Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Important: Reporting homophobic chanting

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If Albion start making formal protests at away grounds about chanting expect a VERY negative response from other supporters, I reckon.

Exactly. People are taking the whole issue too seriously. What we're talking about mainly is the Boyfriend chant, which isn't homophobic. Putting things like that under the general banner of homophobia trivialises what actually IS homophobic. I go to a lot of games on my own, and that includes away games, and I have been subjected to homophobic abuse, most of us on here probably have. That's what should be complained about, not the occaisonal playful chant from opposing fans. If we complained about anything even slightly homophobic, when something serious does happen it won't be taken notice of because we're always complaining. It's a very difficult subject.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It seems odd to compare these chants to sheepshagger chants (or similar); calling someone a sheepshagger is an insult, as being a sheepshagger is a bad thing.

To you, maybe...but to a lonely farmhand in the valleys it is a sensible policy of shared bodily warmth in a frozen field.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It seems odd to compare these chants to sheepshagger chants (or similar); calling someone a sheepshagger is an insult, as being a sheepshagger is a bad thing.

Speaking on behalf of both Flossie and myself, I disagree.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
does it matter that it was tit-for-tat? Homophobic chanting was heard and reported. The circumstances surrounding why it was reported is surely irrelevant. I do wonder as well at how difficult it really is to identify people making homophobic chants at football.

If you are really serious about wanting to eradicate the bigotry then it's about time that BHA formally petitioned the FA and Football League about the homophobic abuse that we Brighton fans are uniquely subjected to each and every game. Why not invite officials from these organisations to sit with opposition fans during a few random games and hear what is being said. You and I both know they will hear sustained homophobic abuse at every game they attend.

To be honest, your suggested approach is one big fat cop-out. I'd rather you did nothing than pretend that you are doing something.

The tit-for-tat aspect was reporting it to the media, not the fact it was reported - it would have been preferable if it was reported to the club. As I have pointed out on both threads, we ask that you report it to the club. We will then do everything we can to deal with the culprits. The sensationalist approach from the BBC doesn't really achieve anything.

Also, FYI - Kick It Out have been down to observe what we have to contend with and we are constantly working with them and other bodies to find solutions and educate the perpetrators (not an easy gig). Last year we hosted the first anti-homophobia conference, sadly no other clubs attended. There is no easy solution. This season we have been working with BBC Three on a film to be broadcast next year, they were at the Leeds match filming on the subject, and the programme will be hosted by Justin Fashanu's sister. This came about through our work with the Justin Campaign, so I think it is unfair to say the club are pretending to do something. Hopefully this may open a few more people's eyes, but it is going to be a slow educational process.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I have it on good authority that Mr Raj Chandarana, from the Football Supporters Federation, is a Palace fan.

Ironic really.

If that's true, I can't see him exactly leading the fight. He'd take away all his own club's favourite songs.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Am I right in thinking if a fan was gay (and yes there are many of them) they could not complain about any chants of does your boyfriend know your here? and anything about anal sex with a man as it is not factually incorrect, the fans are stating a truth but they would have a case for a chant of "does your GIRLFRIEND know you are here?". Same could be said if a team was to chant "SOME Welsh are sheepshaggers" Again factually correct as not all are.

Seriously though I beleive that because of the above if a footballer came out as gay while still playing, then he would get no protection from the taunts from fans because everything is true. After all, have you ever heard of any prosecutions for fans chanting sexual comments to hetrosexual players who have been in the news? Stan Collymore got away with his dogging allegations and so have many others. There cannot be a prosecution for stating the truth

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm struggling to see why so many people can't work out where the line is here, at least approximately.

I don't suppose anyone finds the "Does your boyfriend" stuff particularly offensive, frankly I find it more more tedious :yawn: than anything else. "You're just a town full of faggots", on the other hand, is thoroughly unnecessary, nasty and derogatory. Not because it is a dig at the town, before someone suggests that, but because "faggot" is generally used as a term of abuse. Put it this way, if you stood in the street screaming "faggots" at someone (gay or or otherwise), you'd more than likely end up being arrested. Certainly the expectation on me from a work point of view would be that the person would get nicked for a public order offence, and it would be an aggravated offence from a court's perspective because it would be seen to be motivated by hostility towards someone's membership- perceived or actual- of a particular group. I remember Bournemouth fans singing songs towards Albion fans about being HIV Positive, which I thought was disgusting too. Pretty sure nobody sings songs about cancer, for example.

It's pretty simple for the stewards. If someone starts up singing something that crosses the line, then find the nearest one and kick them out. They can hardly use "everyone was doing it guv" as a defence, because it doesn't take away the guilt of the individual in question. Even as a kid, you soon get told "and if everyone else told you to run off a cliff, would you do it?", or words to that effect. Chuck a few out, let them work it out for themselves, and the rest will soon learn. Frankly, if some moron is part of a large group singing about faggots, I'd have no sympathy whatsoever if he ends up being the only one ejected. Won't do it again, will he?

:shrug:

I'm struggling to see why so many people can't work out where the line is here, at least approximately.

I don't suppose anyone finds the "Does your boyfriend" stuff particularly offensive, frankly I find it more more tedious :yawn: than anything else. "You're just a town full of faggots", on the other hand, is thoroughly unnecessary, nasty and derogatory. Not because it is a dig at the town, before someone suggests that, but because "faggot" is generally used as a term of abuse. Put it this way, if you stood in the street screaming "faggots" at someone (gay or or otherwise), you'd more than likely end up being arrested. Certainly the expectation on me from a work point of view would be that the person would get nicked for a public order offence, and it would be an aggravated offence from a court's perspective because it would be seen to be motivated by hostility towards someone's membership- perceived or actual- of a particular group. I remember Bournemouth fans singing songs towards Albion fans about being HIV Positive, which I thought was disgusting too. Pretty sure nobody sings songs about cancer, for example.

It's pretty simple for the stewards. If someone starts up singing something that crosses the line, then find the nearest one and kick them out. They can hardly use "everyone was doing it guv" as a defence, because it doesn't take away the guilt of the individual in question. Even as a kid, you soon get told "and if everyone else told you to run off a cliff, would you do it?", or words to that effect. Chuck a few out, let them work it out for themselves, and the rest will soon learn. Frankly, if some moron is part of a large group singing about faggots, I'd have no sympathy whatsoever if he ends up being the only one ejected. Won't do it again, will he?

I much prefered the earlier suggestion of wiring up the South Stand seats and shocking them like Lab rats when the songs start until they learnt, would this be Legal Edna?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
- Any report made about opposing fans at the Amex could result in action against the Albion, not the opposing club, as the Albion are in charge of crowd control at the Amex.
So just report homophobic chanting that occurs at away matches.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seriously though I beleive that because of the above if a footballer came out as gay while still playing, then he would get no protection from the taunts from fans because everything is true.

I actually think that fans, in the main, would be far more adult about it than the media would have you believe. I'm sure most of us have friends, colleagues, family members or whatever who are gay, and manage to get by on a daily basis without calling them dykes or poofs? Sure, there would be a few village idiots in every ground, but the first club whose fans launched into abuse en masse would get absolutely stuck on by the FA (and the media, probably), and the rest of us essentially decent human beings would- I'd like to think- shout them down pretty quickly. It's not the same as footballers who get caught shagging prostitutes or having it away with some desperado WAG wannabe behind their wives' backs: those footballers are doing wrong and therefore can expect stick for it. Someone just trying to live a normal life without cheating on anyone, breaking the law or going over the side doesn't deserve abuse just because he prefers men. I would be bloody embarrassed if a player finally had the guts to break the taboo and come out, and any of our fans started chanting crap at him.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I much prefered the earlier suggestion of wiring up the South Stand seats and shocking them like Lab rats when the songs start until they learnt, would this be Legal Edna?

I'm not 100% familiar with stadium construction regulations but I'll hazard a guess not.

Would be bloody amazing if we could though. Could we do the same to everyone who sings GOSBTS too quickly?

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
I have it on good authority that Mr Raj Chandarana, from the Football Supporters Federation, is a Palace fan.

Ironic really.

He is.

So guys I guess that Brighton fans (who support this issue) will be reporting their own and other fans for any chants of ANY abusive nature then ?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003

The voice of common sense.

It'll never catch on.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He is.

So guys I guess that Brighton fans (who support this issue) will be reporting their own and other fans for any chants of ANY abusive nature then ?

Could you not be arsed to read the whole thread?

It's not the mundane, dull, regular songs that teams like Palace think they've wittily just invented that cause offence, at least not to my mind. It's the unpleasant, nasty stuff that you'd easily be in line to be arrested for if you stood in the middle of West Street singing.

For what it's worth, I would just as willingly confront a bunch of Albion fans if I heard them singing "town full of Pakis" towards another club as I would Palace fans dishing out songs about faggots. Does that answer your question?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here