Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Flex Your Head

What's the best music for driving through Brighton? I've never tried. Psychic TV?

I remember driving through Brighton, up on to the A23 and over to Warninglid on a gloriously sunny early morning in summer a few years back. Screeching Weasel, The Queers and The Travoltas just kept a huge happy smile on my face for the whole journey.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I remember driving through Brighton, up on to the A23 and over to Warninglid on a gloriously sunny early morning in summer a few years back. Screeching Weasel, The Queers and The Travoltas just kept a huge happy smile on my face for the whole journey.

Ah Warninglid! As a 12 year old, I remember cycling through there and stopping at Old Smithy Stores to buy chocolate. The shop's gone now. When I got home, I listened to For Those About To Rock. £2.99 from HMV in Churchill Square. Bargain.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Yes, and the early Weddoes stuff is produced so poorly that you can't hear the bass at the best of times (sorry Shaun...).

I think what I'm getting at is that driving music works best when the music and the journey sort of synchronise together, and the music becomes a soundtrack. Some music lends itself to this and some jars. I guess that's even more dangerous because you can slip into a bit of a daze. Sometimes its good to have something jarring to keep you awake.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I've had a theoretical project in mind for a while which I might just do some day, although her indoors would hate it. It's superbly anal though.

My wife's parents live in Middlesbrough and mine live in Shropshire. One Christmas, due to competing demands and an inability to say "no" we ended up having to drive from one to the other on Christmas Day. So A19, M1, M62, M6, M54.

What i was going to do was arrange enough CDs to have something local or relevant playing at every stage of the journey, starting with Golden Starlet and ending with T'Pau. Suffer Little Children when driving over Saddleworth Moor, The Telescopes when passing Stoke etc etc.

If we ever have to do that drive again I might just do it. It'd be easier now I can use the mp3 player in the car, and I'm sure you will agree that it would be well worth it.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Yeah, but the M6 doesn't go anywhere near Macc. If it did I'd have the Macc Lads rather than Joy Division....

"She wore big knickers and she worked at the sewage farm.
Got my hands down her jeans and I nearly lost half my arm."

Flex Your Head

Today's Christmas hit is from Swedish 9-Piece, Irene.

Gonna be DJing at this from 2.00 and my Come Again DJ budy can't make it down from Nottingham as he's suffering from chronic sciatica. That's how hip (replacement) we are :rave:

Big Pink.jpg

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Indietracks Festival 2013. The thread for all things C86

I will see you later Murray! Just hoping my legs start working again after last night's 5-a-side!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Today's Christmas hit is from Swedish 9-Piece, Irene.

I love this already (I've not listened yet)

Gonna be DJing at this from 2.00 and my Come Again DJ budy can't make it down from Nottingham as he's suffering from chronic sciatica. That's how hip (replacement) we are :rave:

I shouldn't laugh - I'm sure it's very sore, but that's a great line...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Put on a good gig Murray and Shaun! I'm sitting in a car park, about to pick my son up from a party in the nondescript town if Ashford in Kent. Suppose I should talk to the other parents instead, but I'm feeling tired. Already planning how to combine gardening with Seagulls Player this afternoon. Come on you Seagulls!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Yo La Tengo with Stephen Pastel singing a Mike Nesmith song. You couldn't make it up- vocals not the best but you can never tell with unofficial live recordings.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I'm the one with the stripey t-shirt and pointy boots, obviously.

Just had to investigate the thread in question. Looks like the old bill enjoying it just as much. One to share at work tomorrow.

Flex Your Head

CorgiRegisteredFriend;60 78312 said:
Yo La Tengo with Stephen Pastel singing a Mike Nesmith song. You couldn't make it up- vocals not the best but you can never tell with unofficial live recordings.

Lovely stuff - not seen that before, thanks.

My Christmas tune today features a whole host of indie legends, but I'm not sure it's particularly poppy. Bloody beautiful though:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here