Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Charlie past his sell by date?

dave the gaffer said:
LI

You going to the anti-BNP meeting tomorrow night?

Sadly no, but have a good look around - all those clapped out old lefties you'll see there are my Brighton mates, so behave!

I'm off to an Irish wedding in Malta in a few hours, just need a bracing walk along the sea front to put me in the right mood!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Ah, the old "McGhee is a flakey manager" get-out clause. Always handy, innit?

So to recap, we've now discovered that the NSC Charlie scapegoater HAS to believe at least 3 fanciful things:

1) That Oatway is not worth his place in the squad
2) That players he keeps out like Nicolas are rubbish too
and 3) McGhee is a flakey judge of player talent and form.

Go for it guys, your credibility is becoming ever more streched! :lolol:

Sorry you lost me there. A few people saying Oatway is struggling a bit and you go defensive, not good for an open discussion is it Steve.

My McGhee comment was tongue in cheek, he has been pretty consistent with his selections this season and other than the full back area, players have generally not been asked to play in odd positions.

Regarding Nicolas, sadly he looks to be stagnating a tad with us, which is sad as this time last year he looked a real prospect. It is also a worry if this is the case, as Oatway does not look as competant as he did last season, as when we get a midfield injury we are struggling.

Rougvie said:
I'm surprised some clown hasn't sugested we give him a testimonial, but then to QUALIFY for one of those these days, you have to have spent the last 3 years warming the BENCH, as well as being decidedly AVERAGE.

Oi - this is an Oatway scapegoating thread, not a Mayo scapegoating one, c'mon, stay focused :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Uncle Buck said:
Sorry you lost me there. A few people saying Oatway is struggling a bit and you go defensive, not good for an open discussion is it Steve.

My McGhee comment was tongue in cheek, he has been pretty consistent with his selections this season and other than the full back area, players have generally not been asked to play in odd positions.

Regarding Nicolas, sadly he looks to be stagnating a tad with us, which is sad as this time last year he looked a real prospect. It is also a worry if this is the case, as Oatway does not look as competant as he did last season, as when we get a midfield injury we are struggling.

OK, if both Oatway and Nicolas are struggling for form, as you suggested, Reid will be moved into midfield, then? Or will McGhee get that wrong too? :)

The simpler explanation is that your premise is flawed I'm afraid, rather than McGhee making selection error after selection error.

I think it's interesting that people who were jumping up and down on NSC last season about players being played out of position now seem strangely calm about that, even though 20 per cent of the current team is being regularly played outside of their normal positions, if you take the average of the last 5 games.

Is it the case Bucky you don't mind players being played out of position in defensive roles too much but you get more vexed if that happens in midfield or attack?

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
OK, if both Oatway and Nicolas are struggling for form, as you suggested, Reid will be moved into midfield, then? Or will McGhee get that wrong too? :)

The simpler explanation is that your premise is flawed I'm afraid, rather than McGhee making selection error after selection error.

I think it's interesting that people who were jumping up and down on NSC last season about players being played out of position now seem strangely calm about that, even though 20 per cent of the current team is being regularly played outside of their normal positions, if you take the average of the last 5 games.

Is it the case Bucky you don't mind players being played out of position in defensive roles too much but you get more vexed if that happens in midfield or attack?

20%? On Saturday I would say that Reid was the only that you could argue was not playing in his preferred position but the fact he has played the best part of 12 months at full back would suggest that he is probably now classed as a full back rather than a midfielder.

In seriousness, full back is the one position where you can stick a midfielder there and get away with it, as long as they can hold the line, have some idea about marking and make the odd tackle. Where in the past we have come unstuck is putting players in central midfield when it is not their natural position.

If you are saying that Oatway and Nicolas are not struggling for form then you are watching a different game from a lot of others. The key is if they can work through this lull and find their feet again. Carpenter started the season poorly, but in the last few games has looked OK again.

Sadly I notice you are hiding behind another of your favourite get out of jail cards in that you trust McGhee's judgement, rather than debating points that you might be wrong on.

Anyway enjoy Malta, the beer and seaford is fantastic. I am off to have a stroll along the seafront and then a skillful of ale.

Uncle Buck said:
20%? On Saturday I would say that Reid was the only that

Which is why I said the average of the last five game Bucky, take care to read what people say!

Still, I'm relieved you think McGhee's positional switch of Reid has worked. Hopefully that will make you more open-minded when McGhee tries other positional switches :)

Thanks for your good wishes for Malta, obviously I'll be surfing in from there to guage how well Charlie is doing from your balanced reviews of the Leicester and Norwich games :)

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
LI

I almost always respect your views and more importantly your integrity (I am sober!!! :lolol: )

But wonder if you were at Burnley on Saturday and witnessed the embarrassing display by CO. Too often his poor judgement, rasping miss-timed tackles and wayward passing allowed good build up play by Reid, Chippy, Jarret, Leon (indeed the rest of the team) to breakdown and - as I posted earlier - allow Burnley direct goal attempts. He struggled to keep to the pace of the game, seemed unable to bridge between Butters, McShane and the rest and to be perfectly frank played like a player two divisions abaove his ability.

I have only seen the Albion 4 times this season (Hull, Leeds Preston and Burnley) and on the two occasions Oatway has played he has been lacking. I believe Nicolas - if match sharp - would be a better understudy to Hammond than Charlie. None of my comments are seeking a scapegoat (after all we got a creditable draw) but observing a player whom I believe is now past his sell-by date.

NB I cannot answer for Andy Naylor, nor whether he was even at the same game!
:p

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I wonder how many other Championship teams would start a game with Charlie if they had a choice? And I wonder how many would sign him if he was available on a free transfer? Sadly, not many I suspect although I don't doubt his commitment to the club and his love of all things blue and white. The fact remains, however, that we can and should have something better to offer if we are to progress in the Championship.

:wave: :wave:

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Zebedee said:
The fact remains, however, that we can and should have something better to offer.

:wave: :wave:

I think the fact remains that we do not have the financial resources to back up that statement and can only resort to squeezing as much out of the crop of players we have until we are able to uncover more finds like Carole.

They all have a role to play even if it is only cover for injured players who are ahead in the pecking order for first choice.

Beggars can't be choosers and all that but hopefully things will go our way soon that may change that.

On the Left Wing said:
But wonder if you were at Burnley on Saturday and witnessed the embarrassing display by CO. Too often his poor judgement, rasping miss-timed tackles and wayward passing allowed good build up play by Reid, Chippy, Jarret, Leon (indeed the rest of the team) to breakdown and - as I posted earlier - allow Burnley direct goal attempts.

I wasn't at Burnley but I know from my regular away trips that certain players like Oatway and Mayo get barracked far, far more by a sizable minority of our support for the same mistakes committed by other players of ours. When certain players become such obvious targets for scapegoaters, experience has taught me to trust the evidence of my own eyes rather than excitable NSC threads. Sorry about that :)

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
McGhee plays Oatway for his competivness, graft and agression.

Oatway does his best, but he is falling down the pecking order and his days are numbered. Play often passes him by as he does not seem to read the game as well as others.

We have better players in Chippy, Hammond and Nicholas.

He is a decent reserve these days

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
London Irish said:
I wasn't at Burnley but I know from my regular away trips that certain players like Oatway and Mayo get barracked far, far more by a sizable minority of our support for the same mistakes committed by other players of ours. When certain players become such obvious targets for scapegoaters, experience has taught me to trust the evidence of my own eyes rather than excitable NSC threads. Sorry about that :)

I have always been a fan of Mayo - think he is under-rated by many Albion fans and although he has lost a bit of pace still rate him as our best bet at left-back (I even rated him above Harding last season). He struggled through the Coppell and Peter Taylor years and came out the other side as a Div 3 player who had really progressed the ladder to a solid Div 1 stalwart (in the same mouled as Cullip, Chippy and Co)

He did a good job on Saturday and was unlucky to give away the penalty as their guy was all over him second before.

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
London Irish said:

But, in the case of Oatway, this is because he makes more of them!

bellsize seagull

Mar 1, 2004
north london
Sorry to say but he is past it playing wise, a legend in himself and should think about doing his coaching badges cause he has alot to offer the youngsters.....it's not nice to watch and feel yourself getting upset and shouting at someone who has done so much for your club, but against Burnley i was cringing one moment he was just running to get back into the penalty area and not marking anyone....chippy plays so much better when with Hammond who has become a quality player it seems overnight, his touch has improved so much.
Also think Kerry needs a rethink too, HArty has been a revelation at right back with Reid right, we have quality in our fist eleven and also a few in reserve such as frutos. :clap2:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Thought I would bounce this thread, which was started after the Burnley match.

I didn't see either the Leicester City or Norwich games, but it seems that Charlie is not just having an odd poor game, but is simply not up to it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes!... was never gonna be a star at this level... obvious to anyone with an ounce of sense...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here