Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
What was the background to the dedication, btw?

I got married on December 22nd 2001. Whilst we were listening to the final episode of the Festive 50 shows, my wife disappeared at one point for about ten minutes. John played the number two record (Hotel Yorba) and then started reading out an email he'd received about a couple living in Kennington who'd got married and were listening to the Festive 50 on their honeymoon. I was thinking "This is just like us!" and then he read out "Please will you dedicate a record to my lovely husband" (or something similar) and said my name. I was gobsmacked. What a fantastic wife. I think John did it because (a) he was very sentimental, and (b) he himself got married to the Pig in Kennington, so that probably made him even more sentimental. I loved John before that, but after that point, I just loved him even more.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I have got literally hundreds of his radio shows stored on cassette. I too remember the day he died and was deeply shocked and upset. If I was not at work I would be able to access You Tube and attach the famous newsnight clip with Mark E Smith making faces in response to questions about Peel and his sad demise. I did meet the man once at the Concorde. It was a radio one festival thing. Both Mogwai and Melt Banana were playing except Mogwai pulled out for some reason. He seemed a really decent bloke. His son Tom does a decent show but nothing like his dad.

Tom's show is one of my favourites on 6 Music. I never spoke to John, but smiled at him when he was standing outside a marquee at the Bowlie Weekender (or was it the one after?). He was talking to someone in his usual endearing way ("Did I not?" was all I picked up. Too starstruck/polite to linger)

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Hmmmm. I'm quite tempted by this as a surprise Bristol weekend for my wife (our honeymoon was in Bristol. And, yes, we visited There And Back Again Lane). Will she enjoy it as much as she would have done 20 years ago though? She often complains about me playing "1980s music". However, I think she might appreciate the surprise.

Flex Your Head

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I had the original version of that along with the CD, but I had to sell it on eBay when Peelie died cos I was skint and had just become unemployed. I got £92.50 for it which was quite a result.

Yes, the original's very rare now. I think the newer edition's better however, because as well as the original's trainspotter paradise of stats on every Peel session it also contains a good thorough history of the show itself. Whilst the other Peel books (including his own) concentrate on his life (the public school childhood, time in America, underage wife, showbiz pals etc) this is the only one which concentrates on his job and why he was actually so important. The man almost single handedly drove a large section of the British music industry for 30 years, often to the chagrin of his employers, and this is the only one of the books which looks at that in any depth.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I've probably asked this before, but has anyone got a recording of the Festive 50 from 2001? John dedicated number one (Melys) to me, and I'd love to get hold of a copy - well, just his dedication to me really (it's not about the music).

Yes, I've got an mp3 of the whole show. It's 110MB though, so don't know what's the best way to get it to you?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Fantastic! Assuming you can't edit the length, can you zip it up somehow so that it'll fit on a CD? HKFC once did me a CD with five or six albums on it by dragging the zipped mp3 onto a recordable CD. I think. Don't really understand these things though. Any ideas, people? If not, I'll either ask my wife or start a thread - someone will know.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Here is that newsnight clip- worth watching for Mark Smiths contribution. Was this really nearly ten years ago!

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Fantastic! Assuming you can't edit the length, can you zip it up somehow so that it'll fit on a CD? HKFC once did me a CD with five or six albums on it by dragging the zipped mp3 onto a recordable CD. I think. Don't really understand these things though. Any ideas, people? If not, I'll either ask my wife or start a thread - someone will know.

Hmmm. I'll just bung it on a knackered old usb stick and send it to you. Do you want a Servants compilation too, while I'm at it?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Hmmm. I'll just bung it on a knackered old usb stick and send it to you. Do you want a Servants compilation too, while I'm at it?

I would like a Servants compilation - thank you. I was going to suggest putting the files in Dropbox, or in Google documents. But whichever method you'd prefer is fine by me.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Emma Pollock also added to Edge Of The Sea

Is the following too much to hope for?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just blown a bit more Amazon credit on The Rise and Fall of Heavenly, and also this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rough-Trade.../tracks/B00005YXNS/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

I don't even know who is on it, and the tracklist on there only gives the song titles, but it was only £3, so hey.

Lets see. From memory Brian Eno, BBC Radiophonic Workshop, The Normal, Human League, Stereolab, Aphex Twin, Kraftwerk, John Cage, Autechre, Faust, Can, Depeche Mode, New order, Throbbing Gristle, NON, Coil, a few electroclash people who were big when it came out and lots of people you'd only have heard of if you read the Wire magazine every month (I don't). It's pretty good, but not a huge amount of tunes.

Warm Leatherette. Should have been on The Big Lebowski OST. You'll be intrigued by The Light 3000 - a cover of There Is A Light... by Schneider TM. An interesting take, much admired in some quarters.

Right, then. First try of this on the way in to work this morning. First impressions:

01. Brian Eno, Signals

2 minutes of self indulgent Eno POINTLESSLESS.

02. Rod Freeman & the Blue Men, I hear a new world

Some mates making silly voices, and playing with the new HI-TECH effects buttons on their synth.

03. Oval, Kardamom

This sounds like a nice, tuneful bit of music*

*being chewed up in a faulty cassette deck

04. Barbara Morgenstern, die liebe...

This is lovely. The first one that makes sense is the one in German!

That's it so far. Its a very short commute...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here