Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Ah, there's memories. In Leeds they couldn't be bothered to think of may road names, so you would get Harold Road / Place / Terrace / Avenue / Street / Boulevard (OK, maybe not the last one). You could say, even within Leeds 6 (people also referred to parts of the city by postcode), that people lived in the "Harolds". As for Cud, I liked them, though mostly at the beginning when they had a "Fall" thing going on.

Now Cud passed me by. I'd never even heard "Prawn in Whitby", but people used to rave about it (especially friends from Leeds, who had a lot of fondness for the band). I heard it for the first time about two years ago, expecting to unearth a old gem, but, well, it was about as exciting as the underwhelming Abstain by Five Thirty.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Salad? Carter USM? Sharkboy? Perfume? 18 Wheeler? Northern Uproar? 60ft Dolls? Powder? Heavy Stereo?

Brighton's Sharkboy? Come on Staly - I reckon they had one good song! 18 Wheeler weren't bad - a cut above the rest of your list, although an Oasis-loving friend once said to me when I played an 18 Wheeler b-side that this was the kind of really average thing he hated. He stayed with Oasis right up to the fifth album - either that 18 Wheeler b-side was really desperate, or he was unqualified to give an opinion.

Flex Your Head

Apparently not. Apparently they were from NorfolK:

http://www.cloudberryrecords.com/blog/?p=1173
Apologies - just goes to show how something you believe *might* be the case years ago becomes fact after a while. I think I read the name at the time and put two and two together a couple of years later and got sixty-three.

I shall go and transcribe Gary Barlow lyrics for the next four hours as punishment.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Now Cud passed me by. I'd never even heard "Prawn in Whitby", but people used to rave about it (especially friends from Leeds, who had a lot of fondness for the band). I heard it for the first time about two years ago, expecting to unearth a old gem, but, well, it was about as exciting as the underwhelming Abstain by Five Thirty.

Funny thing about Cud was that in the Peel-band world of scruffy blokes, they had far more girls following them than most other bands. Their gigs also used to invariably have full on stage invasions - I remember seeing one when they were a support band (Anti-Poll Tax gig in Brixton - The Wedding Present / Cud / Popguns, if anyone remembers that). I would say (stereotyping), they ended up being far more popular with girls than boys, but I've never been sure why.

Harold View... the name's also funny in being a "View" at all, let alone the other Harolds! This was red bricked Victorian back-to-back-land. Some of those places made the Young Ones house look quite posh! A lounge is an extra bedroom...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Harold View... the name's also funny in being a "View" at all, let alone the other Harolds! This was red bricked Victorian back-to-back-land. Some of those places made the Young Ones house look quite posh! A lounge is an extra bedroom...

I wonder if the Hanover area in Brighton was ever a hotspot for artistic talent? I think it shares a lot of geographical and demographic similarities with the Harolds.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
p000041_0006.jpg

Let's see if this attachment works. Corner shop made into a lovely bedroom for somebody.

Last edited:

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Apologies - just goes to show how something you believe *might* be the case years ago becomes fact after a while. I think I read the name at the time and put two and two together a couple of years later and got sixty-three.

I shall go and transcribe Gary Barlow lyrics for the next four hours as punishment.

It's not a hanging offence. I'd never heard of them at all.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Funny thing about Cud was that in the Peel-band world of scruffy blokes, they had far more girls following them than most other bands. Their gigs also used to invariably have full on stage invasions - I remember seeing one when they were a support band (Anti-Poll Tax gig in Brixton - The Wedding Present / Cud / Popguns, if anyone remembers that). I would say (stereotyping), they ended up being far more popular with girls than boys, but I've never been sure why

Actually it's coming back to me that one of the reasons that I disliked them so much was that Carl Putnam always seemed to have a very attractive girlfriend in tow, which seemed very unfair considering:

elvisbelt.jpg

My more mature self now would say "fair play" I guess.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Apparently not. Apparently they were from NorfolK:

http://www.cloudberryrecords.com/blog/?p=1173

That's a strange tale - who were these fanatical fans demanding Lawrence songs? they only released two tracks, yet they kept the crowd buzzing for 50 minutes. They must have done a fair bit of gigging and not much releasing. Someone needs to make a series of short films about such small yet significant events in people's lives. Episode one: Lawrence and the Comfortable Family.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Yes, I think so. That could be a from little further up towards the University where the houses are a tiny bit bigger. Chestnut Avenue perhaps. It's certainly LS6, which is very distinctive. That sleeve always gives me pangs of nostalgia.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Yes, I think so. That could be a from little further up towards the University where the houses are a tiny bit bigger. Chestnut Avenue perhaps. It's certainly LS6, which is very distinctive. That sleeve always gives me pangs of nostalgia.

Those houses look lovely - they'd cost about £800k in North London.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton

Me too. Very few "Leeds" bands have ever actually been Leeds bands in actual fact. Most were students from elsewhere living in LS6. I was in Hyde Park Terrace, which was actually slightly posher, with practices over the Launderette at Hyde Park Corner...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Me too. Very few "Leeds" bands have ever actually been Leeds bands in actual fact. Most were students from elsewhere living in LS6. I was in Hyde Park Terrace, which was actually slightly posher, with practices over the Launderette at Hyde Park Corner...

We've got some good friends still in Manchester
Sometimes I think I'd like to live back there

This nostalgic city chat reminds me of these lines. Love that song. Great work Shaun, being part of that.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
We've got some good friends still in Manchester
Sometimes I think I'd like to live back there

This nostalgic city chat reminds me of these lines. Love that song. Great work Shaun, being part of that.

Ahh....lucky to meet the right people at the right time! I wish I'd realised how special it was then, though I have been lucky again... with The Popguns and now the Fireworks. It was great being a student though, and Leeds was a great place to be one.

Flex Your Head

Ahh....lucky to meet the right people at the right time! I wish I'd realised how special it was then, though I have been lucky again... with The Popguns and now the Fireworks. It was great being a student though, and Leeds was a great place to be one.
Early Weddoes, Popguns and The Fireworks; that's quite some pedigree.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Early Weddoes, Popguns and The Fireworks; that's quite some pedigree.

You haven't heard my band's unreleased demo tapes Murray - they would BLOW your MIND. When I retire, I'm going to remaster them, record some new stuff and wait for the "buzz" to encircle the globe before releasing a killer single. Our badly-titled song "Epic" has a bass line that would make bass players salivate. Fantastic stuff, sadly unheard...

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Fenton, Royal Park, Hyde Park, Skyrack, Cardigan Arms, Packhorse, Faversham....

Ahhh yes. Add the Khagan Valley curry house... we used to spend far too much time in the Hyde Park when we should have been practising!

And also... back to now, something that The Fireworks learned for At The Edge of The Sea last year....

http://freakscene1.bandcamp.com/album/getting-nowhere-fast-freak-001

All the bands played WP related songs, but our bassist suggested this as an idea instead. We recorded our single "Runaround" the following weekend, so recorded this at the same time, now someone is putting it out as a postcard flexi!

We only intended to play it at the one gig, but it does go down really well..

(I still hold a torch for the original GAOB! version, but this came out pretty well I think.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here