Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Charlie past his sell by date?

Uncle Buck said:
Ah the old Oatway debate, been a while on this one and I am sure LI and myself will disagree but here goes.

I think Oatway is a limited player, but when he plays within those limitations he can be effective. Where the issue arises is when he tries to be too clever then he looks poor. But last season sitting in front of the back 4 and breaking play up he at times looked good. He surprised me for most of last season as I thought he was going to be well out of his depth as he was last time we were in this division, but he played out of his skin, unti his sending off at Leeds and earnt the plaudits.

He struggled at the beginning of this season and was rightly dropped and yesterday looked rusty and to be honest struggling with form. Now if he offers something as people say in the dressing room, then surely we should be getting him on all the relevant coaching courses and moving him sideways and only playing when needed? Hammond offers something different to Oatway and we missed a player that could get from box to box yesterday.

New people calling him a legend, really. But then I guess some Brighton fans seem to rate Le Supermarche Chariot which says a lot.

Well some reasonable, balanced comments from you on Charlie at last, but nice to see you go all irrational again with your finishing flourish on Big Mac, I predict one day you will also see his strengths too :D

What you say about Oatway playing within his limitations doesn't quite explain his successful season last year though, I thought he expanded his game a lot last season from just being a defensive stopper, and that's why he picked up the plaudits, particularly with his passing into the front men and into the channels. And he had some fine games after the Leeds sending off, the one at home to Leicester in the final run-in springs to mind where he was probably our most influential player.

While he didn't have a good game at Hull early this season certainly, I don't think there is a lot of evidence that his form has gone downhill since last season - all that has happened is that we've signed very classy new midfielders like Carole and others have taken big steps forward (Hammond, Jarrett) and that is why he is now not a definite starter.

If Oatway's form had got poorer, he wouldn't be keeping Nicolas out. McGhee has no favourites, the players are playing both for their livelihoods and McGhee's managerial reputation in this league. The margin for error is tiny, McGhee would not stick with players out of sentiment, only if he believes they will do a job for him.

Last edited:

E

enigma

Oatway has been a great servant to the club and gives 100% in every match. He's clearly respected by the player and seems to have good leadership traits. Some of you lot really are unkind and ungrateful about the bloke. While you may not appreciate his qualities as a player, the bloke is an Albion legend in my mind.

Stumpy Tim

Whether Charlie is up to this standard or not, I would keep him at the club in some form. He loves the place, makes the place tick, and is doing his coaching badges right now. He's also very good with the fans & at times is worth a place on the pitch - when the game suits his agricultural style!

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
I'm not one of the Oatway bashers, but I thought he was poor on Saturday.

However, when Nicolas came on I also thought he was poor.

On a plus side, it's great every time Carole gets the ball - whenever he has it I feel that we're going to create a goalscoring chance. For me he is the best signing of the summer.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Stumpy Tim said:
Whether Charlie is up to this standard or not, I would keep him at the club in some form. He loves the place, makes the place tick, and is doing his coaching badges right now. He's also very good with the fans & at times is worth a place on the pitch - when the game suits his agricultural style!

Very good comment - in the same way that Paul Rogers, Booker, Wilkins and Co have all stayed on, because they are part of the Albion furniture and have loads to offer.

My comments about CO are about his abilities as a footballing midfielder this season in the Championship when we have so many others to choose from, when fit. He was VERY POOR against Burnley (indeed everyone I spoke to during and afte rthe match agreed), which is why this debate started.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Highfields Seagull said:
On a plus side, it's great every time Carole gets the ball - whenever he has it I feel that we're going to create a goalscoring chance. For me he is the best signing of the summer.

I agree ... I think he, Jarret and Fruto all provide superb options, which we missed last season (and indeed since we sold Zamora and Brooker)

I see Andy Naylor awarded Charlie a mark of 7 today in his match review - amazing really given that apparently every Albion fan there (according to the NSC legion of Charlie fans on here of course) thought he was terrible. :lol:

Hope the scapegoaters also can make it to Leicester tomorrow as it looks like he'll keep his place due to Chippy's injury :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Uncle Buck said:
For all we know with Hart back, Reid and Hammond could be the central midfield pairing.

Oooh, oooh, it grates, doesn't it? :lolol:

McGhee said Charlie was "terrific" on Saturday :)

It's a squad game these days, Uncle Buck, the days are long gone when you put roughly the same 11 out for 46 games, and Charlie is playing his full part in that.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Oooh, oooh, it grates, doesn't it? :lolol:

McGhee said Charlie was "terrific" on Saturday :)

It's a squad game these days, Uncle Buck, and Charlie is playing his part in that.

On Saturday Oatway looked off the pace and too many times his 2 or 3 touches to get the ball under control slowed our game down.

But luckily he is only a squad player at present.

Uncle Buck said:
On Saturday Oatway looked off the pace and too many times his 2 or 3 touches to get the ball under control slowed our game down.

But luckily he is only a squad player at present.

Well, if Charlie played that poorly, McGhee surely won't pick him as Chippy's injury replacement tomorrow night then, will he? :)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
LI

You going to the anti-BNP meeting tomorrow night?

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Oatway was only ever good enough for the lowest division, League 2, Div 3 or Div 4 whatever you want to call it. FACT!

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I'm surprised some clown hasn't sugested we give him a testimonial, but then to QUALIFY for one of those these days, you have to have spent the last 3 years warming the BENCH, as well as being decidedly AVERAGE.

Uncle Buck said:
When it comes to Mr McGhee and selections, anything is possible. So far this season they have been sensisble, mainly with players in positions, so he must be itching to do something odd....

Ah, the old "McGhee is a flakey manager" get-out clause. Always handy, innit?

So to recap, we've now discovered that the NSC Charlie scapegoater HAS to believe at least 3 fanciful things:

1) That Oatway is not worth his place in the squad
2) That players he keeps out like Nicolas are rubbish too
and 3) McGhee is a flakey judge of player talent and form.

Go for it guys, your credibility is becoming ever more streched! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here