Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Phewee - that is one hell of a rollercoaster ride! From the entrance to the jaws of hell to the snuggly pillow of SARAH 623. Great to see some of the more obscure emoticons given a good dusting down and outing too...

Isn't it.

image.jpg

Flex Your Head

Makes you wonder when they use another band's real CD sleeve as wrapping - not a good sign for poor old Derek Amitri.

Funnily enough, when I worked at Virgin in Western Road, a punter (surprisingly) asked for a copy of the new Del Amitri album. I knew I'd ordered three copies but couldn't find 'em anywhere. Turned out the young cash assistant had filed them under 'A' because "we always file them by surname, don't we?"

Actually, I was quite amazed at the stuff I could get filed away behind the CD counter. CDs were put in to ‘master-bags’ – plain white cardboard sleeves – to prevent them being nicked out in the racks. You’d add the artist name and CD title and keep them in alphabetically sorted drawers behind the counter. Clearly, some of the team didn’t bother reading what they were filing away and I managed to get loads of made-up crap in those drawers when I was bored.

Elvis and Meatloaf – Together… Again… At Last!
Mavis Quench and the Quenchettes – Bouzouki Bonanza
Reggie ‘Spoons’ Dexter – A One-Man Band Tribute to Motorhead
Village People and Extreme Noise Terror – Hardcore Houseparty

Simple things for Simple Minds… I mean simple minds.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
That's an untidy room. Still, you look pretty happy about it. What's that in your hand? Looks like a cross between a handleless mug and a shallow vase. Plus, what's on the mantelpiece? Rows of tiny, shiny peg people?

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
It's a soup mug, probably because nobody had washed up for a while. They're cassettes on the mantelpiece. It is quite untidy, isn't it? Guess I didn't really notice in my 20s.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I've probably asked this before, but has anyone got a recording of the Festive 50 from 2001? John dedicated number one (Melys) to me, and I'd love to get hold of a copy - well, just his dedication to me really (it's not about the music).

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I've probably asked this before, but has anyone got a recording of the Festive 50 from 2001? John dedicated number one (Melys) to me, and I'd love to get hold of a copy - well, just his dedication to me really (it's not about the music).

Probably. I'll have a look when I get home.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thanks. If you've got it, I look forward to my children's reaction: will it be (a) complete apathy, (b) slight interest, or (c) the coolest thing ever? I'm going for (b).

I know your little boyband are pretty cool, for younguns, but will they know / appreciate who JP was?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I know your little boyband are pretty cool, for younguns, but will they know / appreciate who JP was?

Every time we go into town, we pay homage at the mural on the side of the Albert. They have also seen The Olivetti Chronicles and Margrave of the Marshes on the bookcases at home. However, you're right - hard for them to understand the enormity of the man. I remember being at work when I found out he'd died and finding myself welling up. Had to escape to the Gents for a (mostly) silent sob (great name for a band? Probably not). Remember going back to my house in Tidy Street (those were the days) and listening to the tributes all evening on Radio 1 - very sad, but heart-warming at the same time to hear so many people with so many kind words. I miss John. He'd be my favourite 6 Music DJ if he were still alive today.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Every time we go into town, we pay homage at the mural on the side of the Albert. They have also seen The Olivetti Chronicles and Margrave of the Marshes on the bookcases at home. However, you're right - hard for them to understand the enormity of the man. I remember being at work when I found out he'd died and finding myself welling up. Had to escape to the Gents for a (mostly) silent sob (great name for a band? Probably not). Remember going back to my house in Tidy Street (those were the days) and listening to the tributes all evening on Radio 1 - very sad, but heart-warming at the same time to hear so many people with so many kind words. I miss John. He'd be my favourite 6 Music DJ if he were still alive today.

What was the background to the dedication, btw?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

I have got literally hundreds of his radio shows stored on cassette. I too remember the day he died and was deeply shocked and upset. If I was not at work I would be able to access You Tube and attach the famous newsnight clip with Mark E Smith making faces in response to questions about Peel and his sad demise. I did meet the man once at the Concorde. It was a radio one festival thing. Both Mogwai and Melt Banana were playing except Mogwai pulled out for some reason. He seemed a really decent bloke. His son Tom does a decent show but nothing like his dad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here