for funding. Its obvious that its gonna come down to a whip round and who can dig the footings on sunday, concrete them on monday and so on.

I recall seeing no such statement about funding being in place - and it isn't yet, and won't be for a few months.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I think that a lot of fuss is made over the price of a ticket and it is used as a very poor excuse. In general if the product is good people will pay the asking price unfortunately our product at the moment is substandard so the whingers come out of the closets. This month may prove to be the exception because we have so many home games on top of each other, that price may be a factor but normally it is 2 games per month maximum 3 at home which equates to less per week than one night in the pub.

This is not a problem that has just arisen it was staring us in the face with lack of investment when in The Championship, and has just got progressively worse and until the performances improve it will continue to fall.

I have said for ages that the cost for most people is immaterial, when it was accepted that mid table mediocrity was the limit of our on field ambition that is when we started this decline in gates.
If we were in 2nd or 3rd position in the table you would have a sell out already next Tuesday and people begging on here for tickets.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
You still don't have a clue what Paul Rogers and Kevin Keehan do then, do you? If you did, you'd realise how daft your statement is.

If there was a 'massive influx of business', they would probably employ a third person to work on it.

I recall seeing no such statement about funding being in place - and it isn't yet, and won't be for a few months.

So no one has ever said 'We cant tell you where the funding is coming from because it is a commercial proposal and these things cant be revealed until we get planning permission' (Or words to that effect?)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I don't necessarily agree about - 'better football - more fans'. Or rather, it's still not the pervading reason. It's not as though we packed them in when we were in 6th place. £23.00 is too steep for some people, and it's not strictly the football - it's also the facilities, or lack of them. Somthing as fancy as a roof - something we know we're not going to get - would be nice etc.

I'd expect to pay £23.00 for a ticket at Falmer - and think of the difference in quality on offer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What was the price of admission during the MA glory days and how does that relate in real terms to now. I am not sure because then I bought a standard season ticket now I am an old codger.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Yes, quite a few times. But that's not what you asked.

Sorry, I'm confused now.

Let me try to assist you:

I said
'We have been assured that the funding was always in place for Falmer but couldnt be revealed'.

To which you said:
'I recall seeing no such statement about funding being in place - and it isn't yet, and won't be for a few months'.

To which I retorted:
'So no one has ever said 'We cant tell you where the funding is coming from because it is a commercial proposal and these things cant be revealed until we get planning permission' (Or words to that effect?)'

To which you conceded:
'Yes, quite a few times. But that's not what you asked'.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
But the 'MA glory days' as you refer to them saw fuller houses not because of the quality of the football but also because of the fact that we had only just come back to Brighton after a long time away. The fact that withdean was a shithole didn't matter then. After 10 years the novelty of being back in Sussex has long worn off and the fact that the ground is a dump is a very real factor. I know a few people that have effectively said 'now that Falmer is in the bag I'll leave withdean for the time being and start coming again when we're in a proper ground'

In case you've forgotten at times we saw some pretty awful football under Micky Adams and he was allowed the time to come good for us. Perhaps we should give Wilkins the same opportunity, eh?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
But the 'MA glory days' as you refer to them saw fuller houses not because of the quality of the football but also because of the fact that we had only just come back to Brighton after a long time away. The fact that withdean was a shithole didn't matter then. After 10 years the novelty of being back in Sussex has long worn off and the fact that the ground is a dump is a very real factor. I know a few people that have effectively said 'now that Falmer is in the bag I'll leave withdean for the time being and start coming again when we're in a proper ground'

In case you've forgotten at times we saw some pretty awful football under Micky Adams and he was allowed the time to come good for us. Perhaps we should give Wilkins the same opportunity, eh?

Adams had one season rebuilding, Wilkins has had nearly 2 seasons now so how much more time has he got ?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I have said for ages that the cost for most people is immaterial, when it was accepted that mid table mediocrity was the limit of our on field ambition that is when we started this decline in gates.
If we were in 2nd or 3rd position in the table you would have a sell out already next Tuesday and people begging on here for tickets.

Your last sentence is blindingly obvious.

Your first sentence is not. When did anyone say that mid-table mediocrity is the limit of our ambition?

No-one at the club has ever said that. No-one on NSC has ever said that.

For me, winners of the Champions League is my ambition. My expectation, with the players and resources we have is, sadly, upper-mid-table in League One. Maybe be with a lot of luck, the play-offs.

I don't believe anything can change that except a huge cash-injection from a new, very wealthy 'investor' and/or Falmer. Even then, there are no guarantees.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No-one at the club has ever said that. No-one on NSC has ever said that.

DK said it at the begining of last season at a Fans Forum and MM said that HE was after promtion. In fairness to DK he did say this year we would be going for promotion, which is a god send because imagine where we would be in the league if we weren't trying for promtion!!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Adams had one season rebuilding, Wilkins has had nearly 2 seasons now so how much more time has he got ?
Adams rebuilding was by a more experienced manager and in a lower division. This is Wilkins first job and he's had to do it at a higher level. As the guy is still in the early days of learning his trade I am prepared to cut him a bit of extra slack as he is albion through and through. If he was really a crap manager I don't thinkwe would have had the early flirtation with the playoff places that we had. Whether he can be a really good manager for us remains to be seen, but a year and a half in a job like that is not really that long, especially if you are trying to really build a side for the longer term.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Let me try to assist you:

I said
'We have been assured that the funding was always in place for Falmer but couldnt be revealed'.

To which you said:
'I recall seeing no such statement about funding being in place - and it isn't yet, and won't be for a few months'.

To which I retorted:
'So no one has ever said 'We cant tell you where the funding is coming from because it is a commercial proposal and these things cant be revealed until we get planning permission' (Or words to that effect?)'

To which you conceded:
'Yes, quite a few times. But that's not what you asked'.

Well, yes, I got that. But the second and third statements have NOTHING to do with each other.

So let me assist you.

You said (quite correctly) that club has said 'We cant tell you where the funding is coming from because it is a commercial proposal and these things cant be revealed until we get planning permission'.

So where in that phrase does it say - or even imply - that funding is actually in place?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One thing is for sure - if we stay in 16th place with Wilkins at the helm the club will find it hard just to shift the same amount of season tickets as last year.

Knight has talked about the importance of momentum going into Falmer, and you think that the sort of momentum need to get 12,000-14,000 into the stadium regularly would take at least 2 years to build.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Well, yes, I got that. But the second and third statements have NOTHING to do with each other.

So let me assist you.

You said (quite correctly) that club has said 'We cant tell you where the funding is coming from because it is a commercial proposal and these things cant be revealed until we get planning permission'.

So where in that phrase does it say - or even imply - that funding is actually in place?

Isnt it implied by saying 'We cant tell you where its coming from...' That it is in place?

My point being that I dont think it is and ever was. Leading to my worry that there may (or may not be I concede) people being employed by the club that may not need to be, given their wages and apparent lack of impression.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Can I just say lay off Tubby because he doesnt put his holiday plans or ask NSCs advice on his personal life on here.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Tubby, do you have any commercial dealings with the club ?

Do I regularly contribute to the club financially in any way other than ticket sales?

Yes I do, in fact it is the only way I contribute to the club finacially at the moment having only paid to see one home game this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here