Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

India v England - Test Series

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fantastic bowling from Swann, on fire. Today was swung back in England's favour, at 220-1 the match looked lost already, 283-4 is a great come back. One more tonight and I might even get up early!!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Sounds like the last Swann wicked went straight through the top of the pitch. Expect us to collapse to the Indian spinners in both innings.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sounds like the last Swann wicked went straight through the top of the pitch. Expect us to collapse to the Indian spinners in both innings.

I'm watching it, it bit into the surface a touch, but the pitch has been very consistent.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
f***ing shit decision, picking Patel (unless he scores lots of runs, I suppose)

Really? I think Bresnan is the one to be wondering if Panesar was a better bet. Patel has actually helped slow the RR down, and given Swann support at the other end.

New ball taken now....seamers back on, will having 3 of them actually pay off!?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Any reverse with that first ball?

I don't think it did anything to write home about. There weren't many play and miss shots, Sehwag who looked ordinary with any movement in England last year, barely played a false stroke. Kind of tells you what the ball was doing.

The new ball was conventionally swinging just now, but they quickly got on top of it. Pitch is deteriorating though, which is a worry.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think there are other factors at work.

Pitching in Compton is a risk and so the selectors have shored up the batting by including 2 all-rounders in Patel and Bresnan. It's a shame that considering they have a batman / wicketkeeper of the class of Prior. Had Strauss been available I think they might have played Panesar ahead of Bresnan.

The Indians have been crafty in both keeping the spinners away from England in their warm-up games and also producing pitches that helped the seamers, particularly Bresnan who until today had bowled well and picked up wickets on this tour. The Indians have lulled England into picking the 3 seamers and then produced a spinner's paradise track for the 1st Test. How is it that the England selectors fall for this every time in the sub-continent?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
502-6.......death by a thousand cuts (or probably 600 declared cuts...).

It didn't need India to 'dupe' England selectors by preparing seaming pitches in the warm up, even if they had turned in the tour matches, It is simply not in England's DNA (or South Africa / Australia for that matter) to select just 2 spinners and 2 seamers (I would welcome being proved wrong on that point!).

England's 1 success on the subcontinent last winter following 4 successive defeats to Pakistan and Sri Lanka, was with Patel, Swann, Bresnan, Finn and Anderson in the attack in the final test in SL. With Monty and Swann in the team with only 2 seamers, England lost 3 on the bounce - although I accept some of that had more to do with the batting than the bowling.

All very easy in hindsight, and we'll know more about how well they've selected by the close of play tomorrow...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can't bear to stay in touch with this test match but I'm convinced it's going to be an absolute disaster.

So a flat pitch. I reckon we'll be about 40/3 in no time.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hopefully we can at least draw

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wicket, here we go

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here