• yes will get better

Votes: 91 44.0%
  • fence

Votes: 41 19.8%

• Total voters

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
You won't find a single post from me slagging off Harley but I am quite happy to comment when I see someone posting garbage purely for effect. You know what you posted was rubbish and demonstrably so but you posted anyway as you so often do (presumably) because it looked good and I'm guessing you get off on that. Coming the high and mighty "I say what I think" really doesn't wash and you just come across as another keyboard warrior in the mould of TCB and WW and their like, disrespected because what you say has no merit. You demonstrably change your opinions on the whim of a soundbite and it makes what you say valueless. Dare I say, deal with it...................

Are you going to Wrexham? I'll quite happily explain my opinions on Barnes in the flesh at the game.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I really feel for Barnes, maybe due to circumstances he plays out of position most weeks. I thought today he worked hard and had several good touches. Ok today his shooting was woeful however I really do feel as a striker he still has a role at the club.

Why after a fine win with a depleted squad do we feel a need to find fault when everyone made major contributions.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I was merely stating any player can score an nice strike. The goal on the YouTube vid is from the Cardiff game. Striker should score regularly or offer something else if not. Barnes does neither.

Erm Heskey, Cole, Zamoroa even dont score an huge amount of goals yet all are in or around top flight teams.

If Barnes is Shit then what does that say about the rest of the team Including CMS

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
That none of them are as shit as Barnes? :shrug:

Are you really suggesting he's our best player?

Pointing out that he has set up a number of goals this season and also is still out top scorer.

Im pointing out if his not championship quality then we dont have many players that are.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Pointing out that he has set up a number of goals this season and also is still out top scorer.

Im pointing out if his not championship quality then we dont have many players that are.

You can keep going on about 1-2 games all day long, but 1-2 good games a season do not qualify you as 'up to it' at championship level, we looked like Championship contenders versus Cardiff, but obvoiusly we arnt because that was just one game. Most of the squad is better than him, and those that are not generally are not getting much game time.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
I think Barnes was superb for us last year and did exceptionally well to rack up his 20 goals.

He started this season well enough, scoring a few goals and becoming much more accomplished in his hold-up play (the way he and CMS linked up in the second half against Leeds was sensational).

However, for the past three/four months he's looked out of sorts and he really hasn't appeared up to Championship level football. Even today, he looked anonymous for most of the game unfortunately.

I'm sure the majority of the 20,000-odd Albion supporters in the Amex don't feel he should be on the pitch most weeks and on current form, I probably agree.

However, he is still only 21 years old and it may just be that he's having a sticky patch. He showed he can do a job in The Championship earlier this season, he's just not doing the business at the moment. I'm not sure that being played out of position much of the time has helped Barnes either.

Gus must really think a lot of Barnes to persist with him, here's hoping that if he continues to do so, that he can get the best out of Barnes in the second half of this season.

So, in answer to the question... FENCE

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Good enough or not, we're Brighton supporters......we support, not f***ing undermine.

This poll is divisive.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Good enough or not, we're Brighton supporters......we support, not f***ing undermine.

This poll is divisive.

Indeed - the sole purpose of this thread and this poll is to massage egos - it has nothing whatsoever to do with football, still less supporting the team

He is only 18 months older than Grant Hall and people are saying that we shouldn't over expose Hall just in case it ruins his confidence/development, What about Barnes, is he not still learning?

He is only 22 lets give the guy a break, I thought he looked pretty good today.

Bhafc11

Nov 24, 2011
I don't understand how people can have such short memories. I presume if anyone criticise Barnes with vitriol and no balancing argument that they weren't a fan of the club last season. Opinions null and void.

That said, I think that Ash has struggled in this division unfortunately. It doesn't help he has been played as an ersatz winger so often, but it is in those pressure moments in front of goal where he has failed to hit the target that we have to do our judging. I don't feel like the club has time to bring his game to the level it needs. Maybe even a matter of confidence, but it looks to me like he should drop back down to L1 and be a top striker there, work on his game and maybe come back (even Craig Davies has done it!) after a season or two. Not necessarily to us of course, that's not how it works, but I wouldn't begrudge it! He was a sterling player for us last season and one of the reasons we were promoted.

This is exactly right! Scored plenty last season while playing UP FRONT. This season he has been playing out of position most games, still young and learning. CMS hasn't scored in 15 16 games and in games he has had the chances and he is playing up front (though he does work hard all over). If played up front in a 4-4-2 he'll play much better. Also he is still young!

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Last season Barnes was playing up front with Murray. This season Barnes is playing left inside forward with CMS (who wins nothing up front). He is short in confidence. He looks crap to us.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

This poll is divisive.
Sad post.

I dont think there are many at the ground that dont support him. You are correct, we are Brighton supporters and support the players.

Doesn't mean you can't come on a discussion board and discuss it if you think he's crap.

Otherwise whats the point of NSC. May as well call it North Stand Love In.

If anyone can look at Barnes in the last few games he's started and take any positives....... please share them with the rest of us

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Really? Do you really mean that? We have had a crippleing injury list the likes of most of us have never seen before, and we are two points of the play offs for the Premiership, and you dont think we have many players of Champship quailtiy

Without thinking, I'd say

CMS
Dunk
Greer
Tano
Bridcutt
JFC
Sparrow
Noone
Vincente
KLL
Hoskins
Buckley

are championship quaility. And at least a few more if I could be arsed to think

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Whole team played above average to well today yet all some see is Barnes hit a shot in the stands. !
Or twice try and do "something" with his back to goal and lose possesion (ala Wrexham), instead of just laying off the easy ball to a blue shirt. Or place the most ridiculous header late in the game on the edge of our box (which granted he made a great tackle to win back), or shoot towards the south stand in the first half and see the shot sliced about 6 yards up the touchline, or see at least two breakaways grind to a halt when he got the ball. Yer, I saw the shot he hit into the stands as well

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Doesn't take away the fact that he's first touch is poor and he wants to much time on the ball,these qualities won't come with time you either have them or you don't,still not good enough for this league.Please feel free to correct me at the end of the season or the next,i await with some humility.
I've been waiting to be corrected for a year now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here