Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
110-7 at lunch, well played lads same again next week

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Two points:

Cricket now more than ever, for whatever reason, seems to be dependant on conditions. It was only 18 months ago that this India team looked dreadful against a swinging ball on green pitches that seamed a bit - about as dreadful as we look on their featherbed dustbowl!

We'd lost this match as soon as we lost the toss. Sehwag took the game away from us in the first session. Once India post a big total our batsman are shitting it trying not to get out and Dhoni can open with spin and have 5 in close catching positions, bet he wouldn't have done that on the first morning. I'm not saying we would've won if we'd won the toss, but it would be much closer at this point in the match.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Cook plumb lbw early in second innings. No sympathy with India at all. Had DRS been in use, he'd have been on his way.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What a performance by Cook and supported by Prior, some proper fight being shown.

Whatever miss fortune India feel, is nothing compared to the 2 stinkers Patel has had in this match, I doubt he'll feel that these things even themselves out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A great performance from Cook and Prior in the 2nd innings but I expect them to follow the usual pattern and lose their wickets early on the last day. We will then be all out virtually by lunch with a lead of about 50, that is what usually happens after such a fighting partnership.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A great performance from Cook and Prior in the 2nd innings but I expect them to follow the usual pattern and lose their wickets early on the last day. We will then be all out virtually by lunch with a lead of about 50, that is what usually happens after such a fighting partnership.

This is the most likely outcome, however the Indians looked shattered at the end of today. IF Cook & Prior can just see out the first 40mins or so, they'll be the team under pressure. Massive IF though!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I said this happens so often that a player scores a massive total on 1 day and then is out early the next. H ow many times has a player scored 80 or 90 like Prior and then not got the century or like Cook not gone on to the double century, which they would have done had there been another hour or so still to play today.

larus

Nothing personal, but that is such a typical 'English' attitude, which is why we do so often fail. Take the Aussie attitude; much more confident/gung-ho, therefore more likely to succeed.

Thankfully, Cook and Prior don't seem to have the same defeatist mentality. Yes, we could still lose, but how many thought that when Patel went first ball, that would be the last wicket of the day.

If people think negatively, guess what, they'll lose. If they think positively, they might win.

We have 5 wickets in hand, on a slow pitch which (according to reports), isn't breaking up and isn't turning a vast amount. If we can get to lunch with only losing a maximum of 2 wickets, I fancy that the Indians heads will drop. Be good to declare at tea and have a go at them for the last session; try to knock a few over.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is not defeatist but a reflection of what usually happens as the players irrespective of it being England Australia or South Africa very rarely do as well on the 2nd day as they have to start all over again.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I can't help but agree, more often than not Prior gets out in these situations. Great effort though and if they can get through the first few overs the Indians will start getting twitchy. They can't lost however so can, and should, be all out attack. Zaheer Khan was bowling without a slip at the end of today which I think is an incredibly stupid piece of captaincy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well played in this match Cook, Prior and Swann. Total disaster from the rest. We can do something about the bowling by bringing in Monty. The batting, on the other hand is a shambles Messrs Compton, Trott, Pietersen, Bell and Patel. When will we learn to play spin properly?

- - - Updated - - -

See. Got out playing a horrible shot too.

That's a bit trite. Matt Prior plays shots, that's what he does, albeit somewhat tempered in this match. He got us 139 runs, he is NOT the problem here.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Well played in this match Cook, Prior and Swann. Total disaster from the rest. We can do something about the bowling by bringing in Monty. The batting, on the other hand is a shambles Messrs Compton, Trott, Pietersen, Bell and Patel. When will we learn to play spin properly?

- - - Updated - - -

That's a bit trite. Matt Prior plays shots, that's what he does, albeit somewhat tempered in this match. He got us 139 runs, he is NOT the problem here.

Oh I know, no blame attached to Prior here. I was simply mentioning that he struggles to kick on after taking a good score in the previous day. Plus even he will admit that he threw it away a bit.

I see Broad is having a pop at the media again after a poor test. That boy needs to get his head down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here