Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I started having second thoughts about half way through. We need a smiley for "who the **** are Lawrence and the Comfortable Society?"

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I started having second thoughts about half way through. We need a smiley for "who the **** are Lawrence and the Comfortable Society?"

The Love Act?? ??? Great to see the flexidisc version of the classic Skink coming out on CD finally. ??? As usual, I'm quite tempted by this CD, but there comes a time when you think to yourself that you've PROBABLY heard all the best C86 tracks already and that the The Enormous Room single may not be all that good and will become clutter on your iPod or similar device - when you skim down the list of artists and you think "Who the hell are THEY?" At the moment, when this happens, my default position is "must be something off Murray's compilation", so I don't really want to complicate my life by adding a new layer of mystery.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Also constitutes the second ever appearance of Bogshed on CD, just as the format's going out of fashion. Scandalous state of affairs.

I also think that I've probably got everything on there that I really need. I'd rather buy stuff from new bands these days. I've still got my original cassette of C86.

On the other hand it would be nice to have Celestial City and Feeling So Strange on a better format than cassette, but I could just go out and buy a vinyl copy of C86 to achieve that.

This probably counts as a first world dilemma.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Also constitutes the second ever appearance of Bogshed on CD, just as the format's going out of fashion. Scandalous state of affairs.

I also think that I've probably got everything on there that I really need. I'd rather buy stuff from new bands these days. I've still got my original cassette of C86.

On the other hand it would be nice to have Celestial City and Feeling So Strange on a better format than cassette, but I could just go out and buy a vinyl copy of C86 to achieve that.

There aren't that many great songs on C86 - it's more a list of (mostly) decent bands. I don't think I've played my album from start to finish since...erm...1986. Celestial City > Maritime City. Maritime City > ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I'd say so...

I have a dilemma too. I'm much liking 'The Yearning' as per the links I posted on the last page, and went to blow some of my left-over birthday Amazon funds on one or both of their albums.

Now, as I've mentioned previously, I refuse to pay for only a download. I'm a luddite. I must have something physical to hold, in return for my cash.

Turns out the only format they released on, is 'limited edition, mint green vinyl'. Now, this £11.99 purchase does include a 'free' download, as well, so my lack of a working turntable won't actually stop me hearing the music I'd be buying, but I can't get my head around shelling out for something I can never play.

(This is the point that one of you wonderful chaps pm's me with the offer of a copy :kiss: )

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Anorak City

No way Staly - that's like insulting the royal family. There aren't many songs more average than Maritime City - for me, it is the quintessential average indie song, up there with Trust by Neds Atomic Dustbin and Firebomb Telecom by Underneath What and Music Stop by The Railway Children. I'd better stop - I'll be here all day, though I'd be very happy to read other people's lists of really average indie songs.

Best song on C86? Pleasantly Surprised? Therese? New Way?

Therese is one of my top 10 songs of all time, so that's the best for me. However, I would also rate Velocity Girl (possibly in my top 30 of all time?), Feeling So Strange Again, This Boy Can Wait. Can't even remember how Celestial City goes, but I generally like songs by McCarthy. The Ron Johnson-y stuff wears me down. By the time I get to Age of Chance, I'm feeling not strange, btu a little sleepy.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
No way Staly - that's like insulting the royal family. There aren't many songs more average than Maritime City - for me, it is the quintessential average indie song, up there with Trust by Neds Atomic Dustbin and Firebomb Telecom by Underneath What and Music Stop by The Railway Children. I'd better stop - I'll be here all day, though I'd be very happy to read other people's lists of really average indie songs

Well there are plenty to choose from. I'd start with anything by Cud. When I lived in Leeds I was constantly affronted by the presence of Cud. I don't know if you're aware of the Harolds in Leeds (as in "Voice of the Harolds") but every indie band in Leeds lived there at one point, and Cud were the most distinctly average for me.

Then Kingmaker. Has there ever been a more average band than Kingmaker?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Well there are plenty to choose from. I'd start with anything by Cud. When I lived in Leeds I was constantly affronted by the presence of Cud. I don't know if you're aware of the Harolds in Leeds (as in "Voice of the Harolds") but every indie band in Leeds lived there at one point, and Cud were the most distinctly average for me.

I almost mentioned Kingmaker, but couldn't choose just the one song out of their repertoire - with Kingmaker, once you pop, you just can't stop. I remember once reading an interview with Jarvis Cocker where the interviewee had to supply an imaginary mixtape for a party. Jarvis finished the tape with "Queen Jane" with the explanation "time to leave".

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Ah, there's memories. In Leeds they couldn't be bothered to think of may road names, so you would get Harold Road / Place / Terrace / Avenue / Street / Boulevard (OK, maybe not the last one). You could say, even within Leeds 6 (people also referred to parts of the city by postcode), that people lived in the "Harolds". As for Cud, I liked them, though mostly at the beginning when they had a "Fall" thing going on.

Flex Your Head

Hurricane #1. Utterly dreadful and then The Sun went and used one of their songs in a TV advert.

Desperate times.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Ah, there's memories. In Leeds they couldn't be bothered to think of may road names, so you would get Harold Road / Place / Terrace / Avenue / Street / Boulevard (OK, maybe not the last one). You could say, even within Leeds 6 (people also referred to parts of the city by postcode), that people lived in the "Harolds". As for Cud, I liked them, though mostly at the beginning when they had a "Fall" thing going on.

Apparently Leeds 6 had the highest concentration of bands to people in the world at one point, although I have no idea how they'd measure such a thing. I used to live on Harold View for a while (you forgot that one) Also on the Harolds at that point were the Edsel Auctioneer, some Pale Saints, a 1000 Violin, Gentle Despite, a couple of Boyracers, some Cuds, some Tse Tse Flys, A C Temple, I think a couple of Hoods and probably loads more I've forgotten. It was quite a noisy area.

I found Harold View to be quite an amusing name because the only thing it had a view of was the other Harolds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here