Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] India v England Test Series

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I’d like to see us get them in for 8 overs or so tonight but can’t see it now, I guess going as long as possible means the pitch deteriorates but with the bat as long as possible tactic this game looks to be heading fast towards a draw IMO

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Love the Indian commentary they make this sound like India are on top.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Love the Indian commentary they make this sound like India are on top.

Certainly better than Nick Knight, guy talks utter tripe.

Two pretty crap shots (or non-shots in Buttler's case) as well though.

I'd like to keep India out there as long as possible to put miles in their legs for the rest of the match and series. I realise this isn't an exciting strategy.

True but if we come out tomorrow and get out early, India have had tonight to get in the ice baths and recover, we aren’t going to get many more here the value was in putting them in tonight and trying to snare a couple. I understand why they didn’t but I think the strategy to try and win the game was to declare, this is the draw strategy.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just said the last session India have got back into it, it's about not allowing England to get away with it. England are 531/8 I think that's got away.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

True but if we come out tomorrow and get out early, India have had tonight to get in the ice baths and recover, we aren’t going to get many more here the value was in putting them in tonight and trying to snare a couple. I understand why they didn’t but I think the strategy to try and win the game was to declare, this is the draw strategy.

I completely agree in general, it's just I don't see us getting a couple of quick wickets with the new ball in these conditions. I may well be completely wrong. I think the only way we win this game is if the pitch breaks up.

There's also the benefit of the India team having to spend tonight looking forward to more time in the field, go through all their warm ups tomorrow and spend time and energy getting the last wickets, before having to switch to a "bat for night on 3 days" mindset.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
England batting two full days is something you don’t see very often, even on a totally unresponsive pitch. We’d have to go some to lose this now, the toss was and always is vital in India.

Also, Ashwin bowled 2 no balls today after holding the record for the most balls bowled in test cricket without a no ball. (20k balls)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That's the problem with Root. He has real trouble converting his 200s to 300s

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Not at all India will either have to bat twice to save the game or bat very well and score very quickly in order to have the upper hand in the three days remaining. Switch the names with the score and imagine if England had to score 355 ( and it could be more ) just to avoid the follow on on this pitch, how confident would you be about them doing it ? India would have to bat last on a wicket that is just starting to deteriorate now.

India will do well to save this unless they can bowl us out without much addition to the score and score close to 400 on day three.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
England batting two full days is something you don’t see very often, even on a totally unresponsive pitch. We’d have to go some to lose this now, the toss was and always is vital in India.

Also, Ashwin bowled 2 no balls today after holding the record for the most balls bowled in test cricket without a no ball. (20k balls)

30 odd extras

What was it 16 or 17 no balls

Could be the difference

Sloppy from India

And that dolly! :lolol:

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Nice to watch this morning; I have missed test match cricket on TV. Be even better once fans can get in the grounds again - hopefully in some months time.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Not at all India will either have to bat twice to save the game or bat very well and score very quickly in order to have the upper hand in the three days remaining. Switch the names with the score and imagine if England had to score 355 ( and it could be more ) just to avoid the follow on on this pitch, how confident would you be about them doing it ? India would have to bat last on a wicket that is just starting to deteriorate now.

India will do well to save this unless they can bowl us out without much addition to the score and score close to 400 on day three.

Switch the names around I’d be worried but that’s England, India are used to fielding for a long time and batting for a long time in docile conditions.

I’m extremely confident India will easily make 355, this wicket is flat as a pancake and our spinners are bang average. I don’t think India will try and score quickly, that’s my point, with the opposition scoring 600 first innings with say 2 3/4 days left you are just going to be trying to preserve the draw, India aren’t trying to win this now. Have a team ever won after a conceding 600 odd first innings?

This match is a nailed on draw for me from here, hope I’m wrong obviously :lolol: That’s why IMO the aggressive tactic was to get them in tonight and have two spells with the new ball, for the value of 20/30 runs that would have been worth it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I don’t think India will try and score quickly, that’s my point, with the opposition scoring 600 first innings with say 2 3/4 days left you are just going to be trying to preserve the draw, India aren’t trying to win this now. Have a team ever won after a conceding 600 odd first innings?

This match is a nailed on draw for me from here, hope I’m wrong obviously :lolol: That’s why IMO the aggressive tactic was to get them in tonight and have two spells with the new ball, for the value of 20/30 runs that would have been worth it.

600 no. 551-6 declared yes. Just as I was flying out for the 2006/7 Ashes Series.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...lia-vs-england-2nd-test-249223/full-scorecard

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here