Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gus safe?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Every manager we ever had, and every other team ever had, has always said the exact same thing.

'If only they'd given me more time...' :yawn:

It might be true in a small number of cases, but that's not how life is.

There was no way we would get the same success as last season without serious investment which has started and will carry on.

We will get there in the end

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Gus made an epic mistake letting Bennett go for peanuts and Murray for free. Then signed Harley and Barndoor. Am i wrong to question him? I don't think he should go now. I am just saying I don't think he is untouchable like some seem to think.

Every manager makes mistakes - just look at some of the shite fergie has signed over the years. I agree that Gus has made mistakes, but you can't just sack managers for every mistake or bad patch. That is just stupid

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Gus made an epic mistake letting Bennett go for peanuts and Murray for free. Then signed Harley and Barndoor. Am i wrong to question him? I don't think he should go now. I am just saying I don't think he is untouchable like some seem to think.

He is to some on here, just the same way CMS is!
Some of these rose tinted albion fans wont have it that their beloved stars could possibly be up for criticism. Thats just the way it is!

If he signs Barn door in the new year he will have nailed his own coffin!

D

Deleted member 2719

If i was Bloom i would not give Gus a penny in Jan as long as he feels we won't go down as the only thing i have seen recently from the Gus school of good management is that we come out fired up after half time............but then this could be Oatway. I do still trust Gus but he must be seen to change things tactically sometimes when things obviously are not working.i am sure fans will be more tolerant if he is seen to be trying new things.That is why i always thought Wilkins had legs as a manager because he would not be scared to change things.

Come on Gus time to show us your a proper manager.(ps i expect nothing from Southampton giving our form and our weakened team) no pressure from the fixture Gus can only win.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We have finished the year in the highest league position for 21 years...............and still they whine.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Let's stop all this f***ing rubbish right now

We have a team that plays attractive football, but is hampered by massive injury list and are obviously struggling and we need to get behind them instead of constantly slagging the manager off.

So who do you people want ...Russell f***ing slade,

As I said previously get a bloody grip . We are in a very difficult league with teams that have been playing in this division or the premiership for bloody ages and we have Ben playing in the arse end of the third and fourth division for bloody ages....what the f*** do you expect.

We hope we will stay in this division this season....that will be a triumph and all this talk about premiership eas always a pipe dream

I agree with you Dave. The only thing is that this is a much tougher division than it used to be, being full of ex-Premiership sides. I think the onus is on Bloom to fully back the manager financially (and I'm not saying he isn't - I've no idea on the state of the finances, but if he is insisting on a strict wage structure that can't be helping). Yes, people will say he's spent £80 million of his own money on the stadium, and is going to spend £15 million on the academy. Sure, but if you build a factory, you make sure you equip it properly, both in the short and long term. Where Gus is concerned, I am not moaning, but I think he does need to be a bit more adaptable with style. I can't see him wanting the side to go 1-0 up and then shutting the shop as West Ham did against us, but it was clearly effective. Who cares if it wasn't very attractive? It got them 3 points as (to a certain extent) it did us at Derby. Also, and I am not saying I'd want McGhee back, but he got us our highest finish for 14 years and still got throughly slated on here. Surely it is fair enough to give a manager who has had far greater resources a bit of constructive criticism.

Player-wise I think we are really missing the two who went to Norwich, possibly Crofts more so. We were very fortunate that Bridcutt and Bennett combined covered up for his departure, but his leadership was clearly missing at times and is even more so now. Added to losing Murray and having no effective support for CMS.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

We have finished the year in the highest league position for 21 years...............and still they whine.

So if the ship has a hole in it and it's starting to sink do you fill the hole? or do you just wait and hope the hole get's plugged naturally?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Was Bennett not a gentlemans agreement with bloom that if he stayed for second half of season he could leave for release fee in his contract in the summer?

Sure I read this somewhere

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
He's been pretty unlucky with injuries and suspensions this season. Hoskins and Buckley were two of his big three signings and they've started one game between them. However, he's looked outof his depth tactically at times. Has he set the Championship alight? No. Does he deserve to go? Absolutely not. Patience is the order of the day.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Not read all the posts..........

If i was Bloom Gus could take us down and he would still be manager....

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
He's been pretty unlucky with injuries and suspensions this season. Hoskins and Buckley were two of his big three signings and they've started one game between them. However, he's looked outof his depth tactically at times. Has he set the Championship alight? No. Does he deserve to go? Absolutely not. Patience is the order of the day.

Maybe...but suppose the worse happens and we stick with Gus and end up getting relegated? What then? Do we give him the opportunity to take us up again knowing how tactically naive he is at Championship level? I sincerely hope this doesn't happen and I wish Gus well but I am growing increasingly worried by some of what is happening at the club.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Whats really annoying is seeing Peterborough above us. We signed their folk hero and they have spent bugger all.

You have to say Fergie Junior as done very well this season.

5 Year contract for Poyet will either be inspired or very naive.

In my mind if Poyet left because we were doing well we would have found it easy to attract a good manager now if he turns out not to be as good as first thought it will be a very expensive decision for Bloom to make and one which may stop him acting when he should.

January will be interesting and very important, this is a tough decision and our form will need to improve in the coming months as all the teams in the bottom half are capable of picking up points.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I know i will get panned for this and really don't care but i think gus has lost the plot. Tactically he is inept in this league. I appreciate what he has done but he can't just keep his job because he had a good season with us last year. His passing game got found out about 3 months ago, His Suarez comments, his constant moaning about refs, his ego. All this "In Gus we Trust" drives me insane. We need changes drastically not just on the playing side. That is all, happy new year to you all :moo:

Gus is far from safe he is mental that is why we love him

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Let's just hope the Chairman and players love him too?

Chairman and MANAGER/vice versa....single most important relationship at the club,Players have to believe too..........OR WITH THE CHAIRMANS BACKING,THE'RE OUT!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here