Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
In the meantime, following on from HKFC's Veronica Falls song in the previous post, here's 105 seconds of side-project The Proper Ornaments loveliness. Big fans of the Flying Nun sound, I reckon.

I really must stop missing out on support bands. I heard this lot on the radio last night, enjoyed them hugely and then remembered they played with Toy in Hove the other day. I remained in the pub not having heard of them at the time.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Support bands would be a good theme actually. I've seen Nirvana. Oasis, Radiohead, The Cranberries, The Las, Primal Scream and the Happy Mondays as support bands in pubs. Anyone got any others?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Support bands would be a good theme actually. I've seen Nirvana. Oasis, Radiohead, The Cranberries, The Las, Primal Scream and the Happy Mondays as support bands in pubs. Anyone got any others?

I did not see The Pogues when they supported Elvis Costello back in the day. Or the Ting Tings who supported New York Pony Club. Or The Killers who supported Britsh Sea Power ( Not hugely worried about that one!)

Flex Your Head

[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] - that's pretty lovely, as is the singer *swooooon*
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] - I've only got the Shifty Disco version of the MtH track (which is slightly less well produced) - had no idea there was an album. Is it worth tracking down?

I saw U2 supporting The Comsat Angels for £1.90 in Brighton. Daren't think how many years ago that was. I went to Middleton town hall to see The Chameleons and the support band apparently went on to become The Stone Roses. I also saw Pulp support The Fall years back when the original support act, a band called Khmer Rouge, pulled out.

Really wish I'd kept a scrapbook or something to log all the gigs I went to. You're sure you'll always remember when you're young, but as the years go by, things get forgotten. Tsk!

Flex Your Head

Bloody hell!

NY Popfest.jpg

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I've only got the Shifty Disco version of the MtH track (which is slightly less well produced) - had no idea there was an album. Is it worth tracking down?

I doubt it - I've only got the Shifty Disco version too. The biggest support band I've ever seen was The House of Love, supporting Felt. Great night.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

not bad. Anyone want to share a taxi? BTW Murray, did you get a pass in your exams? Company I work for are publishing their results on Thursday 7am - I will not be coming home tomorrow night. Still, I'll go home early on Thursday. One more day and the worst part of my year is over...two months of preparing a 167 page document. Sick of the sight of it now. Must take my iPod and listen to the Eagulls and Real Estate albums again.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Is the Real Estate album good? I generally don't buy albums I see reviewed in colour supplements but reviews of that one keep mentioning Flying Nun so I've been thinking I should give it a go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
@<a href="http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/member.php?u=3566" target="_blank">hans kraay fan club</a> - that's pretty lovely, as is the singer *swooooon*

Isn't it / she?

There's more where that came from...

I'm an absolute sucker for this 60s stuff, as we all know. Elefant is now, by a distance my favourite record label.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Is the Real Estate album good? I generally don't buy albums I see reviewed in colour supplements but reviews of that one keep mentioning Flying Nun so I've been thinking I should give it a go.

It's jangly, tuneful, fey, wistful, fairly mono-paced - if you enjoy listening to an album by Brighter, it could be right up your street. If you listen to Talking Backwards on YouTube, it's fairly representative, although slightly sprightlier and poppier.

Flex Your Head

not bad. Anyone want to share a taxi? BTW Murray, did you get a pass in your exams? Company I work for are publishing their results on Thursday 7am - I will not be coming home tomorrow night. Still, I'll go home early on Thursday. One more day and the worst part of my year is over...two months of preparing a 167 page document. Sick of the sight of it now. Must take my iPod and listen to the Eagulls and Real Estate albums again.

Yes, I did. Thanks for asking. Went along to Park Crescent on Monday afternoon to pick up the cert and neck a few free wines.

I'll drop you a quick PM.

Flex Your Head

It's jangly, tuneful, fey, wistful, fairly mono-paced - if you enjoy listening to an album by Brighter, it could be right up your street. If you listen to Talking Backwards on YouTube, it's fairly representative, although slightly sprightlier and poppier.

That's really rather nice; I've not heard them before.

Speaking of songs called Talking Backwards which are half decent, I've always been rather fond of this:

Flex Your Head

Cor, I've been dying to post this for days but haven't had the chance. But look, here's the first batch of bands playing at this year's Indietracks. Loads of great stuff, but I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Brighton's very wonderful The Blue Minkies back in action again, and Rocketship. And Withered Hand. And The Popguns who were surprisingly good when I saw them a year or two back at the Buffalo Bar (supported by Joanna Gruesome)... and and and... it all looks bloody great already and there's still about 30 bands to be announced!

http://www.indietracks.co.uk/line-up/

Who's up for Indietracks 2014? You'll all feel right at home.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Cor, I've been dying to post this for days but haven't had the chance. But look, here's the first batch of bands playing at this year's Indietracks. Loads of great stuff, but I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Brighton's very wonderful The Blue Minkies back in action again, and Rocketship. And Withered Hand. And The Popguns who were surprisingly good when I saw them a year or two back at the Buffalo Bar (supported by Joanna Gruesome)... and and and... it all looks bloody great already and there's still about 30 bands to be announced!

http://www.indietracks.co.uk/line-up/

Who's up for Indietracks 2014? You'll all feel right at home.

Sorry - dates don't work for me. I've got something by Rocketship, but I can't remember what. I'll have to check. I know nothing about Withered Hand, apart from them being Scottish. I follow Indietracks on Twitter - lots of people seem to be very excited. I'd love to go one day, but I might have to change my job first - end of July is always a no-no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here