Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 5

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I have co-pilot with full uk maps and that takes up about 400Mb, Golf GPS apps are about the same my biggest use of space is photos as I sync my photo stream form the iCloud which takes up about 1Gb of space and then any pictures I take on the phone take up a bit more.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Black 32Gb just arrived!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I have co-pilot with full uk maps and that takes up about 400Mb, Golf GPS apps are about the same my biggest use of space is photos as I sync my photo stream form the iCloud which takes up about 1Gb of space and then any pictures I take on the phone take up a bit more.

So 16 gig should be more than enough :) thx

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I'll be using my ipod for music... I wont be downloading stuff on it...

My main concern was the space apps take (ive never had an iphone before so dont have a clue)

I want a sat nav app and a golf GPS app... so not sure the size of these...

Apps don't take up too much room to be honest. As an example my 32GB iPhone is made up of:

12.6GB music
5.5GB Photos and camera
1.2GB CineXPlayer
314MB Weather+

And the rest are apps. As you can see my biggest app is 300MB and most of my space is music, photos and video. If you can control these, then 16GB will be enough.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Apps don't take up too much room to be honest. As an example my 32GB iPhone is made up of:

12.6GB music
5.5GB Photos and camera
1.2GB CineXPlayer
314MB Weather+

And the rest are apps. As you can see my biggest app is 300MB and most of my space is music, photos and video. If you can control these, then 16GB will be enough.

Don't forget though that 16GB is not 16GB. I have a 32GB, and the used (18.7GB) + available (9.5GB) = 28.2GB. I guess that's 3.8GB of iOS6?

Bizarrely though the biggest apps I have are:

13.4GB Music
1.2GB Photos & Camera
335MB Facebook - WTF?
297MB Twitter - Again WTF?
Then everything else 138MB or smaller.

To have a "16GB", I'd have to lose 6.5GB - half of my music, not sure I'd want to do that. Though obviously [MENTION=970]brighton_b0y[/MENTION] has said he won't have any music on it...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was going to get a 16gb figuring I didn't use much of my 32gb 4S. Then I checked and I had it pretty much filled up. The bulk was a backlog of podcasts, with only a very little music. With iTunes Match (and a good data plan) there's little need to store much music on the iPhone itself unless you really want to. The same could be said for podcasts too, however.

So, I went for the 32gb again - more just to be safe that I don't run out of space when I'm wanting to take photos or video which, again, can gobble up space.

Having done an iCloud restore to the 5, I have 22.6gb used, and 5.5gb free, but of that 22.6gb used, 15.3gb are podcasts that don't need to be on there. The biggest app is NavFree France, which we used for Sat Naving around Southern France this Summer, and is 1.1gb. I can delete that now as it happens...

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
[MENTION=23539]Aadam[/MENTION] [MENTION=256]DTES[/MENTION] cheers guys... Going for the 32 gig to be sure... I don't want to be limited on it... on contract doesnt work out too much more. An extra £50 and £5 a month for 24 months...

I am having a nightmare trying to get one anywhere. They dont even know when their deliveries will be in next.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I was going to get a 16gb figuring I didn't use much of my 32gb 4S. Then I checked and I had it pretty much filled up. The bulk was a backlog of podcasts, with only a very little music. With iTunes Match (and a good data plan) there's little need to store much music on the iPhone itself unless you really want to. The same could be said for podcasts too, however.

So, I went for the 32gb again - more just to be safe that I don't run out of space when I'm wanting to take photos or video which, again, can gobble up space.

Having done an iCloud restore to the 5, I have 22.6gb used, and 5.5gb free, but of that 22.6gb used, 15.3gb are podcasts that don't need to be on there. The biggest app is NavFree France, which we used for Sat Naving around Southern France this Summer, and is 1.1gb. I can delete that now as it happens...

Did you really download, from the iCloud, 15.3GB of podcasts that you don't need? Your ISP must LOVE you!

I quite like the idea of iTunes Match, but surely we all get moments now and again when a page is slow to load... doesn't that affect music streaming too?

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Don't forget though that 16GB is not 16GB. I have a 32GB, and the used (18.7GB) + available (9.5GB) = 28.2GB. I guess that's 3.8GB of iOS6?

Bizarrely though the biggest apps I have are:

13.4GB Music
1.2GB Photos & Camera
335MB Facebook - WTF?
297MB Twitter - Again WTF?
Then everything else 138MB or smaller.

To have a "16GB", I'd have to lose 6.5GB - half of my music, not sure I'd want to do that. Though obviously [MENTION=970]brighton_b0y[/MENTION] has said he won't have any music on it...

Really!? Have you tried force closing the apps and starting again? My Facebook app is 136MB and Twitter 122MB

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012

Bozza, how does that work? Do you just stream the music from the cloud, rather than having a hard copy on your iPhone? Also, I had an email from Apple today saying: 'You will run out of storage when your downgrade takes effect'.

Looks like my 25GB of storage space on iCloud is being reduced to 5GB for some reason. Not sure why...

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Really!? Have you tried force closing the apps and starting again? My Facebook app is 136MB and Twitter 122MB

Just tried it now and neither have moved. Maybe I've got some settings about how long back it 'stores' tweets/news feed or something...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Did you really download, from the iCloud, 15.3GB of podcasts that you don't need? Your ISP must LOVE you!

I quite like the idea of iTunes Match, but surely we all get moments now and again when a page is slow to load... doesn't that affect music streaming too?

Actually the podcasts would have come across the network at home - iCloud doesn't store backups of podcasts.

You can force music onto the iPhone if you want to - individual songs, a whole artist of a whole playlist, or just play what you want as you choose from the Cloud. When I select a track, generally at work, it takes a few seconds and it starts playing and never stops to buffer. I'm not sure what it does with internal storage of the phone - I'm guessing it just gets rid of older stuff for newer stuff if it starts running out of space.

The other good thing about Match is the way Apple nicely upgrade all old rips (and any music obtained from dodgy places) to nice high-quality versions.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Actually the podcasts would have come across the network at home - iCloud doesn't store backups of podcasts.

You can force music onto the iPhone if you want to - individual songs, a whole artist of a whole playlist, or just play what you want as you choose from the Cloud. When I select a track, generally at work, it takes a few seconds and it starts playing and never stops to buffer. I'm not sure what it does with internal storage of the phone - I'm guessing it just gets rid of older stuff for newer stuff if it starts running out of space.

The other good thing about Match is the way Apple nicely upgrade all old rips (and any music obtained from dodgy places) to nice high-quality versions.

So if you're on the train with no signal, you cannot listen to your music? If that's true I will keep it as it is, but otherwise I am sold. I'd love my older stuff replaced. Jimi just doesn't sound the same on an old cracked out MP3

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bozza, how does that work? Do you just stream the music from the cloud, rather than having a hard copy on your iPhone? Also, I had an email from Apple today saying: 'You will run out of storage when your downgrade takes effect'.

Looks like my 25GB of storage space on iCloud is being reduced to 5GB for some reason. Not sure why...

Yep - stream from the cloud.

The 25gb plan costs £28 per year. Did you pay that or could it have been bundled with your phone contract maybe?

I use the free 5gb plan which is fine to store backups of my iPhone and the iPad. (Remembering, of course, that if you use iTunes Match, that music does not affect this quota).

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Yep - stream from the cloud.

The 25gb plan costs £28 per year. Did you pay that or could it have been bundled with your phone contract maybe?

I use the free 5gb plan which is fine to store backups of my iPhone and the iPad. (Remembering, of course, that if you use iTunes Match, that music does not affect this quota).

Ah wait, I paid for mobileme before it became iCloud and free. That must be why. Sneaky, although that was £80 a year or something crazy!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So if you're on the train with no signal, you cannot listen to your music? If that's true I will keep it as it is, but otherwise I am sold. I'd love my older stuff replaced. Jimi just doesn't sound the same on an old cracked out MP3

No signal = no music from the cloud. You'll still have access to whatever you've force downloaded previously. I guess for people with mega iTunes libraries it means that you can still carry around, say, 20gb of your music but you won't be cut off from the other 100gb until you return to base. So if you have hankering for a particular track whilst you're out, you can get it in seconds.

Oh, and multiple people can share that library too, which might be useful for some.

D

Deleted member 18477

[MENTION=23539]Aadam[/MENTION] [MENTION=256]DTES[/MENTION] cheers guys... Going for the 32 gig to be sure... I don't want to be limited on it... on contract doesnt work out too much more. An extra £50 and £5 a month for 24 months...

I am having a nightmare trying to get one anywhere. They dont even know when their deliveries will be in next.

Chill. I'm gunna order towards the end of October. Life is too short to get wound up by the availability of a phone. (My 3GS has done me proud for 3 years.. another month won't make a difference). Just buy an iPad whilst you're waiting :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here