Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

India v England - Test Series

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Let's not get ourselves too dejected, one of those wickets was Anderson, so a throw away really (and pretty stupid to have sent him out anyway). Really felt for Compton, how's your luck making your first Test innings with 6 round the bat with spin from both ends. Not sure there was a lot he could do. KP briefly showed he wasn't going to stand for people crowding his bat and counter attacked down the pitch. Whether this gets him out or not, it was a different tactic to just accepting those around the bat and allowing the spinners to bowl want they want - you can just block, got to go for a few shots.

Cook did well, KP looked confident (kiss of death). Not completely lost just yet....

(yes, I am an eternal optimist!)

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
okay i just feel you should play 2 spinners in India

I can't argue with that, but there is a lot more to England's mindset as well. Would we have put 5 round the bat as India just did? I doubt it. After one of the wickets yesterday, one of the mid order comes in and we have 1 slip to Swann!? No point having 2 spinners if mentally we don't know how to attack. Same with how we bat against spin, we're naturally negative (apart from some of our mid order who can't be positive once so many early wickets go down).

Hopefully KP really has it in his mind to do well here. Perfect foil for Cook who can take his time, whereas KP can be more positive. If they get an early wicket, it's all over though...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I can't bear to stay in touch with this test match but I'm convinced it's going to be an absolute disaster.

So a flat pitch. I reckon we'll be about 40/3 in no time.

Not even going to bother looking at cricinfo anymore, Mystic Simster will do :bowdown:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
502-6.......death by a thousand cuts (or probably 600 declared cuts...).

It didn't need India to 'dupe' England selectors by preparing seaming pitches in the warm up, even if they had turned in the tour matches, It is simply not in England's DNA (or South Africa / Australia for that matter) to select just 2 spinners and 2 seamers (I would welcome being proved wrong on that point!).

I disagree and think the selection says more about those sides not having 2 top quality spinners in the first place. The thing is we DO have two top quality spinners in Swann and Panesar.

I think Monty's achievments at test level have to be seen in light of some of his predecessors: In 42 tests he's bagged 142 wickets @ 33.33 apiece, so has more wickets than Phil Edmonds, Ray Illingworth and Phil Tufnell. He's only 5 wickets behind John Emburey but with a far superior average, and only 11 behind Fred Titmus. This puts him in the Top 6 or 7 spinners in English test history.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Compton's knock bears out the concerns that he's a big risk at this level. They're padded the line-up with batting to mitigate against that risk and help Cook make a steady start as captain, but the selections reek of defensiveness and fear, and this is fatal.

Once again England fail with the nightwatchman policy, this time costing the wicket of Trott. If Samit Patel has been picked because he's a good player of spin them get him out there to close out the day.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I disagree and think the selection says more about those sides not having 2 top quality spinners in the first place. The thing is we DO have two top quality spinners in Swann and Panesar.

I think Monty's achievments at test level have to be seen in light of some of his predecessors: In 42 tests he's bagged 142 wickets @ 33.33 apiece, so has more wickets than Phil Edmonds, Ray Illingworth and Phil Tufnell. He's only 5 wickets behind John Emburey but with a far superior average, and only 11 behind Fred Titmus. This puts him in the Top 6 or 7 spinners in English test history.

I don't disagree with the stats or his ability, but England historically and now don't like picking 2 spinners. The trouble with the larger picture of stats, is that actually in India, the seamers do well. Both Jason Gillispie and Glen McGrath have better records in India than Shane Warne, Murali averaged 45 runs per wicket - compare that to some quicks; Steyn 20.23, Donald 16.11, Pollock 27.38, Flintoff 30.45, Hoggard 23.31, Anderson 33.45. Monty has played 5 matches in India, taken 11 wickets at 55.90...Stats completely skew the reality of this pitch, however it's a myth that pace and seam bowling don't do well.

I agree it is looking a mistake to leave him out, and perhaps he should be in for Bresnan (or Broad if he wasn't fully fit). I also don't know why Cook didn't bowl KP more as a 3rd part time spinner, or attack more after key wickets? Lots of negative decisions throughout the side.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Great, stuck in India with all my local mates ripping the crap out of me. How long does this series last?

This test until Nov 19.

2nd Test Nov 23 - 27

3rd Test Dec 5 - 9

4th Test Dec 13 - 17

T20's Dec 20 & Dec 22

ODI's
Jan 11
Jan 15
Jan 19
Jan 23
Jan 27

Good luck!!!