Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipswich Sign Currie in £250k Deal

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Currie set to join Town

Town have agreed a fee with Brighton for midfielder Darren Currie, with the player due at Portman Road on Friday morning to discuss personal terms and undergo a medical.

The 30-year-old former West Ham apprentice impressed for the Seagulls in their 1-0 defeat by Blues at the end of last month.

A press conference is scheduled to take place at Portman Road at 1.20pm on Friday.

If the deal goes ahead it will be the first time Town have paid a fee for a player since signing Marcus Bent from Blackburn in November 2001.

Currie - can play on either flank

Currie, who was at West Ham as a teenager at the same time as Kevin Horlock and Matt Holland, left the club without making an appearance for the first-team and joined Shrewsbury in February 1996.

He played 83 League games for the Gay Meadow club before moving on to Plymouth in March 1998 on a short term deal, making seven appearances.

He joined Barnet that summer and became a favourite with the Bees fans, scoring 19 goals in 127 League games before Wycombe paid out £200,000 for him in July 2001.

Currie, the nephew of former England and Sheffield United midfielder, Tony Currie, spent three years at Adams Park, clocking up close on 150 games for the club before being released following the Chairboys' relegation to League Two at the end of last season.
He won a year's contract at Brighton after impressing Seagulls boss Mark McGhee on a two week trial in the summer and has been a regular in their side this term, playing on either flank or as a supporting front player.

Squiggsy

Oct 26, 2003
Worthing
Really can't decide if I'm p****d off that he's gone, or chuffed about the £250k.

Can we sign a striker now please??!!

Please Dick, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on.

Jul 20, 2003
blimey - as per the above it's a shame to lose him but it's good money for a slow 30 yr old, too good given our circumstances

250K is nearly the total transfer fees laid out for BZ, Knight and Nicolas

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
250k made in a couple of months - fantastic bit of business. Just need to spend it on a decent striker. That probably won't happen mind.....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
go to bed it's all been a dream

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I love these late night shockers - can't wait to get into work and read all the "what the f*ck"

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
We need another midfielder as well as a striker now though, unless Harty Jarret or Jonah can make the grade.....

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
pevenseagull said:
I hope the medical doesn't include a sprint test

Nah....it involves a darts comp with John Lowe, Jocky Wilson & Leighton Rees.

Followed by a tag-team wrestling match with Big Daddy.

cdavis

May 14, 2004
Let me get this right..........we,re selling our most consistant player this year.........for 250k.............Lets face it........we,re far more in the shit than we,re being told.....!!!!!!! Occurs to me, that Dick and co realise they,re unlikely to ever get Falmer.....therefore, no more financial input from them......get ready for meltdown.........!
Apologies to those who are offended........but reality, as opposed to fantasy is setting in....!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I was just thinking abou our options if we don't sign a new winger.... if we stick with 5-3-2 there's no real need to change the team, just play Carpenter, Nicolas and Oatway as the midfield three. That would be the most hardworking midfield in the division/world, but not exactly posing much of an attacking threat :nono:

With a 4-4-2 we could have Hammond, Hart or even Leon on the right, and Jones, Albert Jarret or Harding/Mayo.

what do you think? =/

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Silent Bob said:
I was just thinking abou our options if we don't sign a new winger.... if we stick with 5-3-2 there's no real need to change the team, just play Carpenter, Nicolas and Oatway as the midfield three. That would be the most hardworking midfield in the division/world, but not exactly posing much of an attacking threat :nono:

With a 4-4-2 we could have Hammond, Hart or even Leon on the right, and Jones, Albert Jarret or Harding/Mayo.

what do you think? =/

Gary Hart Richard Carpenter Alexis Nicolas Jarrett/Jones

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
cdavis said:
I think we,re F####D.....!!!!!
But you clearly suck at opinions.

Turkey said:
Gary Hart?
What about him ???

Turkey said:
Gary Hart Richard Carpenter Alexis Nicolas Jarrett/Jones
Ah makes sense now :D And yeah I'd play the same I think, although Oatway has been better than Carpenter recently :eek:

Last edited:

cdavis

May 14, 2004
Play whatever formation you want.......the morale of the players on learning this news will evaporate......

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
No it won't. The one thing this group of players has in abudance is team spirit, they'll keep on going don't you worry :dunce:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Silent Bob said:
But you clearly suck at opinions.

What about him ???

Ah makes sense now :D And yeah I'd play the same I think, although Oatway has been better than Carpenter recently :eek:

On first reading I thought you'd forgotten about him. Obviously very tired and better head for bed. I'm worried about the left hand side. Jarrett not quite up to it yet. Is Jones going on loan to France (never read the thread about it properly). I reckon we may need a 4-3-3/4-5-1 with Knight behind Claridge. Maybe Jones could do a job there.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Jarret should get a chance I think, but if he can't cut it then there's always the work rate of Jones. I think the loan thing was a joke....
I think McGhee might try Knight on the right with Claridge and Virgs up front...

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Silent Bob said:
Jarret should get a chance I think, but if he can't cut it then there's always the work rate of Jones. I think the loan thing was a joke....
I think McGhee might try Knight on the right with Claridge and Virgs up front...

I recall Knight getting very unhappy when he was asked to do this at Sheffield Wednesday?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here