Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Charlie past his sell by date?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If you are talking about legends then it has to include the players that took us from the third to first division back in the seventies, or those who got us to the Cup Final, sureley some of the players who have been with us over the past few seasons deserve to be included in that category.

For me legends are players like: Ward, Mellor, O'Sullivan, Steele, Maybank and Poskett. Since then we have had quite a few others who deserve to be mentioned in the same breath, perhaps the likes of: Robinson, Foster, Beeney, Kuijpers, Cullip and Zamora.

Would I include Charlie, maybe, maybe not, only if I was considering players like Chippy, Kerry or Keeley, all players who gave a lot to the club at different times.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There has only been two real legends at the club over the last 30 years - wardy and bobby z. Other players who have been superb for us only merit being in the BHA hall of fame whereas wardy and bobby z are godlike.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Charlie has been a modern day legend for me.

He has been instrumental in instilling the dressing room camaraderie that won us three promotions and two championsip trophies.

An absolute asset to this football club in recent years and shame on anybody who says otherwise:censored:

Having said that though, the team has moved forward and a starting place is a little too much for Charlie right now at this level but always worth a place on the bench.

Dean Hammond must be the first midfielder on the teamsheet followed by Chippie. I would then opt for Nicholas or Knight ahead of Charlie sadly:(

Theres noone I'd rather bring on for the last few minutes though when defending a slender 1-0 - give Charlie the ball and send him to the corner flag to waste some injury time :lolol:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
seagullsovergrimsby said:
There has only been two real legends at the club over the last 30 years - wardy and bobby z. Other players who have been superb for us only merit being in the BHA hall of fame whereas wardy and bobby z are godlike.

Hmm, I dont see Bobby as a legend, yeah he scored a few goals but in my mind isnt in the top 5 of Brighton strikers and considering that he wasnt an integeral part of the dressing room (unlike Chaz) he doesnt make it in my mind.

My top 5 legends are

Peter Ward
Ian Chapman
Charlie Oatway
Steve Foster
John Crumplin

These are in no particular order and you can see by the players that is isnt all about goals scored or indeed how good you are.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's also the serious option when Dodd returns of his right back, Mayo left back and Reid back in midfield.

I think Charlie should have left in the summer, he could have gone to someone like Orient, Southend, Bournemouth maybe Gillingham with his head held high. Instead we have this situation where he is out of his depth in the Championship and not doing the team or his reputation any good. People are slagging him off when, at this stage in his career, he doesn't need it.

As has been pointed out Nicolas is a like for like replacement, we don't need both of them.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
227 BHA said:
Charlie has been a modern day legend for me.

He has been instrumental in instilling the dressing room camaraderie that won us three promotions and two championsip trophies.

An absolute asset to this football club in recent years and shame on anybody who says otherwise:censored:

Having said that though, the team has moved forward and a starting place is a little too much for Charlie right now at this level but always worth a place on the bench.

Dean Hammond must be the first midfielder on the teamsheet followed by Chippie. I would then opt for Nicholas or Knight ahead of Charlie sadly:(

Theres noone I'd rather bring on for the last few minutes though when defending a slender 1-0 - give Charlie the ball and send him to the corner flag to waste some injury time :lolol:

So what you are saying is that a legend is someone who cracks a few jokes in the dressing room? That also makes Phl Stant a legend.

A legend to me is someone who has almost single handedly taken the club to a higher level thorough his performances over a number of years. Peter Ward, Zamora, yes, even Steve Foster, but Oatway, a midlfielder way past his sell by date. Peter Taylor discovered that three years ago. The word legend is way over used IMHO.

bhaexpress said:
Damn this is getting so old. If we don't win a game that we're supposed to somebody always has to be a scapegoat. Last week it was McShane for example. Usually it's Charlie or a goal keeper or Leon for missing a sitter.

Get with the program, we have to make do with what we've got.

It's impossible for this website to discuss Albion games without knifing their favourite scapegoat, and of course Charlie has been up there in thar role for a few years now regardless of how well he plays. The fact that he still has something to offer in this division is shown by McGhee's continued preference for him over a technically accomplished player like Nicolas.

And as for our midfields being a bit porous at the moment, that's been the case for the last 5 games with the new style we are playing, never more so when Coventry dominated us in midfield last week, yet oddly enough very few after that game questioned the players' ability to contribute in this division. But where Oatway is concerned, there will always be double standards :)

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
London Irish said:
It's impossible for this website to discuss Albion games without knifing their favourite scapegoat, and of course Charlie has been up there in thar role for a few years now regardless of how well he plays. The fact that he still has something to offer in this division is shown by McGhee's continued preference for him over a technically accomplished player like Nicolas.

And as for our midfields being a bit porous at the moment, that's been the case for the last 5 games with the new style we are playing, never more so when Coventry dominated us in midfield last week, yet oddly enough very few after that game questioned the players' ability to contribute in this division. But where Oatway is concerned, there will always be double standards :)

LI you have to admit, he aint Championship standard he might not even be League one standard!

brightonfan_86 said:
LI you have to admit, he aint Championship standard he might not even be League one standard!

I don't have to admit anything of the kind. You have the guts to ask McGhee that question and I think you will get an education :)

brightonfan_86 said:
he was slow, gave the ball away to much and left spaces in the centre of midfield, what made Burnley centre midfielders run at the defence alot more.

And that differed from the Coventry game how? To honestly believe Charlie has nothing to offer, you must think Alexis is utterly useless. Neither is the case, of course.

brightonfan_86 said:
Alexis didn't look match fit, i think Oatway wouldn't of even been on the bench if Hammond wasn't ill.

I think you're starting to make things up now :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Regardless of what he has contributed before this season, Charlie now looks completely out of his depth.

McGhee will keep him in and around the squad because he is on a contract, he is a senior pro and he is one of the "characters" of the dressing room. However, these are factors based on history, not on his last few games which have been some of the most ineffectual of his Albion career.

The fact that Nicolas cannot do enough to leap above Charlie in the pecking order worries me slightly, in case we get midfield injuries.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
chez said:
Didnt think you were a new fan thats why i worded the sentence that way. What in your opinion constitutes a legend then? Who are "Albion Legends" in your book? Just out of interest.

Foster, Ward, Dean Saunders just because I LOVE the bloke, Perry Digweed purely for his hair! Dunno why but oatway just does'nt cut it in my term of a Legend.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Pavilionaire said:
Regardless of what he has contributed before this season, Charlie now looks completely out of his depth.

McGhee will keep him in and around the squad because he is on a contract, he is a senior pro and he is one of the "characters" of the dressing room. However, these are factors based on history, not on his last few games which have been some of the most ineffectual of his Albion career.

The fact that Nicolas cannot do enough to leap above Charlie in the pecking order worries me slightly, in case we get midfield injuries.

I dont think Nicolas gives a toss anymore to be honest

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here