Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Jul 20, 2003
God yeah, that place was marvellous. That's where I developed my taste for halva.

I'm guessing we were probably at a lot of the same gigs. I'm trying to remember who I went to see in 93-94. Heavenly at the Royal Park?

I did a bit of bar work in the Royal Park, until I got sacked for having a fight with one of the natives who wanted to listen to Guns and Roses before the Ireland v Italy world cup game ......... I was in a Nick Drake mode. Imagine the scene, a skinny, folky academic from the south giving a hair metal Tyke a proper good hiding. I should have it on my c.v.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I'm guessing you served me a few pints then. I used to help put gigs on at the Royal Park, but that was a few years later. Milky Wimpshake, Tram, International Strke Force...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
As advocated in the Topical Times Football Book 1973; "a welcome 2 - 0 away win should be celebrated by dancing around the room, arms flailing unashamedly, to a wonderfully fuzzy, noisy, melodic, poppy song full of broken heartedness and angst".

Happy to oblige.

https://soundcloud.com/hehfu/two-and-a-half-years

That's great- followed the link and now listening to the whole album at Bleeding Gold. Not quite got into dance mode yet though- even with the weather like it is.

Jul 20, 2003
I'm guessing you served me a few pints then. I used to help put gigs on at the Royal Park, but that was a few years later. Milky Wimpshake, Tram, International Strke Force...

By the summer of '95 I'd fled to Cranfield work on a novel reactor system for assessing solid phase treatment of pentachlorophenol and similar recalcitrant chlorinated compounds.

Halcyon days.

I'll tell you this though, a hot, sunny day in a northern city is F***ing brilliant.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I'm guessing Bedford's not as good for gigs as Leeds, though I may be doing the place an injustice.

I've never lived anywhere south of Birmingham I'm relieved to say.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Don't knock it til you've tried it Staly. The joy of being in Brighton on a sunny day is something I never tire of. Now, Tram and Broken Dog. Which one is better? The first three Monograph singles - fantastic, dated, or both? Or neither?

Jul 20, 2003
I'm guessing Bedford's not as good for gigs as Leeds, though I may be doing the place an injustice.

I got to do a support gig for Urge Overkill in Bedford

.................. yeah, pretty shit

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Don't knock it til you've tried it Staly. The joy of being in Brighton on a sunny day is something I never tire of. Now, Tram and Broken Dog. Which one is better? The first three Monograph singles - fantastic, dated, or both? Or neither?

Sleeve With Hearts by Broken Dog is one of my favourite records ever. Especially side 2.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Sleeve With Hearts by Broken Dog is one of my favourite records ever. Especially side 2.

When you're in the right mood, Broken Dog are the perfect band. Safety In Numbers is an unalloyed delight. International Klein Blue by Monograph I find hard to resist, despite being superficially unprepossessing. I think it's the guitar solo and the brevity. Monograph were good for satisfying chord changes.

Flex Your Head

That's great- followed the link and now listening to the whole album at Bleeding Gold. Not quite got into dance mode yet though- even with the weather like it is.
Yeah, I paid £4 for the limited edition of 45 copies :)lolol:) cassette of 'The Single Collection' and got the download code immediately. It really is utterly ace.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Just blown a bit more Amazon credit on The Rise and Fall of Heavenly, and also this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rough-Trade.../tracks/B00005YXNS/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

I don't even know who is on it, and the tracklist on there only gives the song titles, but it was only £3, so hey.

Lets see. From memory Brian Eno, BBC Radiophonic Workshop, The Normal, Human League, Stereolab, Aphex Twin, Kraftwerk, John Cage, Autechre, Faust, Can, Depeche Mode, New order, Throbbing Gristle, NON, Coil, a few electroclash people who were big when it came out and lots of people you'd only have heard of if you read the Wire magazine every month (I don't). It's pretty good, but not a huge amount of tunes.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Lets see. From memory Brian Eno, BBC Radiophonic Workshop, The Normal, Human League, Stereolab, Aphex Twin, Kraftwerk, John Cage, Autechre, Faust, Can, Depeche Mode, New order, Throbbing Gristle, NON, Coil, a few electroclash people who were big when it came out and lots of people you'd only have heard of if you read the Wire magazine every month (I don't). It's pretty good, but not a huge amount of tunes.

Cheers Staly.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I don't even know who is on it, and the tracklist on there only gives the song titles, but it was only £3, so hey.

Warm Leatherette. Should have been on The Big Lebowski OST. You'll be intrigued by The Light 3000 - a cover of There Is A Light... by Schneider TM. An interesting take, much admired in some quarters.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just blown a bit more Amazon credit on The Rise and Fall of Heavenly, and also this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rough-Trade.../tracks/B00005YXNS/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

I have got loads of Rough Trade Compilations. They release a 'best of' at the start of each year which is always worth listening to. Lots of unknown stuff plus the odd remix and cover version. My favourite is this four disc effort which celebrated 25 years of Rough Trade.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rough-Trade...89017&sr=1-1&keywords=25+years+of+rough+trade

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Foolowing my Amazon visit yesterday, I just had a little CD-shaped parcel in the work mail :clap2:

Ripped it open, to discover the resplendant yellow sleeve, of 'The Best of DEL AMITRI' :ohmy: :facepalm:

Investigate further to discover the chap has simply used the cardboard sleeve of the Del Amitri masterpiece, to protect the jewel case of the Rise and Fall of Heavenly, contained therein :cheery:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Foolowing my Amazon visit yesterday, I just had a little CD-shaped parcel in the work mail :clap2:

Ripped it open, to discover the resplendant yellow sleeve, of 'The Best of DEL AMITRI' :ohmy: :facepalm:

Investigate further to discover the chap has simply used the cardboard sleeve of the Del Amitri masterpiece, to protect the jewel case of the Rise and Fall of Heavenly, contained therein :cheery:

Phewee - that is one hell of a rollercoaster ride! From the entrance to the jaws of hell to the snuggly pillow of SARAH 623. Great to see some of the more obscure emoticons given a good dusting down and outing too...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here