Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gus safe?

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
You have to ask how many English league teams successfully play the passing football he's trying to get us to play, probably only Arsenal (what do win?) and their wage bill must be £50 million+, sure, don't give the ball away but we have better forward players than our meager goal tally shows but they are never allowed to show their abilities - time to change the tactics or every team will just shut us down and at this level our strikers need more than one chance per game to score.
I think Gus will remain but Tony must be worried that having invested so much, if the man spending his money is doing it to satisfy his own ego in pursuit of an unrealistic dream.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You have to ask how many English league teams successfully play the passing football he's trying to get us to play, probably only Arsenal (what do win?) and their wage bill must be £50 million+, sure, don't give the ball away but we have better forward players than our meager goal tally shows but they are never allowed to show their abilities - time to change the tactics or every team will just shut us down and at this level our strikers need more than one chance per game to score.
I think Gus will remain but Tony must be worried that having invested so much, if the man spending his money is doing it to satisfy his own ego in pursuit of an unrealistic dream.

Swansea are doing ok in the Premier League.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
To be honest, I hope Gus walks. Not because I think he deserves to go, not because I think we need a change and not because I think we would get anyone better. I hope he walks because of the element of idiots that we have in our fanbase. Granted he is not untouchable, but some of the comments displayed in this thread show such a fundamental lack of knowledge of the game it is unbelievable.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Swansea are doing ok in the Premier League.

As I asked in another thread and didn't get an answer ... don't all teams playing passing football? Only one I can think that really hoof it is Stoke .. every side I've seen at Amex this season have played a passing game .. WHam less given they had decided to combine a sit back and let us tap it around.

Are peeps getting a bit carried away thinking Gus is unique in his desire to keep the ball down and pass it? I agree the way we play it out from the back is pretty unique other than that our style is pretty standard, just poorly executed at mo

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This is a seriously stupid thread. Our fans are SO deluded its embarrassing. Yeah, get rid of a manager who has revolutionalised the entire club top to bottom. Great idea. Ooh, I know lets replace him with some journeyman shite who will cap our progress at 18th in the Championship!

Get a grip people. Why is it that the moment things don't go well our fans jump on the back of players and managers.

Serious question: How long before someone starts to blame Bloom?

WallyBanana

Jan 5, 2007
Haywards Heath
I was under the impression that the majority would have settled with Championship consolidation this season? I think we're well on course for this. As for Gus being safe, riddiculous thing to start a thread about. We will come good. I'd be more worried if we had everyone available and fit and were still having these issues, but we have so many players unavailable so lets get behind the team and worry when we need to worry, not now as we're 7 points off the play offs still! People need to take a reality check!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Gus won't be sacked this season, unless we get sucked into a relegation battle we can't get out of. His ideas and the way he is involved in the club, he is regarded by the board as the best manager the club have had in years. Board are very comfortable with him.

I think we will have these ups and downs this season, injuries and unfortunate bookings haven't helped. I also think there is only really 1 relegation spot this season, so we will be fine. This talk is madness !

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
This thread is absolutely, completely insane. We're in the second tier of English football, arguably the strongest second-tier in the world, with a pretty much rookie manager and a squad that's missing several key players. Poyet's first half-season with us was a bit hit-and-miss until he found his feet in the division the following year. We owe it to him to at least see if he can repeat the trick.

In your first season in a new division, simply staying up is an achievement. That's an immutable fact of football. I can't believe people are even having this conversation. When did failing to gain successive promotions become a reason for sacking? Jesus christ, I'm glad I don't work for any of you people.

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
Gus is new to management and very new to management at this level. He will get things wrong, we all do. We have had an ever increasing list of injured or suspended players. We are now at probably our weakest. I don't think anyone (Gus included) could say that this season so far has been without fault, we are all learning. The transfer window has now opened, let's see what happens during the next month.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
How many people have actually said we should get rid of Gus? People have been criticising Gus but that isn't the same as saying we should sack him.Given that we have 16 points from the last 18 games I'm not surprised that there people are moaning.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think we all became infected with "Leeds United Syndrome" back in early September and ever since the Palace result we've gone downhill and its hit us hard emotionally.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
This is a seriously stupid thread. Our fans are SO deluded its embarrassing. Yeah, get rid of a manager who has revolutionalised the entire club top to bottom. Great idea. Ooh, I know lets replace him with some journeyman shite who will cap our progress at 18th in the Championship!

Get a grip people. Why is it that the moment things don't go well our fans jump on the back of players and managers.

Serious question: How long before someone starts to blame Bloom?
the end of january transfer window is my guess

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
TheOptimist: Tbf, I only read the first page of the thread before posting, perhaps the rest is more reasonable but I didn't have the stomach for it after that!

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
can't believe a lot of this. there are 4 points between 7th and 16th. this league is much, much tougher than L1 and we faced it without our best two from last year - and i don't think it was gus' choice to offload them. he has more than shown his ability to take mediocre players and turn them into match-winners - but those players have hit a wall in this league - but you can tell they are still giving every ounce of effort for him. he has brought in decent players with a view to making them great players and they keep getting injured (or come up short - a la harley so far). so he needs to find new ones. how can anyone want him out? i also can't see what BDB offers - but i wasn't one the premier league's top midfielders for several years so i may not know quite as much as him.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
If Gus gets through this season and we are ok he will go on to take us forward and challenge at the top of this league as he will have a squad with better players after January and the Summer, better suited to the style of football he wants to play in the championship.

The worry is his stubbornness may also be his downfall, this is a tough division and all teams are capable of putting runs together which would put us in danger if our form continues.

As I have mentioned before this half of the season will define Poyets career at the club. Personally I hope he gets through it as I like his ethos

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I'm surprised people are happy to see us go down without sacking poyet, I very much doubt it's what bloom has planned, and I would expect him to take steps before then if it looks likely.

I can only assume you are about 18 or not much older and know very little of what it takes in the real world? Can you not see what this club is setting up for the future with the training ground and building from the ground up.

Happy New Year everyone.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It seems that in the light of day the mongtardos have quietened and the 100IQ+ers have emerged to show that generally we're in full support of the gusbus even with it's sometime punctures and unoiled retractable ramp system. These faults are mendable and i can imagine no one else in charge for a good long while. We just need to thank the driver for where we are on occasion, no longer precariously hovering on the cliff-edge and instead ogling blissfully a fulsome horizon with all of its possibilities to flower.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here