Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Charlie past his sell by date?

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
LANGDON SEAGULL said:
So what you are saying is that a legend is someone who cracks a few jokes in the dressing room? That also makes Phl Stant a legend.

Absolute twaddle :dunce:

To compare Charlie Oatway, a long-time servant of the club to a player who was on our books for a couple of weeks is totally laughable.

This thread has become a joke with ridiculous comments like that:jester:

Pavilionaire said:
The fact that Nicolas cannot do enough to leap above Charlie in the pecking order worries me slightly, in case we get midfield injuries.

Exactly. To believe that Charlie is not worth his place in the team, you have to believe that Nicolas is shit, or make up stuff like Kinky does that he doesn't want to play for Albion any more :dunce:

The sad predictment that the Oatway scapegoaters find themselves in is that they also have to be Nicolas scapegoaters too. Feel free lads :lolol:

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
227 BHA said:
Absolute twaddle :dunce:

To compare Charlie Oatway, a long-time servant of the club to a player who was on our books for a couple of weeks is totally laughable.

I was merely comparing the fact that Phil Stant was brought in to bolster team spirit and liven up the dressing room at a tense time of the season, which seems to be Oatway's main attributes. The length of time Stant was here is irrelevant to the arguement. Read the full picture before commenting next time.

Must go, off to watch Oatway's hilarious DVD introductions . My sides split when he says Dean White eats KFC for the hundredth time.

Why not instead watch the DVD of our promotion season 2003/4 and our survival season 2004/5 and see who was a near-permanent feature of our midfield then? :)

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
bhaexpress said:
You could argue that any player who's played in three divisions with us and has seen three promotions is a legend. I think only Charlie, Kerry and Chippy can say that. I might have missed somebody I know.

Think we could add FDM and OGH to that ... but agree with what you say

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
seagullsovergrimsby said:
There has only been two real legends at the club over the last 30 years - wardy and bobby z. Other players who have been superb for us only merit being in the BHA hall of fame whereas wardy and bobby z are godlike.

If we use that criteria and stretch it to 35 years ... then Kit Napier was the god!

caz

Aug 10, 2005
i think your are wrong ,all needs nicholas is a run of games and he will back to his best . dont forget he had a lot of good games

caz said:
dont forget he had a lot of good games

Don't worry, most people haven't - Nicolas will get his chance :)

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
brightonfan_86 said:
Alexis didn't look match fit

I agree and he struggled to get to the pace of the game ... but as I said initially Charlie was out of his depth and as others have said he gave away the ball far too often (I counted three occasions when his slack passing provided Burnley with goalscoring opportunities) and the simple fact is he DIDN'T win the tackles. he tackled hard, but too often the other side collected the ball.

If Nicolas was match sharp (rather than just fit) I am sure he would have been a better cover option for Hammond

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
London Irish said:
Why not instead watch the DVD of our promotion season 2003/4 and our survival season 2004/5 and see who was a near-permanent feature of our midfield then? :)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said LI. it sickens me when posters like Langdon Seagull slag off an Albion player like Charlie. Not only is his footballing ability critisised but to start taking the piss out of things like DVD introductions is a bit pathetic

I think almost everyone on here is in agreement that he is not really 1st choice 1st team material anymore but to start slagging off dedicated servants of the club is well out of order:angry:

caz

Aug 10, 2005
On the Left Wing said:
I agree and he struggled to get to the pace of the game ... but as I said initially Charlie was out of his depth and as others have said he gave away the ball far too often (I counted three occasions when his slack passing provided Burnley with goalscoring opportunities) and the simple fact is he DIDN'T win the tackles. he tackled hard, but too often the other side collected the ball.

If Nicolas was match sharp (rather than just fit) I am sure he would have been a better cover option for Hammond

i think you are right if he becomes match sharp i think it should be niholas and hammond in the midfeld

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
227 BHA said:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said LI. it sickens me when posters like Langdon Seagull slag off an Albion player like Charlie. Not only is his footballing ability critisised but to start taking the piss out of things like DVD introductions is a bit pathetic

I think almost everyone on here is in agreement that he is not really 1st choice 1st team material anymore but to start slagging off dedicated servants of the club is well out of order:angry:

Get off your high horse. Im entitled to my opinion, I dont rate him as a player and I dont find his infantile humour funny. Simple as. Live with it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:

amd then see where most the play of brightons attacks where slowed down

KinkyGoebels said:
amd then see where most the play of brightons attacks where slowed down

...and see how I won £10 off Kinky who predicted we would go down if Charlie played :drink: :drink: :drink:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:

This may well be so but we are now talking about the present and the future not the past or we could get Gary Stevens back and Chris Catlin or even Norman Gall who was a corner stone of our defence.

The sad reality is that CO is no longer the dominant player that controlled the midfield in our promotions years so yes he is past his sell by date but still has a limited amount to offer us.

BensGrandad said:
This may well be so but we are now talking about the present and the future not the past or we could get Gary Stevens back and Chris Catlin or even Norman Gall who was a corner stone of our defence.

The sad reality is that CO is no longer the dominant player that controlled the midfield in our promotions years so yes he is past his sell by date but still has a limited amount to offer us.

A DVD covering games four months ago is living in the past? :lolol:

Shame on you, BG, most good judges reckoned Charlie's finest year with us was the past season, not the promotion ones.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He must be worth at least six points a season for improving morale in the dressing room.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that at this level we are in a position where we are unable to accomodate both Chippy and Charlie and sadly for Charlie Chippy wins the battle for me although he started the season rather slowly.

I think on a grander scale Svena has a similar problem with Gerrard and Lampard and for me Lampard wins.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
dougdeep said:
He must be worth at least six points a season for improving morale in the dressing room.

Exactly. It's a well known fact the famed team spirit has a great deal to do with Charlie.

and no, he's not past his sell-by date, some games will suit his style, others wont.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Ah the old Oatway debate, been a while on this one and I am sure LI and myself will disagree but here goes.

I think Oatway is a limited player, but when he plays within those limitations he can be effective. Where the issue arises is when he tries to be too clever then he looks poor. But last season sitting in front of the back 4 and breaking play up he at times looked good. He surprised me for most of last season as I thought he was going to be well out of his depth as he was last time we were in this division, but he played out of his skin, unti his sending off at Leeds and earnt the plaudits.

He struggled at the beginning of this season and was rightly dropped and yesterday looked rusty and to be honest struggling with form. Now if he offers something as people say in the dressing room, then surely we should be getting him on all the relevant coaching courses and moving him sideways and only playing when needed? Hammond offers something different to Oatway and we missed a player that could get from box to box yesterday.

New people calling him a legend, really. But then I guess some Brighton fans seem to rate Le Supermarche Chariot which says a lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here