Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gus safe?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Has Gus found that tightrope that Russell Slade left behind ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Absolutely he is safe. Tony was surprisingly loyal to slade, who by all accounts he was against hiring in the first place. Since Poyet is his choice, I expect him to be even more loyal. He and Gus also talk of long term plans. He specifically mentioned promotion last year, but I don't believe he has said the same for this year (though I assume it is an ultimate goal and he would be happy to be promoted whenever it comes even if it is "too soon").

Barring relegation, I think Tony is behind gus for the whole season, the next. As he should be.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
You lot don't deserve someone of his quality. Bunch of Fuckwits the lot of you. If you fail to see how he reshaped the club from top to bottom, you are idiots. By all means question some recent results but if you think him leaving is the answer then you know NOTHING about football.

Give me one name of someone who would do better

Well said

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He may be pushed before he walks. Are you happy with the way things are going?

He won't, we are still very much a team in progress and several gambles on players has failed.

These will be resolved in January

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
I wouldn't trust Gus to buy a sandwich let alone spend £M more in the January transfer window.

Funny as we were all getting excited by the players GUS had signed at the start of the season and don't remember any one complaining then.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Gus is who he is.

Last season was without a shadow of a doubt the best football I've ever seen played from any BHA side in the last 37 years, which is my history.

I fully appreciate that was last year and not now, and I'm just as disappointed with the way that things are currently going.

However, to call Gus's position now is bloody ridiculous.

Definitely this

however I do believe it is his refusal to adapt or admit when he might be wrong that fuels the fire for people like the OP

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
He may be pushed before he walks. Are you happy with the way things are going?

Of course no one is happy but to suggest poyet should go is stupid. Like throwing your rattle out of the pram when things arent going to plan. We need a season in the championship and replace the league one standard players. Did you think we were going to win the league?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Never ceases to amaze me how daft some of our fans are. So we're mid table - that's abou right. Gus is not showing perfect judgement in most of our eyes, but does anyone cry Fergie out when his goalie makes a blunder (today?) or when he signs a dog (which he does at times). We can all see Harley is a mistake and Gus will come round. We all just need to be realistic and patient.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I`ve nothing against the way Gus likes to play the game but he doesn`t have the quality of player to do it in this division. He wants us to control 60% of the game and play like a top Spanish team but with Harley, Navarrow and Sparrow running our midfield ? They are all good league 1 players who might get by in this division but never good enough to dominate possession like Gus wants.
It is only disappointing because we spent so much on our attack in the close season and didn`t bring any quality into that dept and now our front men look toothless. `ve no doubt we will stagger through to next summer and stay up ok but I`m sure everyone realises that we need quite a few good signings then.
This time next year Gus will be judged I reckon .........one way or the other.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
NSC plummets to new depths with this thread. His win percentage is miles ahead of anyone post-war and yet people are getting on his back after four consecutive defeats. I'm not saying his perfect, his made mistakes like most other young managers but he will turn this around we just need to remain patient and wait for our injury/suspension crisis to end.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
NSC plummets to new depths with this thread. His win percentage is miles ahead of anyone post-war and yet people are getting on his back after four consecutive defeats. I'm not saying his perfect, his made mistakes like most other young managers but he will turn this around we just need to remain patient and wait for our injury/suspension crisis to end.

Which one was with 9 men and we all applauded the team off. But we can remind the selected few of thier comments in the months to come.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
This period is very frustrating but I wouldn't dream of trading Gus in yet. He has a definite style of play and, let's face it, last year we adored it. Much as we hoped for better, it turns out that this squad of players isn't capable of sustaining Gus's game at this level. There is no way that Gus will change his style so personnel changes will have to happen to remedy matters. As has already been said, it is a work in progress and I am happy enough with that. This season I was always content to simply stay up and I still feel that this will happen. The acid test will be what happens next season after another close season of transfer activity.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
We just need to stay up which we will acheive easily but it will be a roller coaster as half of the team are not championship class

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
I'm just depressed ... f*** knows where we go from here ... thankfully I think there are 3 worse sides than us in this div ... starting to look forward to next season

I thought the same until todays result, never even thought we would lose to Coventry :-(

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Gus made an epic mistake letting Bennett go for peanuts and Murray for free. Then signed Harley and Barndoor. Am i wrong to question him? I don't think he should go now. I am just saying I don't think he is untouchable like some seem to think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here