Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gus safe?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Yes it's a world of extremes and polarities. If anyone questions a decision by the manager they obviously want him sacked. It's a manichean(if that's the word) universe.
One simple question - has playing Tariccho made Gus's job much harder as he hasn't got as much support?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
Forgot to add - it was a dire performance today against possibly the weakest team in this division. Yes we are missing some important players but has NSC become totalitarian when it comes to discussing the team?

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Personally I feel that we should all stick by Gus. This forum was alive with praise for him not so long ago.

Has he become a worse manager? I think it's unlikely.

Does he need to learn how to play in the most competitive league in the country. Yes

Does he need a fully fit squad to help him. Yes

Most importantly does he need the fans to support him. Absolutely

It's a marathon not a sprint and we should give him time. Much more time.

Even if relegation hits (which I don't think it will) I would stick with him.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
Personally I feel that we should all stick by Gus. This forum was alive with praise for him not so long ago.

Has he become a worse manager? I think it's unlikely.

Does he need to learn how to play in the most competitive league in the country. Yes

Does he need a fully fit squad to help him. Yes

Most importantly does he need the fans to support him. Absolutely

It's a marathon not a sprint and we should give him time. Much more time.

Even if relegation hits (which I don't think it will) I would stick with him.

Agree with most of that but I have a problem with the idea that Gus is infallible. Am pleased that Steve Cook is being recalled. Lets hope that January can turn things around.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I have not posted for ages as this board has become a joke but have just got back from the pub and needed to respond to this thread. Haven't been arsed to read it all but the number of people I have seen who are slagging off Poyet amazes me. So called fans with very short memories. We have a massive injury list and yet people can't see that it will turn around. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion and so on but anyone seriously suggesting we should sack Poyet is an idiot and proof of what is wrong with NSC these days. Sadly a lot of fans thought we would walk this league and be in the Premier League next year and are now upset this isn't happening. If people were even slightly realistic they would not be questioning Gus' position and I am sure that the board don't have the short term view of some fans considering four games ago we were in the play offs.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Don't think Gus will leave nor should he......yet. He needs time and hopefully he will overcome his stubboness and adapt our way of playing to get results.

If he did go for any reason, i would really hope for Alan Curbishley. Albion legend, did fantastic job at Charlton, did a great job at West Ham and only left (with them in top 10) as he had players sold from under him without his say so.

Great manager, knows what it takes to get out of this league and I reckon he might take it

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
If we go down then Gus's position should be reviewed. Although if we do go down I think he'll walk.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
three months ago we were jokingly welcoming bad results as they made gus less of a target for other teams , now we are suggesting that his position might be in jeopardy..........i don't think he is in any danger , we are on a shit run of results and southampton looks like a game we need LEAST at the moment but there are no easy games in the championship.......he has always said he is here for the long term hasn't he.....?? one thing that needs immediate attention is the discipline.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
You lot don't deserve someone of his quality. Bunch of Fuckwits the lot of you. If you fail to see how he reshaped the club from top to bottom, you are idiots. By all means question some recent results but if you think him leaving is the answer then you know NOTHING about football.

Give me one name of someone who would do better

Totally agree with you, I'm not reading anymore of this thread and am frankly over all the whinging that's been going on ever since we slid from the totaly unrealstic heights of top spot. As I've said many times before and am so bored of repeating, too many folk on here have simply got no idea how lucky they are to have Gus. Once I've finished downloading DIP's latest soul playlists I think I'm taking a hiatus from all this negativity, don't need it.....
:flounce:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
If anyone can't see that Poyet and Bloom are the best thing to happen to this club since Mullery and Bamber, they need their heads examining. Were any of the moaners on this thread actually at Hereford in 1997?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'm surprised people are happy to see us go down without sacking poyet, I very much doubt it's what bloom has planned, and I would expect him to take steps before then if it looks likely.

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
just read all the thread and it takes a palace pikey to put it into context,you have to build a sqaud over a few seasons not over night.STILL ON THE GUS BUS.

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
I'm surprised people are happy to see us go down without sacking poyet, I very much doubt it's what bloom has planned, and I would expect him to take steps before then if it looks likely.

surely you should post this in may and you contradict yourself go down/before it happens?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Impossible to offer any constructive view ... reading through this thread it's simply rational vs emotional with the emotional distorting and misrepresenting and even questioning loyalty. Think I'll steer clear

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
We're 16th, and we're only there because of the first 7 games

You mean the 7 games where Gus had virtually a full squad to pick from? The fact he's now down to having to pick a team thats a lot weaker than last seasons does'nt seem to get a mention though.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
You lot don't deserve someone of his quality. Bunch of Fuckwits the lot of you. If you fail to see how he reshaped the club from top to bottom, you are idiots. By all means question some recent results but if you think him leaving is the answer then you know NOTHING about football.

Give me one name of someone who would do better

Well said. When I saw the thread title I assumed it was a joke, depressingly it isn't.

Mistasita

May 7, 2011
Gus seems very sure that his system is the correct one and maybe he is right , as keeping the ball safe , not letting the opposition get hold of it , probing for openings and scoring goals is a nice experience for all of us to watch........trouble is the current squad are not too good at it bar 3 or 4.
We need to consider the opposition more and adapt.
we also need a new GK , big C/frwd who can head the ball and bring other players into the game , and 2 reliable reasonably pacey f/backs NOW.
we have been riding our luck since the start and have had quite a few thin margin wins where we could have dropped even more points .
unfortunately we are already in a battle to remain in the Championship and need to face it.
I think we can steady the ship with grit, determination and sensible player recruitment , but we need to support the team like we have already as a solid crowd.
it is imperative we survive in this division .

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
We have finished the year in the highest league position for 21 years...............and still they whine.
With that mentality we have no hope,we have a £100 million stadium and million pound players,not the withdean and 50k players.

On another note im a big gus fan,but im getting really bored with our negative football week in week out,the most predictable football ever.Can't score goals and barely have shots in many games,why can't gus see this?

It pains me to say it but with our forwards and wingers we should be doing a lot better,why sit quality on the bench just so we can sit back and concede goals?many more problems.

Im 90% sure we would be higher if we had a diffrent manager,but im sure gus will build his team again and succeed. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here