Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gus safe?

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
TheOptimist: Tbf, I only read the first page of the thread before posting, perhaps the rest is more reasonable but I didn't have the stomach for it after that!

Yeah the first page is ridiculous! I think the rest is mainly criticism that stops a long way short of asking for Gus to be sacked.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
How many people have actually said we should get rid of Gus? People have been criticising Gus but that isn't the same as saying we should sack him.Given that we have 16 points from the last 18 games I'm not surprised that there people are moaning.

Yep, that seems about the size of it to me too. :thumbsup:

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
If anyone can't see that Poyet and Bloom are the best thing to happen to this club since Mullery and Bamber, they need their heads examining. Were any of the moaners on this thread actually at Hereford in 1997?

Yes

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
If we haven't signed anyone by tonight then surely Gus has to go. It's been 12 hours since the transfer window opened and still no signing, its a becoming a joke

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We're 16th, and we're only there because of the first 7 games

What a bloody idiotic thing to say ! We're 16th because of ALL 24 games we've played not because of the first 7. You do realise there are a total of 46 games don't you ? I'll be more than happy with 16th at the end of the season but appears some people are too stupid to recognise projects like this take time - I blame the "want it now" culture.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I still think Gus is a very good manager and certainly not afraid to make big decisions when they are called for. As long as we don't go down, i will stay with him 100%

I can't be bothered to scribe anything of substance apart from. If you want Gus out you are a f***ing idiot. It just does my nut that people on here are so stuck and set in their own ways with the style of football that as soon as we go on a bad run, may I add having never really been on a bad run in League One under Gus, people want him out and some "Aidy Boothroyd", hearts on sleeves hoof merchant to sort it out.

LOOK at what the man has done for christ sake you morons! Saved us from relegation. Took us up the next year. Brought us into a new home and made a superb start to the season. Re-structured the club from top to bottom so that now the u14 to the first team play the Gus way. Brought quality players in such as Noone and Lua Lua who get the fans on thier feet. And this season he has had to contend with as many injuries as I can remember.

An unbeleivable lack of faith in our manager. A man with an outstanding playing career who can attract players such as Vicente and wipe the floor with most who would come in for this job. In GUS we f***ing trust.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Let's stop all this f***ing rubbish right now

We have a team that plays attractive football, but is hampered by massive injury list and are obviously struggling and we need to get behind them instead of constantly slagging the manager off.

So who do you people want ...Russell f***ing slade,

As I said previously get a bloody grip . We are in a very difficult league with teams that have been playing in this division or the premiership for bloody ages and we have Ben playing in the arse end of the third and fourth division for bloody ages....what the f*** do you expect.

We hope we will stay in this division this season....that will be a triumph and all this talk about premiership eas always a pipe dream

I haven't read the whole thread, but totally 100% this.

I know it's lazy just quoting gw's post. But how can some of you be so shallow?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I'm not Gus's biggest fan, I don't think he has bought well this season and he has very little discipline which clearly comes across on the players which is why we are top of the red / yellow card league.

That said I do like his style of play and the want to get the ball down and play. This transfer window will be the making of him as the Albion manager he has had half a season in the Championship to assess the squad both strengths and weakness.

Get behind Gus, he and the side need are support right now.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
NSC plummets to new depths with this thread. His win percentage is miles ahead of anyone post-war and yet people are getting on his back after four consecutive defeats. I'm not saying his perfect, his made mistakes like most other young managers but he will turn this around we just need to remain patient and wait for our injury/suspension crisis to end.

Common sense.

Why did Tony sign Gus as manager? Potential.
Why did Gus come to Brighton? Potential.

We are a work in progress that at the moment is having to contend with a stack of injuries and suspensions without the deep squad those with larger budgets can afford.
Things will improve, and we will turn it around.

The one cast iron certainty at the moment is that the crowd can make a MASSIVE difference tomorrow against Saints. Getting on the players' backs or giving Gus grief might make you feel better but it won't help the team one iota. If we get behind the team Burnley game-style you can throw the form book out of the window.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
Let's stop all this f***ing rubbish right now

We have a team that plays attractive football, but is hampered by massive injury list and are obviously struggling and we need to get behind them instead of constantly slagging the manager off.

So who do you people want ...Russell f***ing slade,

As I said previously get a bloody grip . We are in a very difficult league with teams that have been playing in this division or the premiership for bloody ages and we have Ben playing in the arse end of the third and fourth division for bloody ages....what the f*** do you expect.

We hope we will stay in this division this season....that will be a triumph and all this talk about premiership eas always a pipe dream

in all honesty mate what is attractive about the football we have been producing?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
What a bloody idiotic thing to say ! We're 16th because of ALL 24 games we've played not because of the first 7. You do realise there are a total of 46 games don't you ? I'll be more than happy with 16th at the end of the season but appears some people are too stupid to recognise projects like this take time - I blame the "want it now" culture.

Get a grip.You know what he means and if you don't then you should!

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
In response to the topic of the thread - yes I think Gus is more than safe. As he should be!!!! I just wish he would be a bit less stubborn a try different tactics.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Anyone who wants Gus out needs to have a long hard look at themselves. He delivered the League One Championship last season and at times we have looked a great side and the club is being built for the next 30 years by him and TB.

However in the short term he has a few things to work on. Ankergen looks shot at the moment and he obviously doesn't fancy Brezovan or Poke to come in for him. I personally think we are making more errors since Tano starting playing more, so perhaps he is being missed on the training pitch?

I see what he was trying to do by bringing in Paynter but he guy isn't up to it.

Big month coming up of which a couple of shrewd decisions could turn the season.

Last but not least, stop talking about Suarez and concentrate on the matter in hand.

Last edited:

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Some of you have got way over excited over this thread. No one is demanding he should go. The title was "Is Gus safe?" It seems that questioning Gus's managerial skills is just not allowed???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here