Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipswich Sign Currie in £250k Deal

Roger Mellie

Sep 27, 2004
London SE1
Gutted!! Pants news, he is our best player by miles and really beginning to settle in and play well (apart from when put in centre). Good luck to him but shit that we couldn't hang on to him. Far rather see others leave..

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Turkey said:
I recall Knight getting very unhappy when he was asked to do this at Sheffield Wednesday?

Yeah me too but I don't think that will stop McGhee trying it to be honest :glare:

pevenseagull said:
I hope the medical doesn't include a sprint test

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I think Currie has been fantastic for us this season, but what an amazing piece of business for the club, quarter of a mill clear profit in the space of a few months. Congratulations to Knight and McGhee for pursuing him so doggedly when he was a free agent over the summer.

I really can't think of a better bit of business for Albion for absolute years given the fact we just missed out on offloading BZ at the height of his valuation.

I'm not at all panicked by this move - far from it - it could open up untold possibilities for us.

When I heard this news my mind went straight back to the interview that McGhee gave to SCR last Saturday, when he said that the Arse would only let us have Quincy if we definitely played him, and Quincy ONLY WANTS TO PLAY ON THE WING.

So we are now in an excellent position to try and close this loan deal now, because I would have said there was some doubt whether we could have played both Currie and Quincy in the same team.

The reason is Currie is a wonderful flair player but we've almost had to create a team around him because of his lack of defensive capacity.

We haven't been able to play Albert Jarrett becuase of that and have two non-tackling wingers in the team. Now Albert may get his chance if the Quincy deal doesn't come off.

And then people have mentioned Leon. Yes, Leon hates playing on the wing but the fact is he's done a fine job of it when he's done it for us this season. That's another option.

Currie's defensive problems also makes him a difficult fit in a 5-3-2 wingbacks system that McGhee might be leaning towards now. Currie looked a fish out of water in centre midfield last Saturday.

We'll never know, but I reckon against Millwall he would have suffered the same fate as at West Ham, dropped to make the system work.

If he's in that category, there was just no way that Dick Knight could have turned down this money.

Best of luck to Darren, we know his great strengths but we also know his weaknesses. I hope he's a big success at Ipswich because he's never given anything less than 100% for us.

But like him, we will now move on to bigger and better things with this money, I'm convinced of it.

Stumpy Tim

Great piece of business. The only thing that worries me is that his dead-balls were the source of so many of our goals. Chippy is good, but not in Currie's class. I hope we now see Quincy come on loan, and I fully expect McMannon (sp?) to arrive in the next week too.

Let's face facts, we couldn't refuse the offer. I believe Currie only had a one year contract so he would be negotiating with Ipswich in January anyway. I also imagine we get $250k now & then more if Ipswich get promoted.

As long as we get someone to replace him (even on loan for the season) then I think it's a good piece of business

cdavis said:
Play whatever formation you want.......the morale of the players on learning this news will evaporate......

I'm sure the reaction of the players will be very mixed. Like you, they will be very sorry to see him go. But they will also be delighted for Darren that he's been given this fantastic opportunity at a club who look set to be in the Premiership next season. This is not a big downer like Piercy/Blackwell/Rodger out of football or a Pitcher or a Pethick drifting off to non-league.

The players will probably take some reflected glory from Darren's big breakthrough. The players will see that playing for the Albion revives your career rather than hinders it. They will see that playing well for the Albion can give you great rewards and great opportunities. We are not some footballing backwater, playing well for the Albion puts you in the shop window of achieving great things with big clubs (which alas we are not yet :) but one day, one day...........)

All those factors will be big morale boosters for the players.

But I agree that the onus is now on Knight and McGhee to ensure that Darren's influence in the team is replaced, whether by new players or old.

Off to bed now trying not to dream about my fears that Claridge might be big-spending Harry Rednapp's first signing along the coast :ohmy:

:smokin:

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
London Irish said:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I think Currie has been fantastic for us this season, but what an amazing piece of business for the club, quarter of a mill clear profit in the space of a few months. Congratulations to Knight and McGhee for pursuing him so doggedly when he was a free agent over the summer.

I really can't think of a better bit of business for Albion for absolute years given the fact we just missed out on offloading BZ at the height of his valuation.

I'm not at all panicked by this move - far from it - it could open up untold possibilities for us.

When I heard this news my mind went straight back to the interview that McGhee gave to SCR last Saturday, when he said that the Arse would only let us have Quincy if we definitely played him, and Quincy ONLY WANTS TO PLAY ON THE WING.

So we are now in an excellent position to try and close this loan deal now, because I would have said there was some doubt whether we could have played both Currie and Quincy in the same team.

The reason is Currie is a wonderful flair player but we've almost had to create a team around him because of his lack of defensive capacity.

We haven't been able to play Albert Jarrett becuase of that and have two non-tackling wingers in the team. Now Albert may get his chance if the Quincy deal doesn't come off.

And then people have mentioned Leon. Yes, Leon hates playing on the wing but the fact is he's done a fine job of it when he's done it for us this season. That's another option.

Currie's defensive problems also makes him a difficult fit in a 5-3-2 wingbacks system that McGhee might be leaning towards now. Currie looked a fish out of water in centre midfield last Saturday.

We'll never know, but I reckon against Millwall he would have suffered the same fate as at West Ham, dropped to make the system work.

If he's in that category, there was just no way that Dick Knight could have turned down this money.

Best of luck to Darren, we know his great strengths but we also know his weaknesses. I hope he's a big success at Ipswich because he's never given anything less than 100% for us.

But like him, we will now move on to bigger and better things with this money, I'm convinced of it.

Totally agree with this. Bit shocked at first but great business and opens space for Quincy. We may not have players with the same ability to control and cross a ball but Hart, Jones and Jarrett are all attacking and there is no way their passion could be questioned. Good Stuff Sir Dick :clap:

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Re: Currie's gone to Ipswich!!

Spearritt of the Albion said:
Just released on Club website.

Darren Currie has left for Ipswich in £250,000 deal. That was unexpected!

Who's gonna cross the ball in now then?

Leon Knight.... at least for the immediate time being.. would be my opinion.

Last edited:

cdavis said:
Let me get this right..........we,re selling our most consistant player this year.........for 250k.............Lets face it........we,re far more in the shit than we,re being told.....!!!!!!! Occurs to me, that Dick and co realise they,re unlikely to ever get Falmer.....therefore, no more financial input from them......get ready for meltdown.........!
Apologies to those who are offended........but reality, as opposed to fantasy is setting in....!

Our most consistent player? ??? You must have watched different games to me. He was brilliant in a few, good in a few more and anonymous is the rest. I was commenting on Saturday to the guy next to me that he was starting to look like another Brooker - great when the ball was white, goes missing when it is yellow. And Nicolas must be far and away the most consistant player this season. I can't remember a bad game.

I would say Currie was the best passer and crosser I have ever seen at the Albion. But that was it. No pace, no defence. He is a luxury player of the type you can only have 1 of in your team. I believe the McGhee realised that which is why Jarrett dissappeared so quickly and why Currie was moved to the right. McGhee obviously believes that Harding is our best full back and is better able to cope with limited protection in front. This could well explain Harding's poor form this season as he has been exposed a lot.

Good luck to Currie - a good move for him but I am far from convinced that Ipswich have spent wisely. I would have been happy with £250k for Harding or Knight - at 30, Currie seems to have been massively overpriced.

Let's hope for some excellent loan signings with money still left over in the bank! :clap2: :clap2:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What L.I. said. Interesting that MM was saying he was trying to persaude Currie to stay but failed, that means Currie must have been pretty dead-set on leaving once he learnt of the Ipswich interest. To have turned down the move and forced him to stay would have soured his attitude, and having an unhappy player in the camp WOULD have been bad for team morale and would have sent the wrong message to the others. As it is (as L.I. says) it shows Harding and the like that the club won't stand in their way.

Great bit of business, I only hope the money goes to securing the future of the club and isn't frittered away on short-term players.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
P.S. - I'm also a bit confused. As they've contributed 250k does this now mean Ipswich fans get priority on Spurs tickets?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Shit. Unbelievable. I'd never have believed it if someone told me this was going to happen last week.

This does suck but £250k is a lot of money in this footballing day and age. I only hope it is genuinely used on the team because without an adequate replacement I fear for our safety.

I'd like to agree with Irish about the morale issue though, so lets hope our boys take the positive from this and go from strength to strength

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
Great.We've lost our only creative player.How many goals have we actually scored this season that haven't been set up by Currie.We're in trouble now. :angry:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If it was the only way, along with the Tottenham money, to be able to bring in new players, I think it could be the making of our season.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I am gutted, please repalce him with player (s), dont let the money go down a black hole

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Can't believe he's gone BUT £250k seems quite a bit of money for someone who is getting on a bit in footballing terms and was free to talk to other clubs in the next month.

If it means we get the youngster from Arsenal on loan and another striker - it's a great bit of business

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here