Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
It's a long time since I've listened to it, but I recall that volume's the key to a lot of it. You can't beat an old fashioned synth through a stupidly loud sound system. And my neighbours agree (I expect).

The highlight's the Dr Who theme, obviously.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's a long time since I've listened to it, but I recall that volume's the key to a lot of it. You can't beat an old fashioned synth through a stupidly loud sound system. And my neighbours agree (I expect).

The highlight's the Dr Who theme, obviously.

You probably have a point regarding the volume. In fact the stereo needed to be up to about 8, before it was apparent that the Eno track was actually playing at all.

Anyway - lunch hour update:

05. Throbbing Gristle, Hot on the heels of love

Not bad. Will grow, I think.

06. Christian Zanesi, Marseille 2

Background noise.

07. BBC Radiophonic Orchestra, Dr. Who (original theme)

Its the Dr Who theme tune. (Actually, I don't think I can have heard THIS for a long time, because its actually a really decent pice of music. Far more simple and haunting than the current overblown version).

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
07. BBC Radiophonic Orchestra, Dr. Who (original theme)

Its the Dr Who theme tune. (Actually, I don't think I can have heard THIS for a long time, because its actually a really decent pice of music. Far more simple and haunting than the current overblown version).

Especially in the context of when it was recorded. It must have sounded incredible in the 60s.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Especially in the context of when it was recorded. It must have sounded incredible in the 60s.

Indeed. Quite amazing, actually.

As a really young kid I must have heard Jean-Michel Jarre's Oxygene and Equinoxe albums several thousand times, as my folks were pretty big on them. He was seen as ground-breaking (and undoubtably was, in many respects) but this pre-dates those albums by a decade.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Right, then. First try of this on the way in to work this morning. First impressions:

01. Brian Eno, Signals

2 minutes of self indulgent Eno POINTLESSLESS.

02. Rod Freeman & the Blue Men, I hear a new world

Some mates making silly voices, and playing with the new HI-TECH effects buttons on their synth.

03. Oval, Kardamom

This sounds like a nice, tuneful bit of music*

*being chewed up in a faulty cassette deck

04. Barbara Morgenstern, die liebe...

This is lovely. The first one that makes sense is the one in German!

That's it so far. Its a very short commute...

I like number 2 - it has an eerie quality redolent of the then-emergent space age. But then I enjoy The Laughing Gnome too, so I'm probably an unreliable arbiter of taste. It's good to listen to weird stuff every now and then. In moderation.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
06. Christian Zanesi, Marseille 2

Background noise.

Surely you mean the miraculous conversion of the noises of a working port into a musical composition. I don't think you're immersing yourself enough HK - have a listen to Intercity 125 by Holden from last year and feel the influence of this seminal track. Probably not car music though - police would think you were a bit weird if they pulled you over with that blaring in the background.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Bad luck about the last bit :(

Yeah - I think the day peaked after I played Someone You Love very loudly at about 2pm. Did you "join" the newly-active Popguns? Would have loved to be at the recent Lewes gig - saw the band a lot in Tunbridge Wells (thanks to Dave "Grassman") and they always went down a storm. Trying to avoid reading the Oscar in/Oscar out argument threads, but they're strangely addictive, albeit very, very wearing....

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
No, I wasn't asked to rejoin the Popguns when they started playing again. They never really split up though, they are a group of friends who just stopped playing for a bit. My music taste was always a bit harder than theirs, but I do go along to see them, and think we made some great records - including Someone You Love, which might even be my favourite one...

I was tempted by the recent gig ( funny to now have two old bands playing albums I played on as their sets!) but was put off by the Con Club's association with the Tories. I don't think people realise. Con = Constitutional, but it IS listed on the Conservative Associations site... they seem to be trying to disguise that fact!

I'm happy with The Fireworks!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Joanna Gruesome visiting Brighton again. At The Green Door Store suporting the brilliantly named Perfect Pussy on July 29th.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here