Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Er... yes, actually! General view seems to be that people aren't making too much out of these things nowadays. Not the first time, either!

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Wasn't trying to be cheeky, just curious. Seeing as he's only pressing 250 of them, if he gave 1 to everybody in all the bands that would only leave 200 or so.

I read something a while ago which said that the sales of something like a McCarthy single in 1986 would absolutely dwarf the figures for even the most popular indie stuff today.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Fair question though, and yes, if everyone in every band was given them, it would be a big chunk of the 250. Exactly that...

You're also right in the second part, though it's blurred by downloads and streaming. You don't really have to buy music now, so you have to somehow include the hits on Bandcamp or You Tube to compare, even excluding pirating. Certainly even The Popguns used to sell several thousand of each single, which is far more than the hundreds now, often just one hundred! 500 used to be the absolute minimum pressing, but that's quite a big pressing by today's numbers. Not sure how many people like Joanna Gruesome are selling though, it would be interesting to know!

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
There's some strange refracted half people on there (or maybe it's just my computer).

Is that you DJing?

Hi, a bit off topic, are you from Stalyvegas? (Stalybridge)

Last edited:

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I'm not from there no, but I did live and work there for a few years. I lived there when I first registered for this site, thus the rather unimaginative user name.

Scary place!

Flex Your Head

Is that you DJing?
If by DJing you mean deciding what song to hit the 'play' button for when the previous one is fading out, then yes, that is Come Again DJs 'avin it large.
Embarrassingly, the picture makes me look really fat and it looks like we have matching shirts on, but we didn't. Honest. Had it been the other day, my 100% Brighton T-shirt would have been on display.

Flex Your Head

It's a real bloody shame that The Besties only ever released two albums and I only ever got to see them once. I would've married either of the girls on the night, if ony they'd asked.

Anyway, after about 3 months of listening next to no music, I'm going to start compiling another set of CDs (to kickstart my love of music again if nothing else). Let me know if you're interested, and if you got a set last time round, maybe list your favourite half dozen or so songs to give me an idea of what's required this time round.

In the meantime, following on from HKFC's Veronica Falls song in the previous post, here's 105 seconds of side-project The Proper Ornaments loveliness. Big fans of the Flying Nun sound, I reckon.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I managed to get to see Joanna Gruesome play for half an hour last night. Really enjoyed it- they played most of the stuff from the album and one new song which they did not name. A most enjoyable evening even if a relatively short set.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION] yes PLEASE, Murray :clap2:

As to 'likes'; winsome girlyness and jangly guitars, are obviously where it is AT :thumbsup:

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
I managed to get to see Joanna Gruesome play for half an hour last night. Really enjoyed it- they played most of the stuff from the album and one new song which they did not name. A most enjoyable evening even if a relatively short set.

As the trains back from London were up the spout as usual, I managed to walk in just as everyone was streaming out of the Joanna Gruesome set. Absolutely gutted.

One of my favourite bands of last year, haven't managed to see them yet.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
As the trains back from London were up the spout as usual, I managed to walk in just as everyone was streaming out of the Joanna Gruesome set. Absolutely gutted.

One of my favourite bands of last year, haven't managed to see them yet.

That really is annoying. Did you get to see Speedy Ortiz? I didn't think much of them. Joanna Gruesome however, would make an excellent addition to Edge Of The Sea line up.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
No... The gig was fated really. The person I was going with didn't manage to get a ticket in time, but I thought I'd go anyway, at least to see JG (and I thought there'd be people I know there). I had heard Speedy Ortiz already and didn't think they were great, so when I realised I'd missed them I just went home, with a thespian flounce! And when I got home there was a tax bill on the stairs.... Not a good night!

I did think it was strange that they played that gig, with all the publicity. They're one of the biggest bands on that scene in terms of publicity, so I was surprised to see them supporting Speedy Ortiz at a small venue. The week before I'd been to see Parquet Courts at a sold out Concorde, and though I like them as well, I kind have thought it would be the other way around in terms of size of gig.... obviously not though.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
No... The gig was fated really. The person I was going with didn't manage to get a ticket in time, but I thought I'd go anyway, at least to see JG (and I thought there'd be people I know there). I had heard Speedy Ortiz already and didn't think they were great, so when I realised I'd missed them I just went home, with a thespian flounce! And when I got home there was a tax bill on the stairs.... Not a good night!

I did think it was strange that they played that gig, with all the publicity. They're one of the biggest bands on that scene in terms of publicity, so I was surprised to see them supporting Speedy Ortiz at a small venue. The week before I'd been to see Parquet Courts at a sold out Concorde, and though I like them as well, I kind have thought it would be the other way around in terms of size of gig.... obviously not though.

From what they said it sounded as if they had supported them for an entire tour and last night was the final night. Maybe they have not got enough material to consider themselves as headliners? But they were the best band easily and pretty certain we will hear more of them.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Yeah, the two bands must be mates I think - and Speedy Ortiz were over from America etc. (where Joanna Gruesome have played some gigs recently) . JG made the album of last year for me, that's why I was so p*ssed off..., but I'd presume everyone on this thread has heard it already!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I ordered mine from Odd Box cos it's only £11.00 inc p&p - hope to have it in the next day or two.

http://oddboxdistro.bigcartel.com/product/nobody-s-business-vol-1-a-diy-pop-compilation

Meanwhile, the whole thing can be streamed here, and it really is a bit of a cracker.

http://candytwistrecords.bandcamp.com/album/nobodys-business-volume-one

Got back from yesterday's football and found this waiting for me. Not played it yet but certainly lifted the mood after an afternoon of frustration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here