Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
After several months of uncertainty I finally managed to say hello to the two people who have sat infront of me all season. I thought I recognised them from The Sarah Records documentary trailer. Anyway to my pleasant suprise they turn out to be this lot...

http://www.last.fm/music/Brighter

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
After several months of uncertainty I finally managed to say hello to the two people who have sat infront of me all season. I thought I recognised them from The Sarah Records documentary trailer. Anyway to my pleasant suprise they turn out to be this lot...

Ah, I love Brighter! Tell Keris to get his sad introverted ass on this thread. I knew he was a BHA fan, in fact this has been mentioned earlier on in this thread somewhere. Saw them only once - at Oxford Jerico Tavern, supporting The Orchids. Heavenly were standing behind me. Some lovely chiming music, not for fans of Limp Bizkit, but like a hot mug of tea in the rain for us sensitive types.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Ah, I love Brighter! Tell Keris to get his sad introverted ass on this thread. I knew he was a BHA fan, in fact this has been mentioned earlier on in this thread somewhere. Saw them only once - at Oxford Jerico Tavern, supporting The Orchids. Heavenly were standing behind me. Some lovely chiming music, not for fans of Limp Bizkit, but like a hot mug of tea in the rain for us sensitive types.

He did say he looks at NSC and I did mention this thread to him so you never know. I had had a few drinks last night so god knows what I said to him. He did chat about the film and its premier in Bristol.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

:wave:

Flex Your Head

CorgiRegisteredFriend;63 07344 said:

I don't know a lot about Brighter, but weren't they the band who supported the Charlottes at the legendary Richmond gig which at least half of us were at and as discussed early in this thread?

This has always been my favourite of theirs and is pretty bloody wonderful... although not particularly typical.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I don't know a lot about Brighter, but weren't they the band who supported the Charlottes at the legendary Richmond gig which at least half of us were at and as discussed early in this thread?

I don't remember any support band, but I must have turned up late, I suppose. Brighter had only released one single at the time of that gig, so they were not a particularly big draw then. Huge now, of course.

Flex Your Head

Ha, that Split Enz track had to be cut from my CD for Staly's Easter Bunny compilation as I ran out of space.
The next door neighbour when I was a kid was the manager of the Top Rank, and he gave me a couple of LPs back in 1977 or 1978, one of which was Split Enz's 'Mental Notes'. They were (I realised years later) basically prog rock Genesis type wannabes, but I loved it. When 'I Got You' arrived in the charts years later I was truly gobsmacked.

I quite like this from when they tried to reinvent themselves as a new wave band.

Genuinely quite a fascinating band, and Noel Crombie the percussionist is an absolute one-off. Much much smarter than he looks.

Flex Your Head

Young Romance are a young brother (guitar) / sister (drums and vocals) duo, and every time I see them I think "Blimey, if they got a slot on Jools Holland's show, they'd be massive the next day." This doesn't quite cut it, but it's not bad at all for a first 'proper' video.

Definitely one to catch live if you can though.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Well, our season was a lot worse than yours, although you'd never guess from looking on here.

I like this at the moment:

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Ha, that Split Enz track had to be cut from my CD for Staly's Easter Bunny compilation as I ran out of space.

Damn!

I also like these at the moment, because they look and sound like a million other no hope bands and could have existed at any time during the last 30 years. A dying breed:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The next door neighbour when I was a kid was the manager of the Top Rank, and he gave me a couple of LPs back in 1977 or 1978, one of which was Split Enz's 'Mental Notes'. They were (I realised years later) basically prog rock Genesis type wannabes, but I loved it. When 'I Got You' arrived in the charts years later I was truly gobsmacked.

I quite like this from when they tried to reinvent themselves as a new wave band.

Genuinely quite a fascinating band, and Noel Crombie the percussionist is an absolute one-off. Much much smarter than he looks.

Interesting band indeed. The oddest thing of all, is how Neil Finn managed to go from this, to putting together the antipodean Lighthouse Family in his later career.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, our season was a lot worse than yours, although you'd never guess from looking on here.

I like this at the moment:

This is really good. I like the backing vocals. Puts me in mind of the Go- betweens (Amanda Brown?), and not just because I've just played them.

(The Flesh Panthers are 'a work in progress'...)

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Young Romance are a young brother (guitar) / sister (drums and vocals) duo, and every time I see them I think "Blimey, if they got a slot on Jools Holland's show, they'd be massive the next day." This doesn't quite cut it, but it's not bad at all for a first 'proper' video.

Singing drummer? Oooh, there's a can of worms.

Here's another one:

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton

Totally agree with that, and her voice really holds up live even while she's playing the drums. They are really nearly there, probably just need the right song - though this one is pretty good. There's been a lot of guitar / drum duos the last few years though, I wonder why? (don't answer that... some notable band from Detroit perhaps...) The other band I think are nearly there are Flowers. Rachel has a great and unusual voice, but I think they are just looking for the right song. Neeearly there.

Flex Your Head

Not really related to much of this thread, but art-punk pioneers and one of my all time favourite bands - Wire. Dunno how this had passed me by, but it's great.

Has a band ever releases a btter trio of albums than Wire's first three?

Here's the tracklisting for the vid.

1. "Introduction"
2. "Another the Letter"
3. "The 15th"
4. "Practice Makes Perfect"
5. "Two People in a Room"
6. "I Feel Mysterious Today"
7. "Being Sucked in Again"
8. "Once Is Enough"
9. "Blessed State"
10. "A Question of Degree"
11. "Single K.O."
12. "Mercy"
13. "40 Versions"
14. "Former Airline"
15. "A Touching Display"
16. "French Film (Blurred)"
17. "Men 2nd"
18. "Map Ref. 41°N 93°W"
19. "Heartbeat"
20. "Pink Flag"

Flex Your Head

Singing drummer? Oooh, there's a can of worms.

Here's another one:

Andy - my Come Again buddy - sent me a copy of the album last year, but it never really did that much for me. That video though is really bloody great I shall have to listen again on my commute tomorrow.

Also, at the beginning of the clip when you see the setlist, I had a WTF?! moment when I saw a song called Del Boy - surely not an homage in song to David Jason's comedy fave? Took me a couple of moments to realise it was Delivery Boy abbreviated :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here