Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inception

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Ah a " critic " that explains it all. Thanks for clearing that up. And your comment at the end sums up critics. Done nothing their whole lives and destroy other people's work.

You hear this a lot from actors and musicians (with an axe to grind), but it sounds rather ridiculous coming from a member of the public who'd clearly LOVE to be a professional movie critic.

I mean, you give opinions on movies too. It's just that nobody pays for them.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Also, I'd like to add, as a published and active theatre critic I am less accepting of mediocrity than the average patron; I'm sure you'll enjoy it perfectly well with your humble tastes.

That is cobblers. And another reason why people should pay less attention to the likes of your profession.

zamoraace

Jan 3, 2009
I am just an average guy that sees the odd movie now and then and having just watched it last night I felt personally that it was a very good film if you like to use your brain. The only criticism I would have is that being a 12a film which is fair in that it does not have scenes of a sexual nature and is not to graphic in its violence, however it is quite a deep and thoughtful film which could get lost on many adults never mind young teenagers. Also it is one of those films that you may have to watch over again to understand fully the context of the movie.

All in all I would give it 5 stars for being well acted, well directed with excellent special effects as par standard nowadays and if you are a fan of films like The Matrix series and The machinist etc etc then this is a film you will enjoy. If you have had a long day and want an easy film to watch then dont go and see this as to get the best out of the film you need in my opinion to see the film when you can take it all in.

Cheers and also up the Albion as havent posted for ages as I am very optimistic for the season ahead and having seen big teams pre season noone has fantastic results, it is all about fitness trying out tactics etc and I for one can see a real team building exercise going on and on paper at least we should certainly be a top ten side and on the edge or just in the play offs as hinted by the current betting..

Cheers all:))

Rocket

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Per chance this tasty little morsel in particular

" I am less accepting of mediocrity than the average patron "

Unless of course you believe your own hype.

Oct 25, 2003
US, i usually enjoy your posts but you need to stop getting offended by people having different opinions to yours

films/music/any kind of art are subject to personal taste, therefore not everyone will like even the highest rated films

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
US, i usually enjoy your posts but you need to stop getting offended by people having different opinions to yours

films/music/any kind of art are subject to personal taste, therefore not everyone will like even the highest rated films

f*** OFF

:p

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Some of the funniest films my friends and I have seen have been absolutely canned by "critics".

This proves to me that those who label themselves as critics are humourless, pompous, condescending twats.

Which is why I'd never pay any attention to what their out of touch with the public views express.

Absolutely. I tend to avoid the overhyped films - The English Patient won loads of Academy Awards and yet it was probably one of the biggest pile of steaming turds I've ever had the misfortune to watch.

The Dark Knight just bored me !

One of my favourite films, My Cousin Vinny, won only one award yet makes me roar with laughter every time I see it.

*** awaits to be flamed by US ***

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The Dark Knight just bored me!

I'm with you on that, Westdene. Alot of it was very good, but it deffinitely sagged a bit in the middle. And as for the controlled demolition of the hospital... I mean come on. That is one of the most corny and out of place things I've seen in a film for a long time. That was done purely for the (admittedly stunning) visual effect, and went against the integrity of the film in my opinion.

Also, I saw An Education when that came out, not because of any hype (I'd never heard of it at that point), and the girl I saw it with and I were both laughing at how corny and unrealistic it was. Then all the hpye started up and we were both baffled by it. Some people take films far too seriously.

I'm looking forward to seeing Inception, which will probably be this week, but I'm going to see it to be entertained, not because it's meant to be amazing.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ha ha ha. Do I get an apology from our critic ?.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
How can these online sites prove anything when you don't know the demographics of its users?

For all we know the studios rig the system by having blocks of people vote for certaini films

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I saw it today and thought it was brilliant. My girlfriend and my mate both feel asleep and weren't impressed.

All a matter if opinion I guess.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I saw this last night;

Overall a fairly good movie, running on one basic idea. It feels overly long at just over two hours, and the ending you should see coming from a mile off.

Performances are quite decent across the board, without being anything to rave about. Will get Oscar buzz for the effects, which are on the good side (as opposed to The Day After Tomorrow/Armageddon/2012 nonsense).

The first half is deliberately stylized (well, the whole thing is very stylized - not always in a good way) - and is very confusing. Nolan does this on purpose to make the most out of what is essentially one big gimmick.

On the whole, both me and missus gave it 3* - worth seeing - but only on the big screen for the sheer spectacle and definitely not as good as the hype says. The rotten tomatoes aggregate has come right down now too to it's natural resting place.

Oh, and Michael Caine and Pete Postlethwaite have totally pointless nondescript cameos. That's all.

I saw the film today and would agree with that. I was really looking forward to it but came out disappointed. I found it confusing and difficult to separate reality from dream sequences (although I am sure that is what was meant to happen). All the people in three different scenarios all at the same time made me lose concentration, but everyone to their own taste. Its for people to judge for themselves and not criticise those who have given an opinion.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
What is cobblers exactly? ???

Sorry that didn't make sense, I rather spluttered through my Cornflakes.

Firstly, the majority of high-profile critics do an excellent job. Their expertise is putting the current film/production in context in the world and history of film/theatre. In the same way as one would trust the word of John Motson on what makes a good football match, rather than someone who goes once or twice a season.

I think I reacted to what came across as a bit of pomposity verging on the arrogant, but words on a screen are just that - words, so this is not personal! Declaring oneself 'published and active' is a bit of a target, especially as you do theatre. I do take issue with your being 'less accepting of mediocrity than the average patron' however. Maybe you meant that having seen so much, you have a wider experience of what is truly great but I would suggest that being a generally PAYING punter, I am more likely to have a stronger 'unacceptance' of mediocrity than you are. Most people have had free tickets to films and theatre; I bet that paying through the nose for a top seat heightens one's reaction - that was great/bloody awful what a rip-off.

A bad production to you sits in comparison with everything else you've seen. A bad production to me is an utter waste of time and money and I'm cross they get away with it.

Fair?

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
They could make a fortune by having studios pay them to adjust their ratings %'s.

What a top potential scam.

Fair point and good idea - but it has already been done. Critics have been bribed for centuries. :tosser:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Ok so i saw it today and that it well-made but narratively ill-composed. When writing a script i am sure you're not meant to say the same word over a thousand times. Ok it's about dreams, dreams, dreams, dreams. Dreams. But it's not so much about dreams and pretty simply some set-pieces given a tad of human element by the guilt lodged permanently inside of Leonardo, our facially uncomplicated lead. The set-pieces were as i mentioned well-made and sometimes good to look at, but it held little substance, i thought. Maybe that ill-composure represents the erratic make-up of dreams themselves, but it didn't manage to mix the chaos of the unreal and the cursed imaginings of grief with enough depth. It was an action adventure, half-Bond, half-Matrix, and didn't have me wonder wide-eyedly on departure. Certainly not with a pounding and slightly boring 45 minute crescendo with characters without great foundation.
Patchy, but technically skilled. Not without merit, but nothing much that will linger in me for good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here